Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 09, 2013, 09:02 PM
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,739 Posts
Discussion
Yet Another Byron F-16 build

This all started two year's ago at the E-Jet's event. I was walking past Easytiger's tent when I noticed a Byron F-16 fuselage sitting on the ground out front. No wings, tailerons, Vertical stab, Canopy, ventral fins or nose cone. Just the fuselage but the price was right, $50.

So I hunted down Curtis and asked about it and he said several folks had indicated an interest in it and if I wanted it I'd better get it while I could. I pulled out my wallet and counted up the green stuff but unfortunately it didn't add up to the fifty he was asking. I thought about leaving the event and finding an ATM but since I didn't have a clue where the nearest one was I figured by the time I got back the fuselage would be gone and I'd just be wasting my time.

I told Curtis I was short and would have to pass. He asked how short I was and when I told him he said to give him what I had and the fuselage was mine. I paid him before he could change his mind and walked off with the fuselage and a big grin on my face. This stuff never happens to me so I really appreciated what Curtis did for me. It was truely one of the high lights of that E-Jet trip. Heck, even my wife was impressed when I got home with the beast.

So this will be a little bit different Byron F-16 conversion. Closer to a scratch build in that all that other stuff will have to be made.

I decided I didn't want to tackle the large canopy so I contacted Iron Bay about buying one. I figured I could make the nose cone but as long as I was placing an order I might as well find out how much for the nose cone. They wanted more for just the nose cone than I paid for the whole fuselage so I took a pass on that and just got the canopy. While they weren't the quickest at responding I usually had an answer to my emails in a couple of days. I know other people have had issues with slow service from them but once I paid for the canopy I had it within a couple of weeks.

This build is a little different also in that the maiden has already happened. Since I prepared drawings for each piece I had to create I wanted to make sure it all
ended up in a jet that actually flies. No sense sharing a bunch of bad info with folks.

Hopefully the info here will help someone who's just got a deal on a Byron F-16 and needs to make some relacement parts. There's not a lot of things that are new under the sun so I'm only gathering the data here and not claiming this is all my great ideas. Here are some of the previous Byron F-16 build threads I have referenced.

How To Convert a Byron F-16 to Electric
Electric Byron powered F-16
Another Byron F-16 conversion
Electric Byron F-16 Build

Dan Eaton
eatond is offline Find More Posts by eatond
Last edited by eatond; Sep 16, 2013 at 09:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2013, 05:36 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,773 Posts
Here is Dan's maiden. No landing video as my services were needed on the trims

Dan's Byron Original F-16 Converted to EDF..Maiden Flight (0 min 36 sec)
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Last edited by Kevin Cox; Sep 10, 2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 07:02 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,845 Posts
Is that a byron fan? Sounds kinda like a turbax
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Sep 10, 2013, 07:06 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,773 Posts
Hey C/N I think its a Turbax but we will let Dan answer for sure
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Sep 10, 2013, 07:14 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,325 Posts
awesome job Dan, hope to see it in person one day
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Sep 11, 2013, 08:50 AM
Joined Nov 2002
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Is that a byron fan? Sounds kinda like a turbax
Hi CN,
good ear, it is a modfied Turbax fan. I made a new centerbody and used the heli outrunner motor from HobbyKing. I'll be providing the details on that. Plenty of power for the F-16. Most of that flight was made at half throttel. Might be a little noiser than it should be because I don't have an intake lip on it right now. All that dirty air is smacking into the fan that's mounted on a flat plate that mounts in turn to the former. I have plans for cleaning up the airflow but clearly things work as they are right now.

Dan Eaton
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:38 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,845 Posts
heck, a full duct would probably work on a byron with a turbax. i know we used one on a cermark f-16 with a turbax. flew well for only 4500w
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:14 AM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,832 Posts
Great job Dan!!!
gunradd is online now Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:23 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,635 Posts
if you want to try a lip ,i can make my dynamax inlet ring fit a turbax.just shoot me a pm for details.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Sep 11, 2013, 03:29 PM
Joined Nov 2002
1,739 Posts
Quote:
heck, a full duct would probably work on a byron with a turbax. i know we used one on a cermark f-16 with a turbax. flew well for only 4500w
Hi CN,
probably would, but it would be a fair amount of work involving not only the ducting but moving the nose gear so it's not protuding into the duct. My thoughts on cleaning up the airflow is to make a proper intake lip and extended it out with tubing about four inches or so. That'll give the air coming in a chance to settle down before slamming into the fan blades.

