HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:10 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Hey guys...quick question.

I see pictures of the wheel well liners. Where were those located in your packages? I think they forgot to include them in mine? I know that means forget about them concerning Nitro....spare parts, yeah, right.

The only issue I have found while looking my plane over is on one of the elevators. It seems they got the covering a bit too tight/close? Only one elevator has almost no down motion available. The covering is way to tight and keeps it from bending.
I tried stretching it by slowly bending it back and forth...etc...but I am just starting to 'pucker' the top covering, so stopped that right away. I hate the thought of having to cut the elevator apart and use hinges or tape, but looks like that may be my only option. Has anyone else encountered this?

That's it for now. Still slowly going over the airframe and thinking about the equipment to use.
Happy flying/building,
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:30 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
Hey guys...quick question.

I see pictures of the wheel well liners. Where were those located in your packages? I think they forgot to include them in mine? I know that means forget about them concerning Nitro....spare parts, yeah, right.

The only issue I have found while looking my plane over is on one of the elevators. It seems they got the covering a bit too tight/close? Only one elevator has almost no down motion available. The covering is way to tight and keeps it from bending.
I tried stretching it by slowly bending it back and forth...etc...but I am just starting to 'pucker' the top covering, so stopped that right away. I hate the thought of having to cut the elevator apart and use hinges or tape, but looks like that may be my only option. Has anyone else encountered this?

That's it for now. Still slowly going over the airframe and thinking about the equipment to use.
Happy flying/building,
Ken

The parts seem to randomly be missing from kits. I have heard of guys saying they didn't get the liners. My kit didn't come with the pilots. (But I don't care) email nitro or HK (or whoever you got it from) and have them send you the parts.

I've read over a bunch of threads... and I've never seen anyone say that the elevators were tight. I would cut them, and put on your own hing tape. BUT... remember... this little bird doesn't need much throw. I built mine to "Herb's" specs... and I think the elevator only gets 15mm throws.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Last edited by Dr Honda; Nov 14, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined May 2004
1,185 Posts
I've posted this in Herb's blog... but here's my CMP T-45 with a Wren 44 turbine. Right now... I have the turbine turned down to 8lbs of thrust... and it's still almost too much. If I hold the brakes, and put down half flaps... it can be off the ground in about 60 ft. A normal run out is around 100'.

Empty, it weighs 7 Lbs, 6 oz. With a full load of fuel, it's at 9 Lbs. a normal landing weight is around 8 Lbs.

I built this to fly off grass... so I used fixed gear, and big tires. (3" mains, and 2-3/4" nose)
If you have any Q's... just yell.

Wren 44 + CMP T-45 test run (2 min 52 sec)

CMP T-45 with a Wren 44 (1 min 1 sec)

Last edited by Dr Honda; Nov 29, 2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:10 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Wowzers!! All I can say is Wowzers!! : )
DaveBC is offline Find More Posts by DaveBC
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:40 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,353 Posts
Video of the crash. It appears that due to a cross wind, I reached a high enough speed for the nose wheel to be ineffective, but not enough airspeed for the rudder to be effective, and the plane veered towards the Westerly crosswind and crashed into the fence post. If you pause the clip, you can see that the rudder is fully deflected to the left, to correct, but wasn't effective enough.

CMP T45 Crash (0 min 11 sec)
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:01 PM
Keith Thomas
United States, NM, Portales
Joined Feb 2010
1,059 Posts
Bummer. From the sound it don't sound good. I hope it not to bad???

I'm working on my second one.
keithtsr is offline Find More Posts by keithtsr
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:47 AM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,353 Posts
It's bad. The front fuse is toast. Already got a new kit and will rebuild.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined May 2004
1,185 Posts
I'm wondering if you should have just mashed the throttle for take off. Since you rolled into it slowly... it was easier to find that "window" where the nose was light... and the speed was low.

Also... with high thrust pressure... it will help it go straight. (like a rocket)

Just a thought.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:09 AM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,353 Posts
Not sure I understood the "mashed the throttle for takeoff" comment. What do you mean?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:49 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,834 Posts
ysolomon

I belive he means go to full throttle quickly.

I find holding some down to keep weight on
nose wheel helps alot , we have a very narrow runway
and with xwind's it hard to track streight , plus the small
rudder isn't much help.
pulsery2k1 is online now Find More Posts by pulsery2k1
Last edited by pulsery2k1; Nov 18, 2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:49 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,353 Posts
Got it. So, it's not just me, huh?... I'm afraid to slam the throttle all the way just to see how the plane responds... One thing I should have done was to kill the throttle when I saw that it was going right. The sudden deceleration might have put some weight on the nose wheel as well. Oh, well... A friend of mine told me that "experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted..." (or something like that...)

Attached is the frame in which you could tell that the plane has veered right of the runway center, but the tiny rudder is fully deflected to the left.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:48 PM
Joined May 2004
1,185 Posts
Yep... sorry. Full throttle quick.

Since I see you are standing by a real plane... how about "Firewall it !" (lol)

I don't know... I guess I'm not normal then. All my prop stuff is tail draggers... so getting RPM quick, makes them go straight... otherwise you fight P-factor.

With the turbines... they already have some lag... so idle to full throttle is 3 to 6 seconds depending on the engine.

I know hind sight is 20/20... but I guess I'm just thinking out loud.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:16 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,353 Posts
I was going to say "firewall it" but I didn't know if anyone will know what I'm talking about...
Funny, but my tail dragger warbirds got me used to slow throttle, or otherwise the tend to spin, flip, nose over, or anything you might think of... I found that gradually applying throttle while using the rudder to keep straight at the runway, and playing with elevator to keep the tail wheel on the ground, then letting the tail rise, then rotating in a scale-like manner are the takeoffs I like the most...

Yes, hindsight is 20/20, but I see this as a learning experience. Now I know something I didn't realize before. No education comes free...
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined May 2004
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
I was going to say "firewall it" but I didn't know if anyone will know what I'm talking about...
Actually.. my favorite saying is "Rental Speed".

I got my private back in the early 90's. It was cheap back then. (152 was $27/hr wet, and a 182 was $45/hr wet) I haven't flown big stuff in 12 years.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:03 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,353 Posts
I got mine in the late 90's. was going to fly a Tomahawk for $45/hour wet but was a bit too heavy, so I flew a Warrior for $65/hour. And that's in California! A gallon of fuel was $1.23...