Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:07 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
11,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teookie View Post
This thing is cool.
I like this, someone know what it is / are their planes for it?
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:47 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith285 View Post
I was once told that a plane ejected its battery and on a fast dowline the prop spun very fast and back fed electricity into the system allowing for a quick flare to landing. I have no idea if this is true but would be fun to experiment with. I was told that if you use a starter for like nitro engines you could spin an electric motor and it would power the plane.

I highly doubt this is possible, just a rumor that I heard.
It worked for UTjason in a 68 velox. Confirmed with electric nitro starter after a safe no-battery and too-good-to-be-true landing.....at House Mountain.

Lucky I suppose...but if there'd been a separate RX pack, it would've never been required.
Bivens is online now Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:59 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,110 Posts
So all this brings up some interesting ideas... what happens then when you are in say a power off dive and the prop is spinning madly all by itself? Does the electricity generated by this backfeed the power produced by the ESC and risk causing problems to aircraft's power system?
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:13 AM
Team 3DHS
Western CT
Joined Aug 2009
2,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
So all this brings up some interesting ideas... what happens then when you are in say a power off dive and the prop is spinning madly all by itself? Does the electricity generated by this backfeed the power produced by the ESC and risk causing problems to aircraft's power system?
I seem to recall that a similar situation killed the esc of a certain vr-1. The one rocket launched at Ohio huckfest a few years back. The prop was spinning so quickly on the upline, that the each no longer worked. Luckily, there was still power for the servos. I believe the plan had been to rocket launch it, then fly it with the lipo on board, but they ended up just gliding it down.
CrashesALot is offline Find More Posts by CrashesALot
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:16 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
11,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
Someone needs to set up a data logger and test? Mike will do it.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:28 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
The thing that baffles me with this, is that I thought the esc had a bunch of MOSFET's in it to turn power on and off to the different windings of the motor. How the heck to these things work in reverse? I guess there's a way...

Also, based on what I've read, back EMF is opposite to input voltage.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:52 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,394 Posts
I was told by castle with rc car escs that when you hit the breaks it back feeds the electricity from the motor to the battery as the esc can not dissipate that much power at one time with out dumping it to the battery. A spinning motor is a generator.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:02 AM
Aerobatic Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2007
2,881 Posts
If I move a servo back and forth with a capacitor plugged into the RX I can get the spektrum RX to flicker and light up if I have the TX on for it to connect to. The servo acts like a generator powering the RX and the capacitor makes it easier since its holds some of the charge like a temporary battery.

I plugged in a voltmeter to the RX and I could generate 4 volts by moving the servo back and forth. Its easy experiment on an rc car since they usually only have one servo and a capacitor plugged in
HugoCraft is offline Find More Posts by HugoCraft
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:13 AM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
It's something I got bored and made, no plans. Sizing was more "hey this looks about right" than anything else. There are lot of videos & tips if you go to the "Foamies (Scratchbuilt)" forum and then look in the "Foamboard Scratchbuild University" thread. You buy a couple sheets of dollar tree foam board, covert them in packing tape, and hot glue them together. If you really want more info about the plane, send me a PM.
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:27 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
11,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace4 View Post
It's something I got bored and made, no plans. Sizing was more "hey this looks about right" than anything else. There are lot of videos & tips if you go to the "Foamies (Scratchbuilt)" forum and then look in the "Foamboard Scratchbuild University" thread. You buy a couple sheets of dollar tree foam board, covert them in packing tape, and hot glue them together. If you really want more info about the plane, send me a PM.
Thanks,... I will look around the thread and see what I can sort out. There is nothing wrong with winging it.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:30 AM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
I was told by castle with rc car escs that when you hit the breaks it back feeds the electricity from the motor to the battery as the esc can not dissipate that much power at one time with out dumping it to the battery. A spinning motor is a generator.
It's like Dynamic Braking or Regenerative Braking:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regenerative_braking
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:10 PM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
It's the brushless aspect of airplane motors that confuses me. I understand how a brushed motor acts as a generator.

I guess that ESC's can work in reverse. They are such complicated little bits of tech that it surprises me.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:26 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
It looks like the fuselage is made from a piece of ABS plastic gutter drain pipe. There used to be a couple of planes that were made from the stuff called the Duraplane, and the Durabat. The Duraplane was a sport trainer, and the Duabat was a more aerobatic version.....

Edit....I guess they are still made......Duraplane However, it seems the Durabat is now called the "Aerobat"...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:43 PM
United States, TX, Palacios
Joined Feb 2009
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
It looks like the fuselage is made from a piece of ABS plastic gutter drain pipe. There used to be a couple of planes that were made from the stuff called the Duraplane, and the Durabat. The Duraplane was a sport trainer, and the Duabat was a more aerobatic version.....

Edit....I guess they are still made......Duraplane However, it seems the Durabat is now called the "Aerobat"...

SteveT
Hey, that was my first plane ever...I had the Taildragger version of the old Dura-plane...K&B .20 Sportster and 3 channel...
SportFlyer2 is offline Find More Posts by SportFlyer2