Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:18 AM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Nice to see someones still in the sandbox..
Sailing went well yesterday.

I had the Nirvana dialed in almost perfectly (who ever gets it perfect?) ).

Very light breeze, and she performed really well under the circumstances, competing against Vics and one Soling M.

Managed a few firsts, (and a few lasts , and towards the end we we hunting for a puff of air so we could actually move.
There were about 8 of us there.

No pics, sorry, too busy fighting for position.

For those who are interested, I had my vang adjusted so that the boom was raised ever so slightly, to help put some shape in the sail (offset the weight of the boom), also the outhaul was eased a bit for the same reason.

I had just a bit of tension on the jib uphaul to help with the twist there, (also seems to help the jib club swing more easily), and the forestay snugged up a bit, not too tight, but tighter than the back stay.

Seemed to work well.

Sailed up wind better than usual, and on a downwind run, got some wing on wings going early in the run.

Much as I love my new Fairwind III, at this point I'm thinking that my Nirvana is going to be the "race" boat and the FW more of a very pretty cruiser for just plain relaxing sailing. It (the Nirvana), just scoots and is so easy to make it sail really well.

Then of course eventually I'll have my footy "Brando" finished too.
I'll start a new thread in "Sailboats" for that when it's nearly finished.
I have been taking pics as I go along, but I don't want the "pressure that comes with a build thread, so I'll wait until nearly done to start posting that stuff.
It will be a neat little boat.
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Last edited by lilleyen; Dec 04, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:49 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilleyen View Post
Sailing went well yesterday.

I had the Nirvana dialed in almost perfectly (who ever gets it perfect?) ).

Very light breeze, and she performed really well under the circumstances, competing against Vics and one Soling M.

Much as I love my new Fairwind III, at this point I'm thinking that my Nirvana is going to be the "race" boat and the FW more of a very pretty cruiser for just plain relaxing sailing. It just scoots and is so easy to make it sail really well.

Ah yes...another satisfied Nirvana sailor......
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:35 PM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
488 Posts
What is the advantage of a "hard" vang vs the sheet and bowsie type vang on the Nirvana?
I need to replace mine and was wondering if it was worth the effort to go to the more solid/fixed/adjustable vang like on the Seawind.
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:42 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee CE View Post
What is the advantage of a "hard" vang vs the sheet and bowsie type vang on the Nirvana?
I need to replace mine and was wondering if it was worth the effort to go to the more solid/fixed/adjustable vang like on the Seawind.
No real BIG advantage, mainly convenience, it's a one hand quick 2 second tweak to adjust it versus at least two hands fiddling with a bowsie. Finer control maybe too.

Lately I have found I can use it in compression mode too, that is, instead of just using it to hold my boom down, I can dial in just a bit of UP on light wind days to put a little curve in the sail, well not really to put curve in it, but to offset the weight of the boom, which tends to flatten the sail by stretching it downwards.
I'm not explaining this very well, I can tell, but I think you'll know what I mean (I hope).

The one caveat is to make sure there is no resistance/friction caused by the ball swivel links. They tend to be a bit stiff when new.
This is not good on a light wind day as your boom will not swing over easily like it should.

You can use an adjustable ball link available, or if you don't have room (they are a bit bulky), you can slip a 4-40 bolt through the hole in the ball link with a nut locked on each side, put the head of the bolt in your drill chuck, smear some abrasive stuff on the ball, (rubbing compound, valve grinding compound, whatever), turn on the drill, and work the swivel all around at many different angles while the drill is spinning the ball.
This will loosen it up.
If it is already loose, a little light lubricant, like WD 40 helps too, nothing gummy.
Silicone lube is good.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:25 PM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee CE View Post
What is the advantage of a "hard" vang vs the sheet and bowsie type vang ?
Main advantage of a hard vang is that in light air the weight of the boom etc will kill any chamber just when you need it most.
KoneWone is offline Find More Posts by KoneWone
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:54 PM
Mr Happy
United States, AL, Montgomery
Joined Jul 2011
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoneWone View Post
Main advantage of a hard vang is that in light air the weight of the boom etc will kill any chamber just when you need it most.
Topping lift with bowsie on main and jib works well to adjust camber and adjusts very easily.
jppom is offline Find More Posts by jppom
Last edited by jppom; Dec 05, 2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:30 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,417 Posts
Real sailors don't need no stinkin lifties or vangies...
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:37 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,456 Posts
chidago is offline Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:32 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppom View Post
Topping lift with bowsie on main and jib works well to adjust camber and adjusts very easily.
Topping lift is great for setting twist or chamber in the Jib when you have enough tension on the fore stay however, have never seen a topping lift used on a main...are you using long mast crane ?

For the real sailors, they just strap a pillow slip to a stick and where they go is anyone's guess eh Capt !!!
KoneWone is offline Find More Posts by KoneWone
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:10 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,094 Posts
Easier to just twist the hard Vang and prop up the boom a bit.
Topping lift works well on the jib as there is no Vang.
My grandson calls it the Boom Bang.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:41 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,456 Posts
You know, the growth of this thread, and its old popularity was mainly lively conversation, and the HUGE amounts of rabbit trails, so to speak, in this thread.

I have noticed guys saying they are doing other stuff, but, dont wanna post it here...

This thread has ALWAYS been about friends meeting, discussing the Nirvana, and every other thing known to exist..which made it the fun thread it WAS..

We used to get 1-2 pages a day..look back, cars, girls, guns, all the good stuff..

How much can be said about a Nirvana???? its been said.

Pointy end goes forward, IF there is wind..fix leaks, adjust sails, fiddle with boat in general, fit new sails...THE END.

Killin this thread is easy...make it boring.

We didnt get to 500+ pages by that, trust me.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Dec 06, 2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:20 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,417 Posts
So what you saying...post pics of our girlfriends?
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:28 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,456 Posts
Yes...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:36 AM
Mr Happy
United States, AL, Montgomery
Joined Jul 2011
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoneWone View Post
Topping lift is great for setting twist or chamber in the Jib when you have enough tension on the fore stay however, have never seen a topping lift used on a main...are you using long mast crane ? :
Stock mast crane on Nirvana. I had a main boom topping lift on my real boat 30 years ago to control camber and keep the boom off the deck when the main was down, and when I saw one on the Langmeister's boats at the 2012 Regatta, it was a natural to put one on my Nirvana when I was rebuilding the rigging. For me, it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
You know, the growth of this thread, and its old popularity was mainly lively conversation, and the HUGE amounts of rabbit trails, so to speak, in this thread.

I have noticed guys saying they are doing other stuff, but, dont wanna post it here...

This thread has ALWAYS been about friends meeting, discussing the Nirvana, and every other thing known to exist..which made it the fun thread it WAS.....
Anyone have an idea as to how to get my MLC Porsche back from my son who is approaching his own MLC? It's a sweet '66 912, restored in late 80's, then I couldn't get in and out of low car, so I went to trucks and SUVs. But, I miss it. Anyone know a discreet repo man working down south?
jppom is offline Find More Posts by jppom
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:02 AM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
488 Posts
This seems a bit much when you consider the price of a new one with updated radio, although it does have the charger pack.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Megatech-32-...item4abf268ab8
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE