HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:13 AM
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
Help!
Motor Mount

Hi Guys,

I've just recently started building flying wings and I've hit a bit of a stumbling block. I want to build my own motor mount but am not quite sure what would be the best method of doing so. I want to make a 90 degree bend in a piece of aluminum, but this requires the use of a brake. Is there any other way of doing this? I already looked at some YouTube videos and there were some options for DIY brakes, but I'm wondering what other people are doing. Essentially, I want a motor mount that will be approx. 1.5 inches vertical, have a degree bend, and then go approx. 4 to 5 inches horizontal. This will be used as a pusher style mount for my delta wing. Any advice and/or pics would be greatly appreciated. fwiw, I have done a search on the thread forum for this and could not come up with what I was looking for, hence why I started this thread.

Many thanks
Eden
EdenSmith123 is offline Find More Posts by EdenSmith123
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:41 AM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
417 Posts
I think your overthinking it. You don't need a brake for that small piece. Use a vice and a hammer on an aluminum strap. Even easier is to get a simpson angle tie at home depot or lowes for about 60 cents. It's not aluminum but thin galvanized and I've used them the little bit of extra weight won't bother anything. You just have to redrill the motor holes missing the nailer holes already in it but I've done it.

I build flying wings also and even easier than that is to use a stick mount if you have a motor that can use them. If you glue the stick to the bottom with the mount up it puts the motor almost perfectly centered with the trailing edge so no downthrust is required.
Low and Slow is online now Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:22 PM
You laugh... But it flies!!!
United States, MO, Rocky Mt
Joined Oct 2013
352 Posts
I used something like this on three of the Versa Wings that I made. The motor mount that screws onto the motor is held to the wire firewall by some thinner wire that I had laying around. The thicker wire (the "fire wall") is whatever thickness you need to get the stiffness that you need. Make the dimensions according to the size of the motor mount.

Be safe and have fun,
Tommy
TEAJR66 is offline Find More Posts by TEAJR66
Old Jul 13, 2014, 02:59 AM
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low and Slow View Post
I think your overthinking it. You don't need a brake for that small piece. Use a vice and a hammer on an aluminum strap. Even easier is to get a simpson angle tie at home depot or lowes for about 60 cents. It's not aluminum but thin galvanized and I've used them the little bit of extra weight won't bother anything. You just have to redrill the motor holes missing the nailer holes already in it but I've done it.

I build flying wings also and even easier than that is to use a stick mount if you have a motor that can use them. If you glue the stick to the bottom with the mount up it puts the motor almost perfectly centered with the trailing edge so no downthrust is required.
Hi Low and Slow,

Thank you for your input. The simpson angle tie is what I am using currently as well... but having some degree of customization would be nice. I went to home depot the other day, and the guy recommended the same solution you provided (hammer and vice). I will give it a try. Many thanks again
Old Jul 13, 2014, 03:00 AM
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAJR66 View Post
I used something like this on three of the Versa Wings that I made. The motor mount that screws onto the motor is held to the wire firewall by some thinner wire that I had laying around. The thicker wire (the "fire wall") is whatever thickness you need to get the stiffness that you need. Make the dimensions according to the size of the motor mount.

Be safe and have fun,
Tommy
Thank you Tommy
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:04 AM
Wilson, NC
Joined Aug 2009
217 Posts
Here is what I used on my wing:
villapilote is offline Find More Posts by villapilote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 09:37 PM
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by villapilote View Post
Here is what I used on my wing:
Hi Villapilote,

Thank you for sharing these pictures - they look really good. The second picture, how did you manage to get that 90 degree bend in the metal? Also, did you use a regular drill bit for those four holes?

Thanks again!
Old Jul 14, 2014, 09:04 AM
Wilson, NC
Joined Aug 2009
217 Posts
Hi EdenSmith123
The mount is made from 1/8th thick light-ply plywood. I'm basically showing how clamps made from standard cloth line clips, can be used to clamp many pieces together until the epoxy glue dries.
villapilote is offline Find More Posts by villapilote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 04:20 PM
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by villapilote View Post
Hi EdenSmith123
The mount is made from 1/8th thick light-ply plywood. I'm basically showing how clamps made from standard cloth line clips, can be used to clamp many pieces together until the epoxy glue dries.
Oh I see. That looks really solid. Thank you for your help