HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:24 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJW2511 View Post
Guys having a strange problem with my GPS modules

Its not writing a log file every time, in fact probably more often it doesnt write anything then it does.

Happening on more than one different one iv tested, everything else is ok, it writes video ok, and I get flashing arduino light when holding down on the throttle to indicate comms with the gps

Am I missing something I have to do at boot to get it to make a log?

I only have the pilot019.arm file on my usb stick
Did you try a different stick? If you don't plug the stick in, it writes the log to /data/video where you can get it with ftp.
miru is online now Find More Posts by miru
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:27 PM
Joined Nov 2012
204 Posts
Good point il get them to check the drones ftp area

The one guy has tried 6 different sticks.

At what point is it meant to start logging, as soon as you hit take off? do you have to flat trim first or set home position?
SJW2511 is offline Find More Posts by SJW2511
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:32 PM
Germany, HE
Joined May 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
The video feed from the drone to the iPad, takes some horsepower, actually a drone 1 is pretty much maxed out, when you watch the front camera. The lights flashing could be the battery going down.
First i thought its the battery, but with full charged batteries its exactly the same.

After a few seconds the drone is going down with red flashing leds.
Now i close freeflight on iPad and everything works fine, so it couldnt be the battery.
That's the reason i made the mod, i want to fly with a normal tx and record with iPad

Maybe something to change in the sketch?
P.s. I use the dx8
dirkdirk is offline Find More Posts by dirkdirk
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:22 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdirk View Post
First i thought its the battery, but with full charged batteries its exactly the same.

After a few seconds the drone is going down with red flashing leds.
Now i close freeflight on iPad and everything works fine, so it couldnt be the battery.
That's the reason i made the mod, i want to fly with a normal tx and record with iPad

Maybe something to change in the sketch?
P.s. I use the dx8
What does the battery readout on the iPad say when the lights start flashing?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:26 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Good point il get them to check the drones ftp area

The one guy has tried 6 different sticks.

At what point is it meant to start logging, as soon as you hit take off? do you have to flat trim first or set home position?
It starts logging right away to /tmp/pilot.log , then 30 seconds later, after TAG 25 had a chance to come in, it decides where to put the log (USB stick or /data/video) and starts shuffling the data from /tmp/pilot.log to the permanent logfile. All logs always go into /tmp/pilot.log first, the filesystem is in RAM and much faster, then when there is a break it copies the log into permanent storage.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:11 AM
Germany, HE
Joined May 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
What does the battery readout on the iPad say when the lights start flashing?
I am not sure about the battery readout on iPad,currently i am not at home. Back at home i will do some tests wether the error is reproducible or not. Maybe i will do a short video.

Last time it comes, with flashing red leds, down i messured the lipo with my lipo-checker at about 59%.
dirkdirk is offline Find More Posts by dirkdirk
Last edited by dirkdirk; Feb 01, 2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:07 AM
Joined Jan 2013
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
For those using Turnigy 9x receiver with er9x firmware, here is a model configuration file (zipped) that can be used in eePe.

Features of this config
1) THR on CH1, AIL on CH2, ELE on CH3, RUD on CH4 (config for 9X8Cv2 8CH receiver that comes with the TX)
2) GEAR on CH5, 3-pos F.MODE switch on CH6 (N=LAND, 1=FM1, 2=FM2)
3) spring loaded TRN switch does FM2->FM1 switch (works only when in FM2, so you won't accidentally launch the Drone). That can be used to switch to FM3 mode or trigger animation easily or just switch to FM1 for a moment so the drone can stabilize.
4) THR.CUT switch triggers immediate emergency (Drone falls of the sky) regardless of the position of other switches (normally you would have to do LAND followed by THR right which takes precious time)
5) when ELE D/R switch is on 1, PIT.TRIM knob limits the max value for THR channel (between 0% and 100%) useful e.g. to adjust to changing wind
6) same with RUD D/R switch and HOV.PIT knob for RUD channel
7) same with AIL D/R switch and HOV.THR knob for AIL/ELE channels
8) timer counts down from 10:00 when on FM1/FM2/FM3 (stops when on LAND) - useful to know the real time of the flight

I think that is pretty much it.
Thank you pavelsky!!

I modified only the RUD input, so i can fly coordinated turns ;-) I put it also on the RUD switch, mixed it with AIL and also mixed it with P1 to calibrate it during flight.

Michael
Micheinrich is offline Find More Posts by Micheinrich
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:32 AM
Makers gonna make...
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,742 Posts
P.264 decoder in Java anyone?

Does anyone have the Parrot's P.264 video decoder implemented in Java or knows where I could find one?

I'm trying to make it possible to use pendrive to store video on Drone 1.0 (similarly to Drone 2.0) and the only thing I'm missing is the P.264 decoder.

I need it in Java because I'm using Javadrone project (unfortunately it only supports UVLC).
pawelsky is online now Find More Posts by pawelsky
Last edited by pawelsky; Feb 01, 2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:18 PM
Makers gonna make...
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
Is the new Turnigy 9XR the same as having the 9X with er9x code on it? What is the advantage of having the er9x in your opinion?
Turnigy 9XR Unboxing and review (24 min 34 sec)
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:18 PM
XR-4Drone.com
Joined May 2011
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
Thanks buddy. I'll take a look at it when I have a few minute of ME time.
dante1 is offline Find More Posts by dante1
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:35 AM
Joined Nov 2012
204 Posts
There is a problem with some of the drones and the main boards. My supplier has had it happen at least one of my kits and at least 7 of the MacGyver kits.

