HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2003, 02:45 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,303 Posts
Rumfal + Axi 2814/10

I've had a Rumfal for over a year now but haven't flown it much. Not that it didn't fly well but either I didn't have the right motor or the right motor was needed in other airplanes. This is an ARF sold by Dymond, pre-covered foam and balsa wing - built up covered tail surfaces and glass fuselage. Wing area's about 270 with a fairly thin symetrical airfoil. RTF weight with the Axi and 8 Sub-C's is 44.5 ounces.

I flew it a few times with a Hacker B50-13L, 7*6 and 8 sub-c's. Ballistic power and speed but that was really overkill. Like stuffing a Chevy big block in a Geo Metro. Tried a Jeti 15-4 which should have been perfect but the motor had thrown a magnet in a heli and evidently I didn't get it fixed correctly. Flew great for 30 seconds then lost all power and everything landed super hot after 3 minutes. Last thing I was going to try was a 22-30-2 on 7 cells but before I got to fly it, the motor was needed in a different plane.

Finally, I ordered one of the Axi 2814/10's. This is pretty much the perfect motor for this plane as it is light - 4.8 ounces - and it CAN'T be used in an EDF so it will stay in the plane . I used both a 7 cell pack of CP-2400's and an old 8 cell pack of RC-2000's today and flew it about 8 times. Prop is a set of CAM 8*6 blades on one of Dymonds colleted center pieces with an anodized gold aluminum spinner. Current draw starts at about 34 amps on 8 cells and 30ish on 7. Either one flies great, the 8 cell setup has more power of course and less duration - power being totally sufficient until the last electron with 4-5 minute WOT flight times. On 7 cells flight times go up to near 7 minutes mostly WOT, power is great for the first 4 minutes or so. After that it still flies fine but you don't want to pull right into a loop after a snap roll, you need to build speed back up again. I'll probably scrounge up a pack of 8 3000 Nimh's too, best of both - power and duration.
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2003, 10:36 PM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Rutherfordton, North Carolina, United States
Joined Apr 2001
5,941 Posts
Hi Chris,
Glad to hear you have the Rumfal flying again
Will you be bringing it to the "Sizzle" this year ?
Ed
Ed Lyerly is offline Find More Posts by Ed Lyerly
Old May 05, 2003, 09:33 AM
Joined Dec 1996
8,303 Posts
If I go I'll bring it - I'm undecided at this point.

Aside from the silliness of scheduling a fun-fly on a holiday weekend, it conflicts with the Air Expo at Pax this year. Have to decide between driving 4-5 hours for the round trip to fly models or 10 minutes to watch the Blue Angels among others...
Old May 05, 2003, 10:21 AM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Rutherfordton, North Carolina, United States
Joined Apr 2001
5,941 Posts
Oh well, we all have our priorities

I really like having it on Memorial Day weekend ...as it gives me Monday to get squared away following the weekend activities.

I hope you can attend.
Ed
Ed Lyerly is offline Find More Posts by Ed Lyerly
Old May 05, 2003, 09:21 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Chris
When I took over the Sizzle - heavens, five years back now - I did a lot of asking around, via here and reality, to find a date that didn't clash with any other meetings and met with some kind of approval. Memorial W/E won by a goodly margin, and it's been there ever since. Gary's got it now, but through the changes in management, it's stayed put and is still to the finest funfly format of all - no comps! (I hope...)

Have the Blue Angels bought any more aircraft yet? I saw them once in Maine, figured if they ever got up to nine, like the Red Arrows, and practised doing interesting things with them, they could have possibilities ; )

Their marching out to their jets, with everyone saluting everyone else was real exciting

Now, to try and finish at least the Cub, if not "E-rotica", for the Sizzle ...

Rgds

D
Proves you can't win them all.
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 06, 2003, 09:58 AM
Pinehurst, NC
Joined Aug 1999
778 Posts
Chris:

I was counting on your attendance as the local "jet Jockey." Sure hope you can make it for one of the days, if not both. We cut down a few of the trees at the West end of the field just for you.

Gary
GaryK is offline Find More Posts by GaryK
Old May 06, 2003, 11:32 AM
Joined Dec 1996
8,303 Posts
Did you really?

We'll see - maybe Saturday. I do like having the pavement for launch...

As for lack of clashes on Memorial Day weekend - by that reconning July 4, Thanksgiving and Christmas day out to be wide open and make great choices . Sorry guys, there are several meets I drive hundreds of miles to attend every year for 10+ years. This one is only a couple hours away and I regularly miss it due to the holiday weekend. Just my opinion . May is a good month to draw people, there are no other electric meets in May within 800 miles cept the one in North Carolina which is in early May and didn't happen this year.
Old May 06, 2003, 12:37 PM
Pinehurst, NC
Joined Aug 1999
778 Posts
Speaking of "just for you's," Dereck will be pleased to know that the two large "wheel-eating" cracks in our North-South runway have been repaired with mortar, and that runway is now "heavy metal heaven" for the sport fliers. Long take-off rollouts are now possible without fear of ripping off your landing gear.

