SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 17, 2012, 06:56 PM
Norway
Joined Nov 2005
56 Posts
Discussion
Stratair Hurricane E

Hi.
Anyone having experience with the E-version of the Stratair Hurricane V ?
I'm planning to build this model with the High-Power set-up as proposed by the manufacturer:

NEU 1515/1.5D/6.7
YGE 200 HV FAI
8S 3200 mAh
17x18 or 18x19 reinforced RFM (maybe GM 18x21 )

I believe this will deliver ample power, but rumours says this set-up tends to be on the heavy side. However, for a massive thrust I'm ready to accept the weight penalty... within certain limits

Should I think it over again and consider another set-up ?
Headmaster is offline Find More Posts by Headmaster
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:52 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,167 Posts
Quote:
Should I think it over again
For that price, i'd probably think about it for another 5 years.

jjmouris is offline Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:08 AM
OTA
Wannabee
Norway
Joined Aug 2008
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmouris View Post
For that price, i'd probably think about it for another 5 years.

Myself too, but it doesnt releave me from how fun it is seeing someone getting one

Anyway, probably not many flying these so experience may be limited.
Guess the best way to see is to summarize weight of the components intended going into the airframe and see where you end up. My best guess is that the intended setup will end up to somewhere around 3.2-3.5kg and this approximately equals to a fully ballasted F3B version Hurricane, and except from flying such a weight on a windy hang most people would say it behaves on the heavy side of the scale.
OTA is offline Find More Posts by OTA
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:45 PM
Singapore
Joined Aug 2006
312 Posts
I managed to get my hands on this bird.

I have a 8s setup on a GM 18x21 which I think is a bit on the hot side. Am still experimenting with the power train.

Other than that the plane has a humongous fuse to take all kinds of power options. Left to your imagination.

It is also very well built with a lot of attention to detail.

Some stats.....

Left Wing - 610 Grams with MKS 6125 Mini for Ailerons and Glider Servos for Flaps
Right Wing- 616 Grams
V tail - 60 grams., All carbon very light.
Tail Servos are MKS 6100....incredibly smooth and silent.But not to exceed 5 volts.
All parts fit very tightly....a little too tight so I had to sand it down a bit.
The nose cone with motor, esc,8S 3300mah TPs,prop.....1450 grams. The nose is made of glass (yes...I was a bit worried but it will take the load). All I did was added the carbon rovings in the front and back of the motor mount for re assurance

1 minor detail.....do not use the smooth Can Neu 1515....used the finned version for better fit in the fuse and better cooling. The smooth can with the short gearbox is mounted too forward and interferes with the NACA cooling ducts unless you grind off the NACA ducts that protrude inside the fuselage.

How does she fly....

Incredibly agile and light footed. Goes fast and floats well.....

AUW with the 8s setup is about 3100 grams. She does not fly like a 3kg plane......

Here is the video....... That motor could wake up the dead....literally. That field Im flying over used to be a cemetary.

Hurricane Electro V F3B (4 min 13 sec)
Gungho is offline Find More Posts by Gungho
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:06 AM
Angry Flyer!
washington state
Joined Oct 2008
383 Posts
Beautiful!
jriley1974 is offline Find More Posts by jriley1974
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:18 AM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,912 Posts
Very nice video Gungho! And a great choice of music to go with it!

I've got one of these on order too and looking forward to some fun.

I find it amusing that many manufacturers get used to making their unpowerd sailplanes carbon-free in the front, and then continue that practice on their electric sailplanes.
The nose is filled with a big battery and high current electronics and I wouldn't want my receiver antennas anywhere near that!

Lenny
Lenny970 is online now Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:36 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,167 Posts
Well it is the one F3B plane with a big enough fuselage. Just a shame about the high price tag. Maybe somebody else will follow the trend and give us a cheaper option?

Incase somebody didn't realise yet, 3 Kg is not very heavy for a plane this size. The wingloading is far lower then what we fly with on our F5B's.