Basically you plug the mod in and it boots arduino led goes solid then nothing. Led stays lit and mod never boots.

The one I have had got returned to me for testing and worked straight away when plugged into my test drone. So we did some investigation and got some of them to get their drones replaced under warranty.

Lo and behold with a new drone/main board works perfectly. I don't know if this is a quality control issue with the main board production at parrot but it is an issue with some main boards.

Parrot won't replace the drone based on this issue though they won't condone 3rd party mods and aren't interested as the drone flies fine over wifi. People who had there's replaced had to lie about the problem, eg said it kept dropping out the sky, to get it replaced.

There probably isn't much we can do if its parrot hardware problem? seems odd it happens to so (relatively) many, but if anyone has any ideas or patterns they can spot would be much appreciated
Last edited by SJW2511; Feb 02, 2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:57 AM
Joined Nov 2012
204 Posts
Here is a better description of the problem.

http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/...php?f=8&t=4927

Quote:
Originally Posted by dargs
Hi!

I've recently got myself a AR Drone 2, and started reading this forum.. I'd ordered a premade QuadMod from iDrone, but at the same time eventually worked out that I had a spare arduino (a bigger Arduino Pro - 5v 16MHZ Atmega328) and Sparkfun level shifter board spare from other arduino projects, so bought myself a Spektrum DX6i tx with AR6210 rx on ebay.

Got it working pretty much first go! Thanks to all info on these forums and miru's page etc.. (Within half an hour of getting it working, I promptly donated to Miru's beer fund!)

First attempt was using a lot of 6" Jumper wires to connect headers on the arduino, level shiftter AR6210 and 10pin Drone port, so had lots of messy cable, but it worked!

Quick summary:
I was able to
- probe the 5v and 1.8v logic correctly.
- update the arduino code for the DXi6, and enable video record in all 4 modes,
- run the test mode with PuTTy showing the correct values coming in from the RX.
- telnet and ftp to the drone to copy accross 'at2so.h' and confirm that it was indeed copied into the tmp folder on boot up.

So was pretty happy to get that far! But was flying without the hull on, as I hadn't cut out foam.

Here's a quick video.. (can see why people mount go pros, the front camera isn't that special in low light)

[youtube]-bSnqJGY-TM[/youtube]

So I rewired everything using wirewrap instead of jumpers, was abit concerned about the current draw, but it appeared to be ok, and this time was able to mount the bigger arduino board inside the drone, still with breadboard jumpers for the AR6210 taped onto of the drone...

But was still too messy for my liking (no photos) so ordered a 5v/16MHZ 328 Pro Mini board and when that arrived re wired it for the 3rd time without headers, soldered straight to the boards with ribbon cable (6210 is still using header pins).

So the electronics is looking better... but it doesn't work..

It all looks good until, the part where at2so.h is supposed to get copied across.. So I get 3 blinks, 4 blinks, then a short solid, a blink, then it stays solid.. (i'll post a video if required).

I had a quick look with a scope, the 1.8v tx looks ok, there's a heap of serial coming from the drone as it boots, and I see a short command from the arduino just before the led stays on.. I had a look in Putty, (using FTDI power not 12v), and I can read the commands from the arduino, but the response from the drone is unreadable (tried at 115200 and 38400 baud)..

Here's the last bit of the terminal screen, before nothing else happens

I tried removing and re-copying the at2so.h file into data\video\ and tried putting it on the usb stick also.

So my first guess is I've damaged the serial port on the drone, or even tho I've checked the wiring 20 times, maybe I've still got something back to front (ie rx/tx?)

The drone still appears to operate fine with Wifi/freeflight, streams video, records to usb, flys ok, can change flight settings..

Any ideas?

Daza I might hit you up to try your quadmod with my drone.. (sorry to read about your damaged drone tho! )

Thanks
Dargs, Melbourne AU
He replaced his main board in the end and the exact same mod started working fine.
Last edited by SJW2511; Feb 02, 2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:25 AM
Makers gonna make...
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,742 Posts
Quote:
Here is a better description of the problem.

He replaced his main board in the end and the exact same mod started working fine.
Wonder if they would have the same problem with the LLC from Miru?
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:39 AM
Joined Nov 2012
204 Posts
I dont know, but I cant see how the LLC would be the problem when the exact same unit plugs into a different main board and works ok?

The common problem seems to the mainboards.

Hobbytronics do their own version of a LLC, when I get my hands on one of these 'faulty' parrot mainboards I will give a different llc a go and see what happens
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:03 AM
Makers gonna make...
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,742 Posts
Quote:
I dont know, but I cant see how the LLC would be the problem when the exact same unit plugs into a different main board and works ok?
Just different tolerance of serial port signals. It is not always 1.8V sharp.

P.S. Get one from Miru. It is better suited for the mod

http://mirumod.tk/hw/mirullc/mirullc.php