Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 13, 2006, 09:28 PM
Does it come in Flouro??
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
706 Posts
Discussion
Foamie Building and Flying in Schools...

Is anyone here working with kids in a secondary school, building and flying planes?

I work in a large (1300 students) Australian High School and we have been doing it for a couple of years, Next year - our school year starts Jan/Feb - we will have up to 60 students involved in the program.

I would be interested to hear from anyone else involved in this sort of thing to swap ideas.

Thanks
Numb Thumbs
Numb Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Numb Thumbs
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:06 PM
Oregon, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,124 Posts
Numb Thumbs,

A few years ago I taught High School woodshop and my students built Electric Sailplanes. We built them in teams of four, so five planes plus the instructional demo plane. We built the Skimmer 400 from Hobby Lobby. Very reasonable price and a nice stable platform. The dihedral rather than polyhedral also helped speed the project along. I think that with the new battery technolgy it would be even better.

I think there is a deal in Australia from ..? Ill look it up and edit this in a sec.
Tony
Tshires is offline Find More Posts by Tshires
Old Nov 19, 2006, 07:28 PM
I like foam
outside of philadelphia
Joined Nov 2005
287 Posts
Gentlemen,

I am working with students in a high school setting, in south eastern Pennsylvania, USA, and we're building and flying all sorts of aircraft. My beginner students start with a foam trainer from FoamFly.com, called the Frog. I'm having my advanced students build, the balsa model Buttercup, designed by Fred Reese. It's not a kit, but I've made a kit of it to use in our club. I redrew the plans, and use our laser cutter to cut the parts.

I've been running the club for four years now, and love teaching the students about RC flying, full scale flying, and model building techniques. Check out the club's website, I update it regularly.

There are approximately twelve students in the club, and they come after school for a couple hours every Wednesday. I usually have some sort of demo for them about something in the hobby. Last week's demo was calculating flight time based on current draw.

I'd be happy to share ideas about the club, as long as they don't get inverted on the way to the upsidedown part of the world.

-Mike
mikeythev is offline Find More Posts by mikeythev