Quote:
Great job Dan!!!
Thanks Kris,
whenever I start to get carried away on this project I hear you saying it's a Byron F-16 so don't get too carried away.

Quote:
if you want to try a lip ,i can make my dynamax inlet ring fit a turbax.just shoot me a pm for details.
Hi AS,
Thanks, I think I have a handle on it but good to know you have an alternative.
You ever going to get to work on that F-15?

Quote:
awesome job Dan, hope to see it in person one day
Hi MustangAce17,
Thanks. I don't think I'll make it back to Ocala so your going to have to come to Ejets (or the Jet Jam) next year.

Dan Eaton
Old Sep 11, 2013, 06:13 PM
Joined Nov 2002
1,739 Posts
Propulsion - Battery Bay

So we'll start with the battery cage, then do the ESC holder, fan, and then thrust tube.

Like all glow fan models the fan sits pretty close to the CG so forget putting the batterys under that nice big canopy. They need to sit behind the canopy just in front of the cheater hole. Which is a big empty space in the fuselage.

Looking at the other threads I copied the battery bay design they used where the bay hangs down from the upper fuselage to keep the batteries from fouling the airflow coming in the front inlet. When I had the bay built I sanded the fuselage surfaces where it would mount with 80 grit sandpaper and then scrubbed it down with vinegar. Once it was all nice and dry I mixed up some West epoxy along with their 403 Microfiber Adhesive Filler and glued the bay in place.

I'm using two 5S Turnigy 5000mAh packs and the bay is longer than the packs to allow some adjustment for the CG. Once I figured out where the batteries needed to be I glued a stop across the back of the bay to locate the batteries correctly. A 3/4 inch Velcro strap across the front prevents the batteries from sliding forward. The maiden flight was made and there were no problems other than there's not a lot of room to cinch down the two 3/4 inch Velcro straps I use to secure each battery in place. What could go wrong?

Well, those glue joints could fail. I feel pretty good about the joints I made and there wasn't a problem mentioned in the other threads but you got a lot of mass being supported by the bay from the top of the fuselage. If the glue joints fail there's a good chance the battery bay is going to fall down AND back. Maybe by an inch or two. Assuming nothing gets sucked into the fan and trashes the rotor you're looking at flying a jet with the CG suddenly alot more towards the rear than I was planning on.

I'm probably over thinking this but for my piece of mind I've modified the bay design to have two .210 carbon rods attached to the front and rear of the bay. Their ends run over and rest on the wing shelf so the battery bay is supported on the bottom in addition to the top. You could of course redesign the front and rear formers to extend to the wing shelf but the bay sits at an angle to the shelf. The front rod on mine comes across the very bottom of the front bay former. The rear rod comes across about half way up the bottom part of the rear former. I've attached a picture to show this along with the PDF plan of the bay.

Dan Eaton
Last edited by eatond; Sep 11, 2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 02:30 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,635 Posts
the F-15 ...no thats the second big project in the que...i have no drawing at the scale of the plug so it all has to be figured out .but yeah i need to get going on it . life is getting in the way too ..so is the day job...i mean night job
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Sep 12, 2013, 06:18 AM
Chris
bundaberg
Joined Jun 2004
36 Posts
Looks like a great idea , imagine the force on those formers in a turn , better safe than sorry, my f16 had the same setup ,the glue joints did start to pull away in time. Cheers Chris
thespit is offline Find More Posts by thespit
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:41 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,702 Posts
I've got a spare set of (used) Cermark F-16 prop jet wings and tube, not sure if they will work for this...But if you're interested just pay shipping and they are yours.
ScaleBrad is offline Find More Posts by ScaleBrad
Old Sep 13, 2013, 09:31 AM
Joined Nov 2002
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Looks like a great idea , imagine the force on those formers in a turn , better safe than sorry, my f16 had the same setup ,the glue joints did start to pull away in time. Cheers Chris
Hi Chris,
thanks for sharing that info.

Quote:
I've got a spare set of (used) Cermark F-16 prop jet wings and tube, not sure if they will work for this...But if you're interested just pay shipping and they are yours
Hi ScaleBrad,
Thanks for the offer. I've got the everything covered but I appreciate the thought.

Dan Eaton