Old Jul 07, 2016, 12:19 PM
Find More Posts by Soufiani
Crash,fly,crash again....
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Mar 2015
131 Posts
Discussion
My version of the PP1

Hi guys,I just built a PP1 from this guy:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2105719
but with rudder and elevator instead of elevons and I added longer fins.So I'm wondering if here are things I can do to make this plane fly better without adding too much weight
And is the Kf2 step neccesary?How does it improve the plane?
Note: I'm just a beginner so I want to slow-fly,no crazy aerobatics
Thanks y'all!
Below are some pics of how I'll put the electronics on there,I use a 1000KV motor, 9x4,5 prop and a 2S battery
Soufiani is offline Find More Posts by Soufiani
Last edited by Soufiani; Jul 07, 2016 at 12:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2016, 02:42 PM
Find More Posts by JonathanCoD
Colombia, Casanare, Yopal
Joined Mar 2014
17 Posts
You got everything that is needed. Just get the CG according to the plans and put the push rod in the lowest spot of the servo and the highest of the control horn so you get small throws and the plane is docile.
Also make sure that ESC stays in place.
The KF step helps by increasing the lift thus allowing the plane to fly in a lower angle of attack.
JonathanCoD is offline Find More Posts by JonathanCoD
Old Jul 07, 2016, 02:50 PM
Joined Mar 2015
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanCoD View Post
You got everything that is needed. Just get the CG according to the plans and put the push rod in the lowest spot of the servo and the highest of the control horn so you get small throws and the plane is docile.
Also make sure that ESC stays in place.
The KF step helps by increasing the lift thus allowing the plane to fly in a lower angle of attack.
And does it make it slower and more stable?
Old Jul 07, 2016, 03:16 PM
Joined Mar 2014
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soufiani View Post
And does it make it slower and more stable?
That is the theory, yes.
Old Jul 08, 2016, 09:32 AM
Joined Mar 2015
131 Posts
Added a KFm2 airfoil

So I just added a KFm2 airfoil(see pic below)and I'm wondering if I should round the leading edge, will it improve lift?
Old Jul 08, 2016, 09:38 AM
Joined Mar 2014
17 Posts
Yep, nice and round is better. A little bit of sanding should do the trick.
Old Jul 08, 2016, 09:47 AM
Find More Posts by springer
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
11,891 Posts
KF step does several things, adds stiffness and durability to LE, provides a rudimentary airfoil that helps glide, stability and softens stall. You need to at least round the LE, but a more conventional airfoil-like leading edge works even better.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
Old Jul 08, 2016, 09:58 AM
Joined Mar 2014
17 Posts
When you go for the first flight try to record a video so you can review later and improve you flying skills and the performance of the plane.

This is an example of a plane that i built a while ago using a KF step.

Multiwii DIY en un avión. (0 min 56 sec)
Old Jul 08, 2016, 10:14 AM
Joined Mar 2015
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
KF step does several things, adds stiffness and durability to LE, provides a rudimentary airfoil that helps glide, stability and softens stall. You need to at least round the LE, but a more conventional airfoil-like leading edge works even better.
Should I round only the top layer or both?
Old Jul 08, 2016, 12:57 PM
Find More Posts by Piece
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Aug 2009
13,371 Posts
Top and bottom. Shoot for a half-circle profile. Take it sloooowwww. Foam is easy to remove and very hard to put back.

Also make sure you do the sanding somewhere easy to clean up or you'll be finding little white dust particles for the rest of your life. A mask/respirator is not a stupid idea here. You can use a sharp blade to take off the corners for less debris (and less effort).
Piece is offline Find More Posts by Piece
Old Jul 08, 2016, 02:08 PM
Joined Mar 2015
131 Posts
I just sanded the first half but it took a bit too long ,so for the second halve I cut a bevel and then sanded it.It looks really clean now
I'm probably going to maiden it in a few hours or so IF the wind calms down. Hopefully
Old Jul 08, 2016, 05:37 PM
Joined Mar 2015
131 Posts
Just maidened it

So I just maidened it and let's just say...it didn't go so well. It kept pitching up, I think the thrust line was off and there was a bit of wind( or all of this was just because of my flying skills)
One thing is certain: this plane can take a beating! The motor mount broke off and some scratches here and there. But I think the main problem was the hand-launch. I'm not used to launching the plane myself because my little sister always does it for me. And I didn't want to add landing gear because of the weight it would add. Going to try a 1200KV motor and add a landing gear. Going to maiden it tomorrow.
Wish me luck
Last edited by Soufiani; Jul 08, 2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2016, 10:25 PM
Find More Posts by Piece
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Aug 2009
13,371 Posts
This type of plane really needs all of the components (motor, ESC, battery, servos, receiver) mounted as close to the front as you can get them; otherwise it ends up ass heavy and you get to fight with it until it crashes.

Your power system seems pretty anemic. A 9" prop won't make jack for thrust on a 2S pack and 1000Kv motor (1200 isn't much better). A 3S lipo would be perfect, though.
Piece is offline Find More Posts by Piece
Old Jul 09, 2016, 03:18 AM
Find More Posts by goldguy
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
8,436 Posts
You need a few degrees of down thrust in the motor. Also, you may have a problem with turns with that much lack of dihedral authority. It's the dihedral that turns the model, the rudder just caused the model to pivot around the center of lift.

Look at the NutBall wing. It's designed specifically to fly with just rudder and elevator, while the PP1 is to be flown using elevens.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
Old Jul 09, 2016, 03:31 AM
Find More Posts by goldguy
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
8,436 Posts
How to launch...................

The NutBall has a canopy that's used for a hand launch handle. All you have to do it hold the model at arms length by the canopy, open the throttle until it wants to pull from your hand, not wide open, and drop it, just let it go, and it will fly away.

I posted a video some time ago (now removed) of this being done with the transmitter on the ground and the model flying without control input for a few minutes. Yes, the model was properly trimmed before the attempt.

So, add a profile canopy. It also may help the model turn better. Just keep most of the area behind the CG.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy