HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:47 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,705 Posts
Hasn't really been much interest in the H3 White here. It's an HD in an H3 body.
It's lighter/smaller and has Wifi + better lens. What's that worth to you?

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:25 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,786 Posts
Colinj,

There are a few other things about the H3 line of cameras that should be mentioned, besides the obvious format & resolution improvements. They're small, but to me, they add up.

1. The H3 cameras have a textured edge so they're easier to hold.

2. The lens is shrouded by a protective cone that sticks out a bit, so if you put your camera down or it rolls over on it's face, the lens doesn't take the brunt of the impact like the H2 did. I scratched several H2 lenses just putting it down or having it fall on the lens. That can't happen as easily with the H3.

3. No NTSC/PAL video out that I know of. Just has hdmi out. So you can't use it for live FPV preview yet. Even if you could get it to work, you'll have serious lag using the higher resolutions.

4. Different battery types. If you have a bunch of spare batteries from your H2's, you'll have to buy a new set of batteries for the H3. My store only had 2 spares, so I got them both.

5. No external chargers yet, or aftermarket batteries for the H3.

6. H3 sound has been improved quite a bit.

7. The "mode" and "select" buttons on the front of the H3 are bigger, making them much easier to hit, especially wearing gloves.

8. You can get wi-fi on the H2, but the H3 has a secondary light that's blue, so you can see when the wifi is enabled. H2 doesn't have that indicator light.

9. The new waterproof housings have a locking lid. It took me a while to get comfortable with it, but that provides an extra level of security. It's just a little harder to open though.

10. Obviously, if you have a huge collection of SD cards, those do you no good since the H3 takes Micro-SD cards. The downside is the buggers are tiny and easy to drop & lose.

11. The H3 camers are a true box. The H2 had a seam between the front & back halves, and they tapered away from that seam slightly. Not a huge deal, unless you want to stick two cameras side-by-side and have them line up perfectly for 3D stereo filming. The H2's also wouldn't sit flat, they either looked up a bit, or down a bit, depending on how you placed it. Of the two, I like the true box shape.

12. As with the lens on the H3, the flat lens on the new waterproof housing has a protruded edge that prevents the lens from scratching if you put it face down on something, or if it drops. I scratched a lot of H2 housing lenses when they rolled over on something rough.

13. A downer for me personally. I bought an iPad3 to use as a monitor to review my H2 flights. With the camera adapter, you can plug in your Hero2 SD card and it would read them directly, which was awesome in the field or when working with clients. When using the MicroSD cards in an SD adapter, the iPad3 doesn't recognize the cards and won't let you review your video. UGH! I'm back to lugging a freaking laptop around!

Anyway, lots to think about when making your decision.

Todd
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:04 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,705 Posts
H3 can do NTSC/PAL output through the extra pins in the USB port (10pin port, rather than 5).
Imagine lag for the White and Silver edition are equiv of HD and H2.

Surprised that your iPad can't recognize the uSD in it's adapter. As far as I know they
should appear absolutely identical to a full sized SD. Have you tested with a lower capacity card?

BTW, here's something else to consider in the H3 or not H3 equation.
A lot of us use the HD and H2 naked, with only the addition of a lens protector
like the Layer Lens, which is just a mount for relatively cheap stock glass lens protectors.
It's light and does the job quite well, and doesn't add any cross sectional area to the camera.
The H3 case now has a much larger flat lens protector. I immediately removed it from the
case attached velcro straps and strapped it to the camera (pictured earlier in this thread).
Problem is, it sticks up above and to the side of the camera, it it makes it bigger.
It's also heavy enough that it unbalances the now skinnier camera,
so when you set it down, it immediately tips forward on its face.
A new LayerLens equiv product is going to have the same problem due to
the larger glass.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Oct 29, 2012 at 03:10 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:11 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,786 Posts
Ian, nope I haven't tried lower capacity or lower speed MicroSD's with it because I don't have any. This is my first time using these MicroSD cards. Maybe I'll order a 32gb SDHC and try it. I'm using the recommended 64gb SDXC cards now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:27 AM
F3K all day
Joined Dec 2011
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinj View Post
I currently have the Hero 2, and I love it. But the Hero 3 looks so awesome. I am contemplating selling my 2, and buying the 3. Do you guys think this is worth it? I was about to buy the flat lens case for my Hero 2, because I do some underwater video, when I saw the Hero 3 came out, plus it comes with the flat lens case, and it is wifi enabled with a remote. So it does have over 120$ worth of accessories that I would have to buy for my Hero 2 if I wanted them. So, say I could sell my 2 for 200$, include the add on of the flat lens, and wifi, and it would really only cost me 70$ (give or take a little). Do you think its worth it? let me know what you guys think
I dont think anyone will pay $200 used. You can get an outdoor edition for only $200 new now.. Unless you meant $200 for ecerything
jasonafriedman is offline Find More Posts by jasonafriedman
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:11 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
3,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
3. No NTSC/PAL video out that I know of. Just has hdmi out. So you can't use it for live FPV preview yet. Even if you could get it to work, you'll have serious lag using the higher resolutions.
Wrong as already said, you just have to buy the AV-out cable that plugs in the USB port. There's no reason to have more delay than on the HD1 and HD2.

