Old May 03, 2014, 09:41 PM
Naval gazing
United States, MA, Boston
Joined May 2008
1,228 Posts
Discussion
a good beginner scale sailboat?

is there such a thing?

I'm new to sailboats so an engineer friend was urging me to get a nonscale one to learn on first but i really like scale boats in general. I may yet get, say, a Dragonforce RG65 but if there's also a scale option that doesn't require more than 2 radio channels, that would be great too.

thanks in advance.
spacephrawg is offline Find More Posts by spacephrawg
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2014, 03:52 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,581 Posts
KY Model Mariner

If you want a scale ARTR sailboat that you can kit bash into a nice looking classic yacht, I'd consider the Mariner from KY Model. Its actually a motor sailor with (and God only knows why) one of those cheap standard rigs found on any multitude of Chinese ARTR sailboat you see peddled online. I've seen them up close at my LHS & at local shows &, aside from that ugly rig, its a nice looking boat, well built & detailed right out of the box. The first thing I'd do would be to replace the mast & sails with something more akin to its intended appearance.

IMEX sells it in the States & has been known to discount it heavily - a friend picked one up for next to nothing last year at the WRAM show.

http://www.imexrc.com/servlet/the-15...SAILING/Detail
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old May 09, 2014, 02:42 PM
Naval gazing
Joined May 2008
1,228 Posts
The keel looks a bit shallow on that is that sort of thing par for the course with scale sailers?
Old May 27, 2014, 04:37 PM
United States, UT, Murray
Joined May 2014
17 Posts
I know this is an older post (May 9th) but if you go to the sailboats section there's a bunch to look around (you probably already figured this out...)

http://www.rcgroups.com/sailboats-59/

I'm in the same boat I'm looking into getting into the RC sailing... some boats I've heard are good for the rookies are micromagic's/victoria's/nirvana's/kyosho's...(just google "rc sailboat victoria" for example) but you probably want to research before you buy just in case you are thinking of racing it in the future. I've also heard you should go to your local club or google and find out what people in your area are running around with...

I've heard basically any boat is a good starter boat so your dragonforce sounds and looks like a good one (I've been looking at those too..)

Good luck!

**there's also a few boats for sale in the classified section on rcgroups.. even amazon has a few.
Matthew007b is offline Find More Posts by Matthew007b
Old May 27, 2014, 05:34 PM
Naval gazing
Joined May 2008
1,228 Posts
The operative word here is scale. The dragon force, micro magic and others are semis cake at best.

Soling makes a few scale offerings but they are for advanced modelers.
Old May 29, 2014, 01:20 PM
Joined May 2014
17 Posts
Oh crap I'm sorry I re-read your original post..

I fully understand.. I'm also looking for something that LOOKS like a boat instead of a blank hull and sails..

You probably already found some of these but these have some more details...

Thunder Tiger Odyssey II (you probably already saw this on tiger's site..) heard this is a decent starter.. light winds generally..

Kyosho Fairwind III (they don't make this anymore sadly..) It's still on Japan's website but.. not here in the U.S... looks great sails great too from what I hear...sucks.

Tamiya Round the world Yamaha (discontinued sadly..) these are gold..heard nothing but good about these..

Kyosho Fortune 612 like the odessy the reviews are generally good but only in light winds..

This might be what you're looking for.. this group called handcrafted model ships has a ready to run...with props.. looks nice...found this on amazon and has a lot of detail... the props would probably cause mass drag but the option of running around on props is nice..expensive but lots of detail. **edit just looking at the pictures..I'm not sure if this is a true sailboat or not..**

Anyway probably nothing you're looking for but some ideas. Maybe the oddessy or fortune 612 as decent starters I hear.. nothing to race with long term but they look pretty good...

Cheers
Last edited by Matthew007b; May 29, 2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old May 29, 2014, 05:03 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Aug 2006
106 Posts
Those are some great options but hard to find ,some of those. I'm also a scale guy and like my boats to look realistic as possible. I just purchased a new to me, seawind and it has some nice details and is a proven design . I also have the etnz modeled after the 2007 ac cup , and it also looks very nice .
stevo7896 is offline Find More Posts by stevo7896
Old May 29, 2014, 09:03 PM
Naval gazing
Joined May 2008
1,228 Posts
Those are all beautiful. The sea wind might be a bit advanced for me since this would also be my first foray into scale sail. Perhaps in that case I should just get a simple no scaler to learn on and then get something more scale?

I have an engineer friend who does rc scale sailing and he said and I quote "just get a soling 1m. It's great for your skill level, great to learn on". Riiiiight. Well to him, rocket science is literally as easy as calculating a tip. But he also said the seawind is a good boat too something to work towards.