Typical F5B total area = 27 dm^2
Typcial F5B RTF weight = 1650 grams
Resulting wing loading = 61 grams/dm^2

Typical F3B total area = 60 dm^2
Flying weight = 3000 grams
Resulting wing loading = 50 grams/dm^2

You would need about 3660 grams to get to a typical F5B wing loading. And that is modern day F5B, in the past it was always 75 grams/dm^2 !!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:04 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,912 Posts
Quote:
Well it is the one F3B plane with a big enough fuselage. Just a shame about the high price tag. Maybe somebody else will follow the trend and give us a cheaper option?

Incase somebody didn't realise yet, 3 Kg is not very heavy for a plane this size. The wingloading is far lower then what we fly with on our F5B's.
Yes, good point Joe. My brain doesn't think in Kg, but I did the math and found out that the 3100g weight was only 109 ounces!
Not much at all for a plane this size with this kind of power.

It would be nice if it were cheaper, but those that want one enough will pay the price.
I discovered long ago that I would rather have just a few really nice models than a whole hangar full of average models. To each his own!

Lenny
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:15 PM
>8-)
Derby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
693 Posts
Nice video Dennis. Nice plane too!
MrMagic is offline Find More Posts by MrMagic
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:18 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,167 Posts
Lenny, do you call a Viking 2 average?

To me it just seems like the only difference is the belly of the beast.

RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:29 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,912 Posts
Quote:
Lenny, do you call a Viking 2 average?

To me it just seems like the only difference is the belly of the beast.

No, not necessarily. I was only making a general statement, not comparing to any particular model.

I'm happy that they are available, though and if the price is a little high I'll choose to spend less somewhere else.

Lenny
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:42 AM
Singapore
Joined Aug 2006
312 Posts
Here are some closeups. The plane comes with the NACA vents as well as exit vents all molded in. All you need to do is put a dremal to it to open up the holes.

The tail servo tray has lots of space for you to strap stuff to it....here you see a CC bed, a TP 750mah 2s battery and the left pocket is for the RX

Interestingly enuf, the way its all wired, Stratair only arms the ESC and RX when the nose cone mates with the fuse.

I can't seem to upload photos..... It just hangs there.....
Last edited by Gungho; Apr 13, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:21 PM
Norway
Joined Nov 2005
56 Posts
Thanks for very interesting inputs. I'm going for the same set-up and I'm happy to hear that the weight has proved to be more than acceptable :-).
Gungho: From what I can see you're using TP 3850 mAh cells. Do they fit easily? Based on manufacturer recommendations I've been looking at 3200-3300 mAh cells (5s + 3s) , but now I'm considering TP 3850 too.

Does the GM 18x21 work well with this set-up?
Headmaster is offline Find More Posts by Headmaster
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:50 PM
Singapore
Joined Aug 2006
312 Posts
Hi,

I'm using TP 3300 mah batteries. 65c. The picture in my video was for test fitting. I'm still trying to sort out the final setup as using the GM 18x21 right now on 8s is still not optimal in my opinion. That setup screams as shown in the video but..........I think it's too much and it scares the hell out of me. I will be testing 7s and we shall see how it goes.

Stay tuned......and wish me luck....
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:01 PM
Singapore
Joined Aug 2006
312 Posts
Ok I tried the 7s setup this morning and I must say its a more sane setup. 8s on the 18x21 is way too hot for the overall system. On 7s it takes a while for the plane to accelerate to speed but once it gets there its fast. Not insanely fast but fast. I had to hold throttle on for between 3-4 secs for the plane to get up to speed. As usual the stalled prop sound holds on longer than your typical F5b plane of 2-3 secs bursts.

Now I'm thinking should a 18x16 work better to get the plane to bite faster and accelerate better with less prop stall.

This 7s setup is 2900-3000 grams AUW.

After the last climb and 2 mins of thermalling prior to landing, pack temperatures were about 50C. Motor was about 45C. So was the esc. No over temp cut this time for about 9-10 climbs. Total motor time 40secs and packs are down 55%. It's about there I think. Would love to try a 18x19 prop.

For those who fly in cold countries. I think you could get away with the 8s setup and not over temp the esc. But you could destroy the motor first.