Quote:
13. A downer for me personally. I bought an iPad3 to use as a monitor to review my H2 flights. With the camera adapter, you can plug in your Hero2 SD card and it would read them directly, which was awesome in the field or when working with clients. When using the MicroSD cards in an SD adapter, the iPad3 doesn't recognize the cards and won't let you review your video.
Make sure your cards are formatted in FAT32, not ExFAT as iPads won't read that.
But an iPad is the worst tablet choice for that kind of thing - due to Apple's limitations few video formats are supported, you need to import before viewing, some USB devices / cards are not supported because of the supply current limit they added back in iOS4 so that people couldn't use "unapproved" devices...
An android phone or tablet would have been much more appropriate. You'd have a microSD slot you could have simply inserted the card in, or alternatively you could plug the gopro to it via USB. Then you could simply navigate to the video file with the file explorer and open the file directly like on a computer. I use my Galaxy S3 phone for just that, can hook the usb cable to the GoPro/keychain/RD32 after a flight and check the video right away.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Last edited by Kilrah; Oct 29, 2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:47 AM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,614 Posts
73 grams. Sounds too good to be true.
borneobear is offline Find More Posts by borneobear
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:43 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
Make sure your cards are formatted in FAT32, not ExFAT as iPads won't read that.
I'd like to try that, but Windows7 doesn't give me the option of formatting in Fat32. I get NTFS and exFAT as my only two choices. I've formatted it in both Hero3 and Hero2 cameras, and they both leave it exFAT. I wonder if these SanDisk 64gig SDXC cards can only be formatted exFAT for some reason?

Quote:
But an iPad is the worst tablet choice for that kind of thing - due to Apple's limitations few video formats are supported, you need to import before viewing, some USB devices / cards are not supported because of the supply current limit they added back in iOS4 so that people couldn't use "unapproved" devices...
Of course I weighed all of those limitations when making the purchase. At the time none of them were significant enough to outweigh the advantages of the iPad. The retina display makes it a fantastic demo machine, and the battery life means I can be out all day without running out of juice, I didn't feel the need to play video directly from the cards because that's too laggy in HD anyway. Copying the files to the iPad was an easy way to backup the flight data when hiking in the mountains away from my truck & laptop. At the time, the cameras didn't use microSD, so it was a non-factor. And I have a lot of iPad apps that I love and rely on.

But if the Hero3 cards can't be formatted in FAT, that changes everything. I find FPV significantly more enjoyable if I can immediately review my footage, and even do quick-edits on a tablet. There's no going back once you have a Hero3, despite it's quirks. The video blows everything else away.

So it looks like I may suddenly find myself in the market for different tablet.

And now we have another contender with the "surface" tablets. Competition is great! It makes buying decisions more challenging though.

Quote:
Wrong as already said, you just have to buy the AV-out cable that plugs in the USB port. There's no reason to have more delay than on the HD1 and HD2.
Has anybody actually tried flying from the USB video out while filming in 2.7k? I read somewhere that it's too laggy to fly. If that's wrong, I'd like to know, because I'd like to use a camera switch to toggle between the Hero and my Pixim.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:46 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,705 Posts
I don't think anyone actually *has* the 10pin combo USB cable yet, so no.
The reports of lag came from testing the mult-function slot on the back.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:55 PM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Mar 2006
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
The reports of lag came from testing the mult-function slot on the back.

ian
Correct. The test was with the back slot and with 1080 res. Much more lag than the GP2 on the same setup.
McCleary.11 is online now Find More Posts by McCleary.11
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:58 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
3,809 Posts
Quote:
I wonder if these SanDisk 64gig SDXC cards can only be formatted exFAT for some reason?
Aha! Yes that's the reason. The standard filesystem for SDXC (>32GB) cards is ExFAT.
You should be able to format them as FAT32 with 3rd-party tools (the free Minitool Partition Wizard should do it).
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:19 PM
F3K all day
Joined Dec 2011
1,600 Posts
You cant format it the micro sd? Thats weird.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:26 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
3,809 Posts
It's not that he can't format it, but Windows hides the FAT32 choice because it decides one shouldn't be using it on a 64GB card.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:30 PM
F3K all day
Joined Dec 2011
1,600 Posts
Oh. I understand.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:09 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,179 Posts
You!?? Back here!??

Quote:
It's not that he can't format it, but Windows hides the FAT32 choice because it decides one shouldn't be using it on a 64GB card.
saucisse is online now Find More Posts by saucisse