The thunder tiger whatever pictured above is the sort of thing I was hoping for looks wise but where I live which is in Boston MA, the winds are crazy.
Old May 30, 2014, 01:08 AM
Joined May 2014
17 Posts
I've never tried RC sailing myself and I'm leaning towards the seawind readyset too like stevo7896.. it's a tough call..I've heard the seawind is a good starter boat too and can be tuned to race..and sails really well... (shares the same hull design as the older version). My worry is buying a small boat and not being able to handle heavier winds.. or regret not buying a full size boat..

But aaaugh I wish it was more scale

Seawind

Kyosho Seawind Racing Yacht(海風號) (1 min 31 sec)

Thunder Tiger Odyssey II

thunder tiger odyssey Sjemonow.mov (4 min 59 sec)

fairwind III...
Rc Sailboat Kyosho FairWind 900 lll (2 min 32 sec)

it's a tough call, I'm in the same situation haha..so don't let me push you one way or the other.. I'm saving up plus at the moment I don't have a car that can transport it at the moment (process of selling a car too...I have a tiny Miata and that doesn't work with sailboats haha..) but yeah *IF* I could find a Tamiya round the world Yamaha or Fairwind III (sometimes called the 900) I would jump on those myself because they look great out of the water.. but me personally I'm leaning towards the seawind and I'll probably paint it to look like a real luxury yacht and maybe get some balsa wood to set on the deck behind the wheel and maybe a figurine or two if I can find one...

anyway good luck it's tough shopping for one!

**heard good stuff about soling and stevo's etnz...
Old May 30, 2014, 01:11 AM
Joined May 2014
17 Posts
alright I'm done blabbing about my ideas - I'll let someone who's actually sailed chime in but...yeah good luck on the choices!
Old May 30, 2014, 02:15 AM
Naval gazing
Joined May 2008
1,228 Posts
My engineer friend told me the seawind is not for beginners because it has separate controls for each of the two sails whereas simpler boats have one winch servo to control both sails. The seawind apparently requires greater knowledge of scale sailing or something.
Old May 30, 2014, 11:26 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,951 Posts
Most sailboats have just one control for both sails. Boats racing in a class may be restricted to one control by the rules as well. The Seawind and Fairwind are two channel boats normally, so the one your friend saw with separate controls may have been modified by the original owner.
As for 'beginner' level boats, they all do the same thing and sail the same way, so if you can sail a 12" Footy you can sail a 7' J-Boat. Storage, transport and overall cost should be your considerations. Higher tech boats like US 1M or Marblehead may have a higher introduction cost, but they are racing platforms and lack any scale details.
I like the both the Seawind and Fairwind. I built 20 Fairwinds for the local yacht club and I built a friends Seawind a few years back. Nice boats, and they do have small issues. Maybe a different rig/sail option is for you if you sail in stronger winds all of the time.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old May 30, 2014, 11:32 AM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Aug 2006
106 Posts
The seawind is simple as it gets. One servo brings is the sails
stevo7896 is offline Find More Posts by stevo7896
Old May 30, 2014, 01:24 PM
Naval gazing
Joined May 2008
1,228 Posts
Sounds good to me. I suspect I would perpetually run whatever I got with a rig best suited to greater wind speed.

Eventually I would like to have a scale schooner one of these decades. That and/or a homebut adaptation of a late American civil war ironclad schooner that got sold to the Japanese after the south surrendered. The original name of it was the CSS stonewall.

For now a scale racing sloop like we are talking about should be all I need I think.

My engineer friend thought that the seawind would be a bit much for a beginner, scale or not, because of the size too. I don't have a car and would probably have to take public transport and walk a bit to the nearest water. I once saw a custom built coffin for a model sailboat that someone had put on the roof of his car and between that and seeing many a wheeled cello case in my day, a wheeled case for the boat, wooden and fiberglassed, and internally padded seems like a workable idea if slightly crazy.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.
Old May 30, 2014, 04:59 PM
Joined Aug 2006
364 Posts
You really do not need to be so concerned about strong winds knocking your boat down and possibly sinking it because those sailboats mentioned above, and any others, all generally have access hatches that are sealed to stop inflow of water. You will quickly learn that if your boat is knocked down by the wind, all you have to do is turn into the wind and/or let the sails out which will allow the boat to return upright. Sailing is great fun, not hard to learn, and quite relaxing on a nice day. I agree that your main consideration should be how large a boat that you can transport to the water. Larger boats can be less "twitchy" because of their size, but if it is too big to transport, that is a moot point. But DO get a sailboat! The Seawind is a nice boat, no harder to handle than any other. I have a CR914, a scratch built 35 lb full keel Marblehead and a 7 ft two-masted schooner, and they all sail the same way.
beneteau3 is offline Find More Posts by beneteau3
Last edited by beneteau3; May 30, 2014 at 05:05 PM.