It took 3 bags of Sackrete mortar and 2 hours, but the result was worth the sweat.

BTW, there are more out-of-town travelers in Ed's camp than in yours, Chris. Gary Wright is NOT going to make the 900 mile trip for a one day meet without some travel time. Thanks for the input, though.

Gary
Last edited by GaryK; May 06, 2003 at 12:42 PM.
Old May 06, 2003, 12:43 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Gary - sounds like you've been up to something while I was running around the country. At present rate of progress, am considering selling my model aircraft and buying a trainset!

Chris - sorry, July 4th is right out of order - it's Sue's birthday! I'm hoping you can make it too - every time I see your jets fly, I get a little closer to that phone call to the EJF. I'm going to do a jet one day, but durned if it'll be a cross between a Duskstick and a Dustbuster. I want one that owns the sky!

Turkey day would be good - cut down on the overeating opportunities

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 06, 2003, 12:45 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
What's a Rumfal? Any pictures?

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old May 06, 2003, 12:47 PM
Pinehurst, NC
Joined Aug 1999
778 Posts
Dereck:

You'd BETTER have that Cub done before the Sizzle for all the mileage you've gotten TALKING about it.

Gary
Old May 06, 2003, 12:55 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kelvin
What's a Rumfal? Any pictures?

Kelvin
Dymond sells it
Old Jun 02, 2003, 02:35 PM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,509 Posts
Rumfal specs

Chris,
Could you tell me what kind of equipment you have in your Rumfal (aside from what you've already said)? Do you know the empty weight of the plane? Could you also say how many watts you're putting out and what kind of vertical you can get from level flight, full throttle? I have a Mega 22/20/3E (kv=1510, Io=3.37, Rm=.012, Wt.=5.9 oz.) geared in an Accord 47 with 8cp2400. Performance is OK, but not what I'd like. Ed lyerly saw it fly at the Spring Sizzle. I'm thinking, instead of adding two cells to the packs, maybe I'll put the stuff in a new airplane (Rumfal). I'd like to meet or beat the weight of Ed's Rumfal. With a 9x6.5 folder, DD, I may be able to get about 100watts/lb.

Thanks in advance,

Terry Till
ex-racr is offline Find More Posts by ex-racr
Last edited by ex-racr; Jun 02, 2003 at 02:50 PM.
Old Jun 04, 2003, 05:44 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,303 Posts
Re: Rumfal specs

Quote:
Originally posted by ex-racr
Chris,
Could you tell me what kind of equipment you have in your Rumfal (aside from what you've already said)? Do you know the empty weight of the plane? Could you also say how many watts you're putting out and what kind of vertical you can get from level flight, full throttle? I have a Mega 22/20/3E (kv=1510, Io=3.37, Rm=.012, Wt.=5.9 oz.) geared in an Accord 47 with 8cp2400. Performance is OK, but not what I'd like. Ed lyerly saw it fly at the Spring Sizzle. I'm thinking, instead of adding two cells to the packs, maybe I'll put the stuff in a new airplane (Rumfal). I'd like to meet or beat the weight of Ed's Rumfal. With a 9x6.5 folder, DD, I may be able to get about 100watts/lb.

Thanks in advance,

Terry Till
Axi 2814/10
Cam 8*6 folder blades on a center that makes it 8.5 inches
2 HS-55's on aileron
2 HR-81's for elevator and rudder
Old Jeti 40 white label ESC which has lots of advance
8 GP-3300's, RC-2000's or HR-2600's. I like the GP's best - about 8 minutes wide open.

4.8+1+1+.4+.4+.7+.7+1 = 10 ounces for motor and radio, battery is 16 - 18 depending on cells. So I'd guess the ampty airframe is 44.5 - 26 = 18.5 ounces.

On the 8 GP's it pulls about 32 amps initial then in the high twenties. It has good vertical, plenty of time to pull, establish and upline, do a ertical roll or two then stall turn over the top. It is a pattern plane though, that is from high speed level flight. It isn't a fun-fly flopper type plane where you can cruise at 1/4 throttle then pull straight up. A certain amount of speed, momentum and low drag is involved.
Old Jun 05, 2003, 08:04 AM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,509 Posts
Thankyou so much for replying!

I appreciate you giving me this information. I just learned there will be an e-fly in Charles County. Will you be going to it? I don't know if I can just yet. I understand about the momentum thing. I just want a plane that has enough vertical to do a square loop with 1/2 rolls and other such maneuvers.
Terry
ex-racr is offline Find More Posts by ex-racr