HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2014, 05:19 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob215 View Post
As always, thanks for the feedback HP! I understand the 80% rule. I know you should never discharge a battery completely or you will damage it. I posted my numbers because I'm a little confused by them. I've always flown until the quad shuts itself down automatically. I did at least 100 flights with my original X1 before I even started measuring voltage and flight times.

I'm not sure at all. I bought a Traxxas EZ Peak Plus charger and that's the number it displayed once it had charged the battery. Moments ago, I did another flight with a different battery and my flight time was 11:24. Both the X1 and nQX boards do an automatic shutdown when the battery reaches 3.6 volts. I've checked the voltage after the last couple of flights and its been 3.6v.

Isn't it safe to fly until 3.6 volts? My original purpose for flying and modifying the X1 is the same- to learn as much as possible with these little quads before building and flying bigger ones. If I can do something better, I appreciate all feedback.

Here's some additional info:

The batteries are Lectron PRO 600mAh 35C lipos. They say 2C charge rate. I've been charging them at 0.9A with the Traxxas because I figured that was conservative. (2C would be 1.2A right?) The Traxxas starts off charging at 0.9A, then the current drops as the voltage reaches 4.2.
And what does that tell you? I have always considered the 80% rule too conservative. There are people who follow it, preach it, enforce it, and beat it into people if they don't follow it. I don't do that. I could refer to it, but I don't follow it, and I don't think that people need to. It's there, and if want to be conservative, so be it.

If you good charge informs you that 569 mAh is put back, I will accept that number. You math was fine.

To me, 3.6v is very safe. Again, there will be people telling you that it has to be 3.7v. I've flown my cells to 3.4v and beyond. I have no issue with 3.6v.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2014, 05:23 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipSnipe View Post
OK v262 FC mounted on the Syma X1, with the 3.7 battery , the board lit up but motors wouldn't spin. For laugh and giggles I said why not lets hook up the 7.4, waaala it flies for about 2 minutes and motors burned out.
I knew it would I considered the x1 unflyable period so experimentation was called for.

So I decided the v262 FC will stay on the x1 frame for now and I will look for a lil bigger motor(7.4) that I can mount on it.
Um, that will do it, @ZS.

Pictures of V262 FC on X1 frame please. I'd like to see it.

Have you ever considered the possibility that this might not be a good plan? You're basically constructing a V262 on the X1 frame. There is a reason why the V262 is so big. It takes all those big props to lift all that weight! The X1 frame and arms would not accommodate the big props.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Aug 26, 2014, 06:06 PM
United States, FL, Port Orange
Joined Jul 2014
132 Posts
No pics, yeah I knew the motors would burn up, could care less, I think it flew crappy anyway.

The FC was just held on with zip ties as was the 7.4 battery. I will probably just sell off the v262 FC and motors along with whats left of the Syma X1. I do like the v262 frame and canopy I might just do a 250 build kinda incorporating that into the build. I will be no longer wasting my money on these toy quads as they are just too hit and miss.
ZipSnipe is offline Find More Posts by ZipSnipe
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:11 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,815 Posts
ZipSnipe, I am sorry about your X1. I wished you could have got help with it here on this thread before you killed it. This is a fine group here that are so willing to take time out of there day's and help. I have a stock out of the box X1 that flies great. I have another that I put a blade nano QX FC on and it flies great. I don't know if I agree with you about the hit and miss. So far, mine are batting 100. I am not even sure what you meant by lagging. But, mine don't seem to lag at all. Response is sharp and fast. Heck as long as I don't push the range, it flies with precision. For the price, would be hard to beat them. Hope you have a better experience in your next endeavor.
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:14 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,815 Posts
Rob, I used to be one of those guys that babied my lipo's. hahaha. I would time all flights and tried to never get below 3.7V per cell. But, a lot of mine died anyways. Now I pretty much keep them charged and ready to go. For the price of them...who cares. hahaha

I was wondering how much your 600mah battery weighs? It sure seems to me you are getting some good flight times.
Lee
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:22 PM
United States, NC, Winterville
Joined Jul 2014
59 Posts
bah... bit irritated... after soldering the insanely tiny wires to the 5.8 ghz transmitter, I see I'm getting no video... just snow.

I watched a few vids on setting up the rc305 channels, and believe I have it set correctly to channel 3 (1-on, 2-on, 3-off, 4-off), but when I go to the transmitter and set the dip switches the same way, I get nothing but snow... nothing but snowy signal no matter what dip switches I change on the transmitter.

I suppose I could have hosed something, but it's a bit odd... I dont have a short that I can tell either.
Jmel is offline Find More Posts by Jmel
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:00 PM
United States, FL, Port Orange
Joined Jul 2014
132 Posts
I here ya Lee, I have seen very few complaints about the Syma x1. I guess its just my luck. Now that I think of it thats what it has to be, just a dark cloud hanging over me.
ZipSnipe is offline Find More Posts by ZipSnipe
Old Yesterday, 12:30 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,815 Posts
So, you don't have any motors left? What about a stock X1 fc board? Maybe consider getting a nano QX FC.
Lee
Old Today, 03:38 AM
Joined Jun 2014
128 Posts
Does the x1 have a overdraw shut off?
fpv2012 is offline Find More Posts by fpv2012
Old Today, 04:02 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,367 Posts
Yes, it does.