HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2003, 08:03 PM
dont push me.......I roll
oklahoma..the new and improved windy state!
Joined Jan 2003
407 Posts
Playing "combat"?????

well today,momorial monday,i went to an air show! it was GREAT,(here in norman,oklahoma) winds were fairly blowing but we had a blast.what i was wanting to know about it well they had about 5 planes or so (gas powered) and they were "dog fighting" with all the ribbons and i havnt really seen nuch of this goin on with electric rc planes. why not ? is it cause electrics maybe dont have enough power to pull a long ribbon or what? i think it would be a blast but i dunno...tell me what you think about it all!
bassplay is offline Find More Posts by bassplay
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2003, 08:05 PM
Dont roffle my waffle
USA, CA, Tustin
Joined Mar 2003
798 Posts
I have done it. Had a blast until I realized that tying the ribbon onto the rudder and not the fuse was a bad idea. Lol
NoMercy is offline Find More Posts by NoMercy
Old May 26, 2003, 08:07 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
Gas planes go faster. That's about it. And gas is cheaper for combat. For combat, you need brushless and 15 cells and such. But AirWArriorBelgy and Basketcase, just nibble each other's tail feathers.

Cam
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87
Old May 26, 2003, 08:51 PM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,664 Posts
>>For combat, you need brushless and 15 cells and such.<<

Er... why?

Slow Stick combat rules. $35 a copy!

Melf
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
Old May 26, 2003, 09:02 PM
Lurker
Longmont, Colorado
Joined Nov 2000
493 Posts
Interesting...I am in the process of planning a ODDF for our next Mile Hi FunFly event. I even bought my first Slowstick today. At our last Funfly we had a gentleman flying around a Slowstick with about a 20 foot streamer attached. It had no problem flying.

Oh, by the way, ODDF = One Design Dog Fight. Basically this means that everybody flies the same setup.

kk
KonstantKrash is offline Find More Posts by KonstantKrash
Old May 26, 2003, 09:12 PM
Joined Jan 2003
407 Posts
well,i got a P-51 and i thought it would be the funnest thing in the world to get a lot of guys together and fly with just P-51's and gws Zero's!!!! i would die to do that! think a P-5 would carry a streamer about 15ft. long or so? i think it would,you just have to get streamers that are like really light and all but i think it would work just fine!
Old May 26, 2003, 09:18 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
15 cells and a brushless...sorry to get you mixed up but I was referring to get performance comparable to a .25 engine, full modifications, on a 1/12 scale warbird. Sory for the confusion. Normal parflyers work good, just keep the streamers, short, light and attached to the CG.

Cam

200th POST YEAH!!!!
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87
Old May 26, 2003, 09:23 PM
Joined Jan 2003
407 Posts
ok,thats the answer im looking for!
Old May 26, 2003, 09:26 PM
Joined Jan 2003
407 Posts
ROFL!!! i just thought of something that would happen to me if i tried something like this.what id do is out a VERY small I- Hook on the CG and then tie a string off that to the ribbon....my luck id hit somebody's string and it would tangle im my prop and id go down and drag the other guy done with me to a fiery death! ROFL....sorry!
Old May 26, 2003, 10:39 PM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
parkflyer combat

last week while trying to formation fly Basketcases TM popped the top wing of my TM (accident was my fault as i was the one who broke ranks) and layed it over from the tip to the outer strut, i flew one circuit then landed with 25% of the upper wing laying over on the rest of the wing (lotsa rudder to keep her level)

and we have knocked each others struts loose once or twice on wing hits.

one of these days i'll just have to land on his in flight

this is Basketcases vertical stab after he repaired it (layed it over)

of course he got mine just as good the next time
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Old May 26, 2003, 11:07 PM
Joined Sep 2002
81 Posts
me and a bud picked up 2 new slowsticks ( for some combat flying) the other day we made one with the german markings then made another with Great britain roundals.

we went out to do battle 8 cell 600 AEs for juice, 3 full flights and all we had was a couple of bumps, then on the 4th flight we stayed below 30 feet or so and we had a hard head to head. my german slow stick lost its battery, bent one gear back at a bad angle, and had a huge rip in the wing, while the british slowstick lost both blades on his prop, but he landed it.

after some clear tap and him a new prop i was ready for another go. 5th flight we were looping like mad men and swirling about then he throttle back to give his motor a rest and i swung down by him and pinned the stick back i went directly into wing and chopped a 16 inch rip across his wing then we locked together and began to tumble down i hit off then full throttle and i tore away form his stricken bird, i pulled out and still had his gear attacked to mine!! we were dieing laughing ,, his plane had 1 blade broke off and he was unable to recover and went into the dirt.

this time repairs were longer, mangled wing, busted top part of gear box, anyone 10 min of repairs and we ready for the final round

6th flight we went at it about halfway through after a light bump we got tangled up and both planes came down in a heap just busted 2 props, all in all one of the funnest days of flying we had this year.
rilak0 is offline Find More Posts by rilak0
Old May 26, 2003, 11:38 PM
Joined Jan 2003
407 Posts
dude,thats crazy......!
Old May 27, 2003, 12:09 PM
Smithville, MO
Joined May 2003
147 Posts
I fly slimer combat, and have wanted to compete using electrics. I even tried using a 600 can motor on one of my slimer airframes, but the performance was marginal at best. Sure a good motor could fly a competitive combat ship, but in a typical contest, with six rounds, you could probably count on at least 2 mid-airs. I don't know if I would want to throw away a $100 motor every time I dirtnapped. Maybe a 'can' motor would work in the 'A' class of combat, but the areas where 'A' combat is flown are limited. If anyone is interested in the rules, check out www.rccombat.com for any info you would ever want on RC Combat. One area that might work for electrics is the new 'SSC' (slow survivable combat), but there is no provision in the rules for electrics at this time. SSC is limited to a .15 bushed engine with a MA 8x3 prop turning no more than 17500 RPM. Instead of the usual maximum wieght, there is a minimum of 2.5 lbs, and the speeds are a little slower. Probably around 50 MPH and energy management is a must to stay in the air.
sheepy is offline Find More Posts by sheepy
Old May 27, 2003, 01:04 PM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,664 Posts
>>I don't know if I would want to throw away a $100 motor every time I dirtnapped. <<

Why would you throw away a $100 motor every time? If you know you're going to hit the ground, throw a $15 gearbox on the front to insulate the motor.

Even then, ruining a brushless motor shaft is not terribly easy. If you're flying combat over asphalt, yeah, maybe. But over grass?

Melf
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
Old May 27, 2003, 01:34 PM
Smithville, MO
Joined May 2003
147 Posts
It was my impression that the shafts bent very easily. Thats probably just on the cheap can motors. I have been thinking of a jeti 30/3 with a 5mm shaft, and I bet it would be much more robust than the cans. I have spent hours with motocalc, and it is difficult to find a motor that will turn a 9x4 at 19k, or a 9x5 at 14k, but just recently, I was just going thru the motors one by one to see if I could hit 60 mph with a 30 oz airframe and 575 sq inches. The jeti 30/3 just might do it. BTW melf, I have been following your combat module thread with great interest. I have a couple of fighterbirds, but do not care for their flight characteristics.
sheepy is offline Find More Posts by sheepy