Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:59 PM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
Discussion
Lanyu Do335

Hey guys,

ok, after having an OT discussion on the FMS poll thread, I think it is time we open a new thread for the Lanyu Do335.

The model comes either as a kit or as an ARF.
It already is a little older and was designed for brushed motors, so the ARF will come with those.
It has fixed gear and the option of two quite odd paintjobs...

Basically, the bird needs the following mods:
1.) brushless motors and lipos
2.) 3-blade-props and scale spinners
3.) either retracts or an enstrenghtened belly, fixed gear sucks
4.) definately a new paintjob and some nice decals

I for one have already thought about some of the points and are planning to do the following:

1.) I will try to use something like TowerPro2409-18 1000kv motors which produce some 180watts each according to the specs at HK.
Probably smaller and lighter motors would work as well and I am open for suggestions. However I don't really wanna go up concerning the KVs as I intend to use 3blade props. The TowerPro motors would work on 20A ESCs, plan to use Turnigy Plush.

2.) According to the approximate scale of the model, I'll use GWS-3bladers (still trying to get the slowflight version for scale looks, only have the HDs at the moment): a 9" for the front, an 8" for the rear motor as the rear prop on the real think was only 3.3m in diameter instead of the 3.6m at the front. The tail prop has to be a pusher (turning left) as the props are counter rotating.
For spinners, I am going to use the GWS 3blade-spinner for the front, which has about the right size and shape.
However one needs a flush-with-the-tail-section, more pointy spinner for the rear. The only one I found so far that has the right diameter (50-51mm/2inches) for that is an aluminum spinner I found at HK.
But there are two problems: the spinner is pretty heavy compared to a plastic one, which is bad at the tail because of the CG. Also, the spinner is not made for pusher props, which means the openings need to be cut which delivers potential for imbalance of the spinner. If anyone knows a pointy plastic spinner (if possible for pusher props) in that diameter, please let us know.

3.) I will try to fit etracts into the wings, as far as I know the smallest ones are the 10-15Eflites and the Changesuns from HK. Anyxone knows smaller units?
If that doesn't work, I'll have to make it a belyy flopper which I don't really wanna do as takeoff&landing is half of the fun for me

4.) For the paintjob, I use reference from the Tamiya Kit that I have here. It will be the "VG-PH", which is the second prototype that was built and the only survivor today.
The paintjob consists of RLM 65 for the belly and 81/82 for the upper side.
I'll use the decals from the Tamiya kit and have Callie make me some in the right scale.
Of course, together with the paintjob come little extras like proper exhaust stacks, supercharger intake scoops ans omitting the indentations on the battery hatch. I am however not going to glass the model as that destroys the advantages of the foam which I don't wanna give up (easy repairs etc).
Also, I will use the canopy that comes with the model even though it is not 100% perfect.

edit: I forgot two things:
- I am planning to use a 3S 2200 mAh lipo for this bird. It will probably have to go quite far into the nose in order to counteract the weight of the rear motor and spinner
- I will try to mount the motors on the sticks that are provided with the kit. Need to buy some stickmounts for that, don't know yet which ones would fit the TowerPro motors...

That's it so far. Please post any additions, comments, ideas and of course your own progress.

As soon as I start, I will take pics and post them. Also, I will work on the decals shortly and forward everything to Callie so everybody can order the decals for this bird.

Some specs about this bird:

Wingspan: 940mm/37 inches
Lenght: 935mm/36.8 inches
Main wing area: 17.8dm˛/276 inch˛
Flight weight: 740g/26.1 oz (subject to change due to the use of BL motors, lipo batt, retracts etc.)
Required servos (basic version): 3x9g (1 aileron, 1 elevator, 1 rudder)

Those are the specs as per the website.

There are two paintscheme versions available, both are very odd and definately need to be repainted, so it doesn't matter which one you choose...
Brown-Green: http://www.lanyuhobby.com/viewProduct_en.asp?flowNo=314
Green-Green: http://www.lanyuhobby.com/viewProduct_en.asp?flowNo=315

The decals that come with the kit are ridiculous, I will attach proper decals to this post shortly. Also, I will have a set for myself produced by Callie, so however wants to use the same, Callie should have it shortly. My decals will come from both the Tamiya (1:48) and the Revell (1:32)kits.
Other than that, Cutting Edge made some Do335 decal sheets: http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/do3...reviewbg_1.htm
They went out of business however, but you might be able to get some leftovers...

Cheers,
Bernhard
Beltpilot is offline Find More Posts by Beltpilot
Last edited by Beltpilot; Oct 13, 2011 at 07:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:17 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,763 Posts
Avalible at Nitroplanes in the States!
http://yhst-17210252890263.ecommerce...Ffeatured.html
TripleW is online now Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:38 PM
Joined Mar 2011
637 Posts
I believe... From looking at pics... That the Lanyu model has long ailerons running the length of the wing....

Is this correct?

Could flaps be added?
Barrett_G is online now Find More Posts by Barrett_G
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:41 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,364 Posts
Beltpilot,

These might be a little smaller then the E-flight's and Changesuns.
http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...bj33tnied7c303

Also carried at HK but out of stock. I believe FMS might be using this size for their P-51 tail wheel, if so you might be able to mod. into the nose gear with steering.

Cheers-- Stacker
stacker is online now Find More Posts by stacker
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:07 PM
Jacksonville, Fl.
Joined Jan 2010
981 Posts
Beltpilot,
This is the motor mount that comes with every Tower pro 2408-21T motor I have used. The stick mount opening is about 9.5mm x 9.5mm.
Strongbow is offline Find More Posts by Strongbow
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:39 PM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett_G View Post
I believe... From looking at pics... That the Lanyu model has long ailerons running the length of the wing....

