HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2013, 04:39 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,974 Posts
Alert
70mm Fan 10.25lbs Thrust at 6kw, ... At 8.5lbs, 4.9kw, Efflux Measured at 310mph

Well I can`t help it. I tried to not start a new thread, but this is just too exciting (for me anyway. I finally got my Haoye rotor spinning fast enough to make me happy, (even though I do think there is still a little more still left in this fan)

Since I was having trouble with loosing sync at about 48k with the outrunners, I`ve been wanting to try a big inrunner. The catch has been a method for making the shaft long enough without a special order $300 motor or paying for special machine work for an adapter. I finally found a solution, more on that later after it`s been well tested.

What I would like to share are the performance numbers of this fan/motor combo. It`s a game changer IMHO if you are after all out speed. I think this combo has the potential to do better than 220mph, seriously.

Enough predictions, here`s the info.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the March 2014 test equipment and data

Current Tests Detail starts at post #350

Shroud (I think this shroud came with the original CS 70-10b)
Rotor....Haoye 75mm cut down to 70mm (7 blade)
Motor...Turnigy Fan Drive 36mm 1900kv 5mm shaft
ESC....YEP 120hv
Lipos....Dinogy 65c 3700 10s

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Latest Test Numbers

Watts....4.7kw
Amps.....130a
Volts.....36
RPM.......aprox 58k
Thrust.......8.5lbs
Efflux (est)......310mph
Exhaust at 75% FSA

Here`s a screen shot of the CC data. It`s only a 6 second run, but the top was already off of the charge. Also some pics of the fan.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Mar 16, 2014 at 11:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2013, 06:02 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,702 Posts
Man....

With that kind of power, centered by a (pine? Red oak?) dowel, I am most anxious to see what you use for the shaft extension.

Almost as anxious to see what this will do in your homemade projectile . Lord, I hope you have a nice, wide-open field to fly that around.

p.s. - engineering data tells us there's 746 watts to 1 horsepower; reality shows us it's closer to 1,000 watts / hp. Either way it's taken, that's between 4-1/2 to almost 6 hp! Holy crow.
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Last edited by PikeStaff; Dec 14, 2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: .......stoopit spell check.......
Old Dec 14, 2013, 06:18 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,974 Posts
You know what? I'm seriously thinking about putting it in my Sniper 90 XL.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2013, 07:45 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,702 Posts
It would work . A stiff 80% thrust tube added....and yeehah!
Old Dec 14, 2013, 07:57 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,974 Posts
I`m going to put it on this first. It`s been sitting, waiting for a fan for over a year now. AUW should be about 7lbs.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2013, 08:02 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,702 Posts
Even better. No long discharge run, clean short inlet.....oughta work great.

Still. In your speed bullet this thing gets same benefits. Just a lot less airplane to push. Gotta get video of whatever it goes into - and hope the cameraman is up to the task.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 08:03 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,928 Posts
55K rpm!
Sure hope nothing lets go or anything could happen.
Best of luck with your speed quest.
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Dec 14, 2013, 08:16 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,974 Posts
Yeah, I hear ya. 55k really isn`t that unusual on a 70mm, but this rotor is very aggressive and makes good use of all those revs.
In early tests that I did with this fan (a year ago) I thought that I had seen 7.5lbs of thrust, but my rig wasn`t too good, so I wasn`t sure about it. This is the first time that I`ve been able to really let it run up and stretch the scale. When I saw 8lbs 14oz, I thought that I had not zeroed out the scale properly. So I set it back up and retested it. 9lbs even!!! Couldn`t believe it.

One other thing. If The CC numbers are correct on voltage and RPM. At 4.5kw the motor is spinning at 90% of it`s unloaded KV.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Dec 14, 2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:47 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,974 Posts
I got the new plywood ring made and mounted tonight. It`s going to look like a mini turbine back there instead of a big ol` fan.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2013, 05:29 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,418 Posts
Holly Cow! Quite the accomplishment and earned recognition for this break through.
I'm happy for you my friend because I knew you had the idea sometime ago but now it is a reality! Persistence toward a goal is a lost commodity in America, Congrats!
Now, tell us how you did the shaft extension!
Tom
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Dec 15, 2013, 07:35 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,974 Posts
Thanks a bunch Tom. You, as well as anyone, know how much time I`ve spent trying to find something that will really honk, and hopefully would also be something that other could benefit from and duplicate themselves.

Something like this can eventually change the hobby for the better once the manufacturers catch on and adjust to the power shift.

Of course, most of the Chinese manufacturers still consider a 90mm fan to be something that needs to be run on 6s or 8s maximum. So who knows if they will ever really see the potential of something like this.

Later today I`m going to take the fan apart for inspection and to add thread locker to critical areas. When I do, I`ll post internal pics and some explanation to go with them. You guys just have to promise not to hurt yourselves.

I`ll also show my planned improvements. I need to buy one tool to make it work.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2013, 12:38 PM
Battery Puffer
Orange, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,019 Posts
Nice job Lee
I would like to add 65 F is cold for a lipo. Try warming them to 90+ and you will see a difference.
The dinogy batteries hold there voltage under load better than most packs on the market today and really shine under high amp draw. Can't wait to here how this set up works in a jet.

Mark
MarkF is offline Find More Posts by MarkF
Old Dec 15, 2013, 02:35 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,974 Posts
Yes, that`s why I made a point of the lipo temps, because they will do better if warmed up for sure.

I`m pretty sure they will get up to temp when I put this fan in the air. LOL

BTW, I`m very impressed with the Dinogys so far. Even cold they don`t drop below 3.7 until you hit them with over 100A and they just have a few cycles on them. Broken in and warmed up, these things are going to kick butt.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2013, 03:14 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,974 Posts
Man, I`m having fun with this motor this weekend. So, since I needed to take the 70mmapart to check everything and lock the threads, I started thinking....dangerous.

The 70mm is so powerful that I was tempted to put it in my Sniper XL. If it was the small Sniper 90, I`d do it for sure. But what if the fan was a little bigger? I just happen to have a 75mm Haoye shroud that I bought mainly for the rotor.

So I cut down a 90mm rotor and finished it off with an aluminum spinner from a one piece 12 blade 90mm rotor. The rotor was pretty easy to balance and clock, but the spinner needed some work to get it to run smooth.

I`m about to run it up with a fresh charge on the Dinogys. I`ll also test the thrust. I seriously think this may go in the XL. In a Habu 80mm....can you imagine? Too bad the Habu race is over. LOL
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2013, 04:46 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,974 Posts
75mm Numbers

I got the numbers on the 75mm and they are very good as expected and are bigger than the same motor in the 70mm due to the higher load of course.

Watts...... 5.25kw
Amps........127a
RPM...........50k
Thrust.......10lb,14oz

The thrust was execlent at almost 11lbs..... 10lb 14oz. I have no idea what the efflux speed is, but I`m sure that it`s somewhere over 300mph.

There`s the graph with some settled numbers shown at the bottom.

I don`t see any reason to NOT put this in the Sniper XL. Plenty of thrust and amazing efflux, it should be awesome.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Dec 15, 2013 at 04:52 PM.