HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 22, 2014, 04:56 PM
Joined Apr 2014
3 Posts
Question
Hubsan Spyhawk Performance and Replacement Questions.

I have never flown a RC model aircraft up until recently when I received the Hubsan Spyhawk FPV edition as a birthday present.

No doubt thanks to the stabilisation system, I got the thing in the air and was able to fly it around with some degree of intent (fighting noticably with the wind all the time, on a day that was as almost as calm as they get where I live).

On the 2nd/3rd flight, I then decided to switch modes from 'stabilisation' to 'manual'. The result was a complete vertical nose dive into the ground the very minute I done this. Now, I realise that I have never flown RC before and therefore having unique control of the ailerons and elevators is going to be a bit tricky at first. But the first time I got given the stick of a real aircraft, I managed not to have the plane plunging 90 towards the ground. I am thinking that perhaps besides my noobishness, perhaps the Hubsan Spyhawk really isn't suited to anything else but assisted/stabilised flight as the thing is so damn light that even the slightest little bit of wind will knock it right out of its flight path without the 'stabilisation' system to keep the plane stable?

I am interested in other peoples views on how this things performs because I now have a problem. The nose dive landing resulted in either the camera, or the video processing unit (the red LED still comes on) not functioning. Also, in a subsequent flight, the canopy blew off and when I landed, (not a bad landing by any means), the wings popped out and one of the ailerons got damaged.

In short, my present lasted all of two days. I have been looking around for a replacement plane, which I wouldn't mind paying for as I could use the beat up one I have for parts n such, but I can't find any that are for sale without the Radio Transmitter device coming bundled. I could of course just buy the whole thing again, but then the Spyhawk is no longer my mother's present to me, but a RC FPV aircraft that I have bought for myself, and if I were to do that, would I really choose the Hubsan Spyhawk?

I have noticed a few retailers offering the 'Hubsan Spyhawk' with camera, but without the FPV functionality. But due to the confusing nature of the illustrations being used, I am not certain whether this is the very same aircraft body on offer and parts within (minus the FPV PCB's) that would be interchangeable with what I already have.

Having flown the thing, I was quite happy without the FPV, but admit that I do like the idea of having it there as an option.

I would be glad to hear any advice from any of those with experience of this model, perhaps with experience of swapping out broken components and whether or not the FPV version is fully 'backwards compatible' with the cheaper non FPV versions that don't come bundled with the expensive FPV controller/transmitter. If I could get the cheaper version, and perhaps stick the video processing unit from my crashed Spyhawk to see if it works, I would be glad to do this and wouldn't be too worried if it turns out the FPV is gone for good, but what I don't want to do, is to buy my whole present again, especially if the product at the end of the day, 'just really isn't that good to begin with'. I stress again, that I am concerned about the instant nose dive brought about by my switching the stabilisation mode off and am thinking that perhaps the 'manual mode' is a mere gimmick and/or for strict zero wind conditions, rather than my RC plane skills being as bad as all that.
MatTheCat is offline Find More Posts by MatTheCat
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:00 AM
Joined Apr 2014
3 Posts
Bump.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:55 AM
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Oct 2012
153 Posts
All hubsan remotes work with all hubsan aircraft. So your remote will work on Estes proto x, Hubsan X4 v2 or the H107DFPV quad copter. You should just get this.

http://www.spyhawkfpv.com/collection...ement-body-kit

rebuild your aircraft, and get another one to practice on while fixing the old one.

Fly in Stabilized mode, manual mode will be for the loops you want to do later after learning to fly a bit more. Crashes happen to everyon learning. My fix was to have extra aircraft to fall back on to keep my flying needs in check.
TonyTronicWSP is online now Find More Posts by TonyTronicWSP
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by TonyTronicWSP; Apr 25, 2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 03:03 PM
Joined Apr 2014
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTronicWSP View Post
All hubsan remotes work with all hubsan aircraft. So your remote will work on Estes proto x, Hubsan X4 v2 or the H107DFPV quad copter. You should just get this.

rebuild your aircraft, and get another one to practice on while fixing the old one.

Fly in Stabilized mode, manual mode will be for the loops you want to do later after learning to fly a bit more. Crashes happen to everyon learning. My fix was to have extra aircraft to fall back on to keep my flying needs in check.
Thanks for the reply.

I think I may get the much cheaper version without the FPV feature, which I don't really consider to be worth all the fuss, and use my existing model for parts.

Do you have experience of the Hubsan Spyhawk? If so what is your opinion on the 'manual' mode on this aircraft?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:57 AM
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Oct 2012
153 Posts
Dont use manual mode always stabilize, flys great. Strap an 808 #16 keychain camera for video better looking than on board camera. Use Velcro to attach camera. No vibrations in video.
TonyTronicWSP is online now Find More Posts by TonyTronicWSP
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iris fpv
Old May 25, 2014, 04:13 PM
Joined Oct 2009
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTronicWSP View Post

Interesting...I did not know this.....I have the spyhawk and I'd be interested in the quad copter.....is there something special you have to do in order to get the Tx to bind with the quad's receiver?
vinsonj is offline Find More Posts by vinsonj