HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 08:35 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone View Post
We have to come up with a solution for the last slope task to use if XC isn't possible.
I don't know if I'm going to work on Bronze or not and I'm not really a sloper, although I have slope soared on about 30 different occasions.

Here are some ideas:

Add a DS task (speed, recorded via either radar, laps with pylon judges, or perhaps onboard GPS).

Add in a laps task and use the lap setup as F3F (that would be good because it would encourage people to find F3F courses). Perhaps have a gps recording option.

Add in a task where a person has to do a square. Say fly out in front of the lift, then back behind some distance make a leg, then up into the lift.
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2009, 09:55 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsha99 View Post
Whats wrong with the suggestions so far? Was thinking no news was good news.
Nothing. Just want to get enough ideas so we can choose and not make any more changes. I have no idea what to do. I'm leaving it up to everyone here to make the decision this time. I prefer no added equipment required. (no radar guns, etc.) as most newbies won't have one. In advanced, go for it. Other than that, you all decide and let me know. I really don't want to choose this one.
Steve Boone is online now Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Dec 29, 2009, 02:16 PM
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,188 Posts
Well, if I were SB (Steve Boone, founder of the SSP ) for a day, I would make the Bronze level slope task a 1.5Km goal and return with a max of 3 waypoints. Extra distance because it is slope and 3 waypoints to accomodate smaller slopes. Think this is a good task for skill development as well as sometimes the lift leaves the hill due to thermal activity and you either have to go hunt for lift or park it quickly. This happens often on inland slopes.

For the next skill level, can be something different. Not just a longer goal and return. Like the idea of an F3F type task but it does require some basic equipment and helpers.

I would stear clear of DS tasks in the beginning levels. DSing should not be attempted by newbies, mainly due to safety. Once they can do the tasks listed in the Bronze level, they should be in control of the sailplane enough for modest DS. As far as a task is concerned, a lower level task with DS could simply be X number of DS laps in a row, repeated a certain number of times and opposite directions.

I now relenquish my power.....
corsha99 is offline Find More Posts by corsha99
Old Dec 29, 2009, 02:26 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,664 Posts
Quote:
As far as a task is concerned, a lower level task with DS could simply be X number of DS laps in a row, repeated a certain number of times and opposite directions.
That is a good idea.

I'm not a slope flyer, but what about a task that involves a vertical climb? Say something like a timed 2-3second vertical climb or something.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Dec 29, 2009, 05:49 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Corsha, interesting task that 1.5 km O&R. Starting from a center point,go right 375 meter's(walk aroung the marker and fly past it),return to center continuing on to the left point 375 meter's(walk around the marker and fly past it)return to center for the 1.5 km flight.

Or do you see differantly?

Ken
SSP #6
L-Spatz is offline Find More Posts by L-Spatz
Old Dec 29, 2009, 09:18 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Spatz View Post
Corsha, interesting task that 1.5 km O&R. Starting from a center point,go right 375 meter's(walk aroung the marker and fly past it),return to center continuing on to the left point 375 meter's(walk around the marker and fly past it)return to center for the 1.5 km flight.

Or do you see differantly?
That technically would meet the requirement but I think you made it harder doing that. Slope is already at least 750 meters long so you could have just started on one end, flew to the other, and came back to start. Only 2 legs needed to complete task.

I didn't think of it the way you described but don't have a problem with it. I was envisioning a scenario where you had to punch out away from the slope for a certain distance and then try to come back to the start. Not necessarily punch out at a right angle to the slope but definately away from the slope. Probably need to put a minimum distance requirement for a leg if you choose to use 3 waypoints, maybe 25% of the total goal length which in this case would be the 375 meters in your scenario.

By the way, for these shorter distances I can easily see the pilot staying in one place while they fly out to the waypoints and wait for a signal from the helpers. Granted 750 meters can be pretty far out there for a small slope plane though. How big is a 48" combat wing when it is 750 meters away? Love mixing units!!
Cory
Last edited by corsha99; Dec 29, 2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 09:23 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke View Post
That is a good idea.

I'm not a slope flyer, but what about a task that involves a vertical climb? Say something like a timed 2-3second vertical climb or something.

Ryan
I would consider this to be a basic task for copper level, bronze at the most. Could be included as part of the aerobatic portion, do a certain number of pumps that are vertical for ZZ seconds before turning over at the top and coming back down.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:09 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
I routinely fly my 4.22 mtr Ventus out to the point 1.25 km and back with a run of 1 km+ the other way on the Face(main local slope) for a 4.5 km O&R.

Tho by using a small (1.5m?) hand launch(Fling,etc)and light wind's many low hight location's can be used.

Ken
SSP #6
Old Dec 30, 2009, 06:58 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,548 Posts
Here's another suggestion I've had: An aerobatic schedule to be completed in sequence (simple turn around program) with a time limit. The difficulty factor will depend on the time allowed.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 09:28 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone View Post
Here's another suggestion I've had: An aerobatic schedule to be completed in sequence (simple turn around program) with a time limit. The difficulty factor will depend on the time allowed.
Instead of a G&R. Not at all fair to the thermal guys.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:39 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,548 Posts
There is one other solution. Remove G&R from the basic program all together and not have it until advanced. Which I would hate to do.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 01:29 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,188 Posts
With your new plan of 3 lower levels and then the advanced, it might work OK. At least for the Bronze level. Goal and return should be something that gets done soon though.

What is the real concern with the G&R task? Is it that it is too limiting? I honestly don't know how many people are flying on super small slopes. I just know that the slopes I have flown in CA, CO, SD, KS, MT, ND could support these shorter G&R tasks, especially if 3 waypoints were allowed.

Eventually the program should reach a point that not everyone can complete all tasks for some reason or another. I do feel that the Bronze level is probably too early for that to happen though.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 07:03 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
With those of us with inland slope's , stretching up wind to use thermal lift to reach an outward waypoint is ok , but I can see where it will be an issue with those that have costal slope's. I wonder how much lift there is at Torry Pine's when you get out 1/4 of a mile(400 meter's)?

Maybe for the first level a 1 km O&R is used with both plane and pilot required to travel the 500 meter distance,as is used with the thermal task's?

Ken
SSP #6
Old Dec 30, 2009, 09:31 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,188 Posts
Coastal sites should not have the distance problem. I can't think of any small coastal slopes that don't have a much bigger one nearby. Of course I am probably wrong.
Last edited by corsha99; Jan 01, 2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2010, 05:39 AM
Mapleton, Australia
Joined May 2003
21 Posts
Quote:
Instead of a G&R. Not at all fair to the thermal guys.
Steve did not put the whole suggestion in. Suggestion is for slope bronze only. Last item currently is G&R.
Suggest leave G&R in but also have an option to do aerobatic schedule in place of G&R
Charles
elcoba is offline Find More Posts by elcoba