Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:58 AM
Joined Sep 2010
137 Posts
Question
battery problem

Hi there i have a 5200 3 cell turnigy near new but when charging it keeps saying low voltage

does anyone no what this means and if the battery is broken
darynxbcoupe is offline Find More Posts by darynxbcoupe
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:02 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,819 Posts
It means it was discharged too much and is below what the charger feels is safe for a 3s battery.

You can probably fix it, but you have to be VERY careful while doing it.

To fix, set your charger to nimh mode and plug in just the power leads from the battery to the charger (not the balance plug). Charge it like this for about 30 seconds, then try the 3s lipo setting again (with the balance plug). Keep doing this in 30 second attempts until it will charge in lipo mode.

To stop it from happening again, don't discharge it so much. Check your LVC settings if you're relying on that, or shorten the run by a minute or two. If you're putting in more than 4200mah, it's probably over discharged. A safe rule of thumb is to always leave 20% of the pack's capacity in the pack and never fully discharge it.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:39 AM
Joined Sep 2010
137 Posts
thankyou will give it a try since it is only few weeks old
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:46 PM
Joined Sep 2010
137 Posts
just charged on nimh for 30 seconds and then back to lipo and it worked straight away thanks heaps Wparsons
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:19 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,819 Posts
No prob!
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Nov 2012
14 Posts
Dang that is some trick stuff. I will have to remember that for the future. I have never discharged a pack that low but if that ever happens I know what I will do.
homedefender83 is offline Find More Posts by homedefender83
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:15 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
To stop it from happening again, don't discharge it so much. Check your LVC settings if you're relying on that, or shorten the run by a minute or two. If you're putting in more than 4200mah, it's probably over discharged. A safe rule of thumb is to always leave 20% of the pack's capacity in the pack and never fully discharge it.
Please take note of this. Find out if your car has LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff) and check it's settings. If it doesn't have LVC at all, get a seperate "Lipo Saver/Monitor" to alert you to low discharge of the car battery, or a new ESC with LVC. But that will cost you more naturally.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:56 AM
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined Jun 2012
285 Posts
my trx esc lvd cut off at 3.6-3.7..never have to worry of over discharge..
leonggyooi is offline Find More Posts by leonggyooi