Is this correct?

Could flaps be added?
Yep, the ailerons are long and running almost the lenght of the wing, there is a good 5cm/2inches left at the wingroot. It would sure be possible to add flaps. I for one won't make any though for now, maybe later if flight testing makes it obvious that flaps would do it good.
I will look up flap pics in the books and post them here as reference for those who wanna do them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker View Post
Beltpilot,

These might be a little smaller then the E-flight's and Changesuns.
http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...bj33tnied7c303

Also carried at HK but out of stock. I believe FMS might be using this size for their P-51 tail wheel, if so you might be able to mod. into the nose gear with steering.

Cheers-- Stacker
I think these are the units that are sold as "HKD-312" at HK. I got some of those, they are about the same size as the Changesuns/EFlites. Gonna confirm that tomorrow, it's already late here. I am afraid that these units are all to thick to fit into the wing. The alternative would be mechanical retracts with a center servo and a Changesun steerable etract unit for the nose gear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Beltpilot,
This is the motor mount that comes with every Tower pro 2408-21T motor I have used. The stick mount opening is about 9.5mm x 9.5mm.
Yeah, I have those, too. They are meant to be gear boxes as well, so they are too far off center when mounted on the sticks. Need some mounts that are built closer to the stick. However, after looking at the fuselage again, it might be necessary to construct some custom motor mounts.
Will do some pics tomorrow to show what I mean...
I guess the easiest thing would be to attach a wooden disc to the end of the stick (cut to right lenght for motor).
That said, probably a shorter, smaller motor than the TowerPro would be best. Still has to swing those 3bladers though... off to HK.com to look for possible alternative...

Cheers,
Bernhard
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:45 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Alright, Bernhard...you got me. I was looking at this kit on Nirtoplanes for a while and this thread put me over the edge. I just ordered one up!

So what happens when the front and back props don't match? Anything bad?

I'm thinking that the. Rear prop will make it difficult to rotate on takeoff...those retract legs are going to have o be long. This may be a case for hand launch/belly landing.

This will be something fun to work on while waiting for the FMS P-38.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:47 PM
Joined Mar 2011
637 Posts
Beltpilot.... Can you modify/add to your first post and add the stock specs of the model?... Maybe some pics as well!!!

When I'm at the local hobby shop and I forgot what the wingspan is, or just a question in general... It's always been convenient to go to the first page of the model's topic and read over the specs!
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:58 PM
Joined Mar 2011
637 Posts
This guy has pretty scale looking retracts on his...

LANYU MODEL Dornier Do-335 (Blush motor version) (2 min 24 sec)
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:00 PM
Jacksonville, Fl.
Joined Jan 2010
981 Posts
Quote:
Beltpilot.... Can you modify/add to your first post and add the stock specs of the model?... Maybe some pics as well!!!

When I'm at the local hobby shop and I forgot what the wingspan is, or just a question in general... It's always been convenient to go to the first page of the model's topic and read over the specs!
Length 935mm (37")
Wingspan 940mm (37.01")
Flying weight 740g
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:03 PM
Joined Dec 2009
566 Posts
long can brushed

I have been flying mine on long can speed 400 brushed motors, with apc 6x4 props I am using GWS stick mounts and running 3s lipos thru it, so far its been working out great, this is its second season, and no major problems other than having to change the brushed ESC
cgoffa is offline Find More Posts by cgoffa
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:08 PM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
Alright, Bernhard...you got me. I was looking at this kit on Nirtoplanes for a while and this thread put me over the edge. I just ordered one up!
LOL Come over to the dark side of the Wunderwaffen

Quote:
So what happens when the front and back props don't match? Anything bad?
No. The front prop will turn a bit slower and pull a little more amps. You could also use the same prop size, but I am going to use a smaller prop in the rear to 1. stay as scale as possible and 2. solve the below problem.

Quote:
I'm thinking that the. Rear prop will make it difficult to rotate on takeoff...those retract legs are going to have o be long. This may be a case for hand launch/belly landing.
That's why the real thing had a smaller rear prop. The rear prop shaft is also higher above the ground than the front shaft.
In fact, the props diameter is smaller than the diameter of the tailplane, so the lower rudder would hit the ground first and is actually the bigger problem when this becomes a belly flopper.

Quote:

Sure, will do that in the next couple of days! Just gotta take some pics and look up the specs.

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o5yp...e_gdata_player
Yeah, unfortunately he doesn't state which units he used. I think they are mechanicals, not etracts... I like that he states that his motors are blushed

Cheers,
Bernhard
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:11 PM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoffa View Post
I have been flying mine on long can speed 400 brushed motors, with apc 6x4 props I am using GWS stick mounts and running 3s lipos thru it, so far its been working out great, this is its second season, and no major problems other than having to change the brushed ESC
Yeah, that would of course work.
But I wanna use a brushless setup with 3blade props in a scalish size. 6" props would look pretty tiny on this bird...
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:11 PM
Jacksonville, Fl.
Joined Jan 2010
981 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o5yp...e_gdata_player
Those are the DSR 30T retracts from Hobby King. About $80.00 before shipping. Excellent system. I use the larger DSR 46's on my FMS P-47. Very reliable but maybe a little pricey for a $60.00 airframe.
I wonder where they purchased their blush motors though.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:18 PM
Jacksonville, Fl.
Joined Jan 2010
981 Posts
Bernhard.
Watch the video again. In the second set of Chinese script you will see DSR 30 listed. These are electric servoless.