HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:59 PM
KK4QIN
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,100 Posts
Build Log
The Bug HLG - Mosquito Class DLG

Well, I've been looking for a project that will keep me busy (as if i'm not already busy enough ), and here it is.

This glider originally had its debut in RCM, and the plans can be bought from their online site here: http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=2110

I ordered two laser cut part kits from Dave at DCPModels, and i will say that the laser cut parts look very nice and will make this go together much quicker than it would have with a blade in my clumsy hands. And the price was a steal in my opinion! Also, the packaging was second to none! If you want to order a kit from him, shoot him an Email asking about the bug.

What was included:

-All the ribs, formers, fuselage sides, tailfeathers, TE stock, basically all balsa pieces except the 1/16 balsa sheeting needed to put where the wings join.
-A parts ID Sheet
-CD with ID sheet on it and the build instructions by Carl Dowdy, who designed the Bug.

What is needed to complete:

-Carbon fiber boom
-Carbon fiber spar
-Some sort of light covering material
-Small electronics and servos
-Pushrods

Dave offers this kit in the X tail and V tail versions, but i went with the X tail as i will be putting a peg on the wing and will be DL'ing the Bug.

I will be updating this thread as i go along!

Needless to say, i'm excited. Also, any build tips are welcome, i'm new to all this.

Here are a few pics showing the great packaging and the contents.

-Seth
nightfox7 is offline Find More Posts by nightfox7
Last edited by nightfox7; Oct 26, 2012 at 01:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:19 AM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,709 Posts
Seth,

Thanks for that link to Dave's service, built a couple of thyese years ago, and as of yesterday have a renewed interest
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:27 AM
KK4QIN
Joined Jan 2012
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hogue View Post
Seth,

Thanks for that link to Dave's service, built a couple of thyese years ago, and as of yesterday have a renewed interest
No problem! it was only justified since it is such a nice little kit

I'm working on the fuselage now, get your balsa out and start building!
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:26 PM
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Jan 2008
567 Posts
Great idea on CF at the rear of the fuse. That was a weak/breaking point on mine - cauing the wing to separate from the fuse on a hard DLG toss.
samson55 is offline Find More Posts by samson55
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:29 PM
KK4QIN
Joined Jan 2012
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson55 View Post
Great idea on CF at the rear of the fuse. That was a weak/breaking point on mine - cauing the wing to separate from the fuse on a hard DLG toss.
Thanks! i figured it would be worth the weight. I sanded the fuse up earlier and man that makes a world of a difference how it looks.

do you have any tips on keeping it light?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:59 AM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
862 Posts
Long nose 1S lipo and micro gear jammed up front.
But with that saggy wing profile I would not be too optimistic...
Rusty Nail is online now Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:41 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
9,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox7 View Post
...I ordered two laser cut part kits from Dave at DCPModels, and i will say that the laser cut parts look very nice...
I visited the website, but there's no Bug mentioned anywhere. Lots of yummy WWI models though...
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:09 AM
KK4QIN
Joined Jan 2012
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up&Away View Post
I visited the website, but there's no Bug mentioned anywhere. Lots of yummy WWI models though...
That's correct, if you want to get the bug kit, send him an e-mail inquiring about it. And yes, I was tempted when I went on there.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:46 PM
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined May 2003
1,260 Posts
I sent an email over the weekend and ordered a kit. All I can say is it was dirt cheap, looking forward to it arriving.
rcsoar4fun is offline Find More Posts by rcsoar4fun
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:00 PM
KK4QIN
Joined Jan 2012
1,100 Posts
Indeed they are cheap! Can't beat it.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:32 AM
Joined Jun 2009
9 Posts
Bug HLG - Yahoo groups

Hi guys, I've just stumbled across this thread and thought you would like to know that there has been a Yahoo group dedicated to the Bug going since April 2002. It apparently followed a thread on this site which now seems to have gone.
Recently the Bug has been "updated" (with Carl Dowdy's blessing) and is now enlarged by a couple of bays in the wing, with a more modern airfoil, and slimmed down for some of the newer, smaller gear and adapted for DLG too. Plans on the "Lightnin Bug" as its now called are available for free download at the group and there is a guy in Denmark doing very nice laser cut kits very reasonably priced.

Check out Youtube "Bug HLG" for lots of original Bug action clips. I can honestly say that this is a really fun plane to fly. I just grin every time I take it out!

All the best MarkM
Flyeround is offline Find More Posts by Flyeround
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:48 AM
KK4QIN
Joined Jan 2012
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyeround View Post
Hi guys, I've just stumbled across this thread and thought you would like to know that there has been a Yahoo group dedicated to the Bug going since April 2002. It apparently followed a thread on this site which now seems to have gone.
Recently the Bug has been "updated" (with Carl Dowdy's blessing) and is now enlarged by a couple of bays in the wing, with a more modern airfoil, and slimmed down for some of the newer, smaller gear and adapted for DLG too. Plans on the "Lightnin Bug" as its now called are available for free download at the group and there is a guy in Denmark doing very nice laser cut kits very reasonably priced.

Check out Youtube "Bug HLG" for lots of original Bug action clips. I can honestly say that this is a really fun plane to fly. I just grin every time I take it out!

All the best MarkM
This is correct! The Lightnin bug is basically the same thing with a 34" wingspan, a more efficient airfoil and half ribs. I think t would be a great kit. Is this guy in Denmark cutting the new kits?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:02 AM
KK4QIN
Joined Jan 2012
1,100 Posts
Got a little done last night. School is keeping me busy.

I worked out the way to fasten down the wing without a nylon bolt, this way might be lighter.. i'm not sure.. I was worried about it not being rigid enough, but boy it is solid! i'm satisfied with it.