I'm curious about how tough it would be for me to fly one of these planes:

FMS Zero (1400 mm)
FMS BF-109 (1400 mm)
FMS Stuka (1400 mm)
FMS B-25

given that I've flown the following with various levels of experience:

Parkzone T-28 Trojan
Dynam Spitfire
Dynam PBY Catalina (this was a SAFE converted model)
Hobbyzone F4U Corsair with SAFE (flown in expert)
Habu w/ SAFE
several different trainers

What challenges are there with these planes that I'd have to look out for? I posted something similar in another forum, I'm just looking for more opinions. Thanks in advance!
deltaKshatriya is offline Find More Posts by deltaKshatriya
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:27 PM
Find More Posts by cloud9000
United States, CA, Dublin
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
The FMS Stuka is slow I've heard. The FMS BF109 looks good but because of the narrow landing gear, ground handling is all over the place.
FMS Zero is nice and the B25 flies nice as well. Seem both fly at my local fields.

I have the apprentice SAFE receiver in my 1400mm warbirds with my DX9 and love it. I can cruise around relaxed when flying.
cloud9000 is offline Find More Posts by cloud9000
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:29 PM
Find More Posts by Seacondor
What goes up .....
New Zealand, Auckland, Mercer
Joined Oct 2013
817 Posts
Out of all those planes the Zero is the best flier for you, followed by the Stuka. All reports on the bf 109F is it is harder to land but a gyro helps it. Can't comment on the b-25. From all I have read the Zero is your best bet. It looks to me after what you have flown you won't have any trouble with it. It is a very nice model for an older FMS plane.
Seacondor is offline Find More Posts by Seacondor
Old Feb 29, 2016, 01:12 PM
Find More Posts by deltaKshatriya
Joined Aug 2014
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud9000 View Post
The FMS Stuka is slow I've heard. The FMS BF109 looks good but because of the narrow landing gear, ground handling is all over the place.
FMS Zero is nice and the B25 flies nice as well. Seem both fly at my local fields.

I have the apprentice SAFE receiver in my 1400mm warbirds with my DX9 and love it. I can cruise around relaxed when flying.
I've been doing the same thing with my planes, putting in a SAFE receiver into them and having the assurance of backup onboard. By slow you mean it can fly slow or doesn't have very much speed?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 01:13 PM
Joined Aug 2014
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacondor View Post
Out of all those planes the Zero is the best flier for you, followed by the Stuka. All reports on the bf 109F is it is harder to land but a gyro helps it. Can't comment on the b-25. From all I have read the Zero is your best bet. It looks to me after what you have flown you won't have any trouble with it. It is a very nice model for an older FMS plane.
Ok so the BF-109 is a bit of a challenge to land without a gyro. The Zero does look nice, as does the Stuka.

In general, it's going to be quite tough to decide, so many good options...
Old Feb 29, 2016, 02:05 PM
Find More Posts by GradyLee
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
2,253 Posts
HobbyZone Sale on the Zero, Ending Today

I've got the 109, and can confirm that it's a great flyer but the ground handling's tricky; more so on landing than on take-off. Part of the challenge for me is that I'm landing on a fairly narrow paved road and so I'm often landing in a cross-wind. It might be easier landing on grass if you could land straight into the wind. I've also got the B-25; it's okay but not a favorite, frankly. I'm seriously looking at the Zero myself, too.

BTW--if you decide on the Zero HobbyZone's got a 15% off sale on the green version. Enter Warbird16 as the code; the sale ends today. Should save you $45 or so . . .
GradyLee is online now Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Feb 29, 2016, 02:12 PM
Find More Posts by Seacondor
What goes up .....
New Zealand, Auckland, Mercer
Joined Oct 2013
817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaKshatriya View Post
Ok so the BF-109 is a bit of a challenge to land without a gyro. The Zero does look nice, as does the Stuka.

In general, it's going to be quite tough to decide, so many good options...
Don't go for the bf-109 at this stage. I have both the Zero and Stuka. The Zero is a more solid plane than the Stuka. You can't go wrong with it. I suggest you read the threads about them.
Seacondor is offline Find More Posts by Seacondor
Old Feb 29, 2016, 07:25 PM
Joined Aug 2014
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacondor View Post
Don't go for the bf-109 at this stage. I have both the Zero and Stuka. The Zero is a more solid plane than the Stuka. You can't go wrong with it. I suggest you read the threads about them.
Ok I'm curious tho why you prefer the Zero over the Stuka?

On another note, I can't really buy today, as I'm actually going out of town for a little, so after I get back I'll purchase probably.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 07:30 PM
Find More Posts by Alpha.MotionRC
Kicking Tires
Joined Jan 2014
1,205 Posts
Based on your list, I'd recommend the FMS 1400mm Zero. I fly A LOT of planes, and the Zero remains in my top three of foam electric warbirds as far as fun flying characteristics and overall behavior. Rake the gear forward and/or install softer foam wheels if you're on grass to ward against noseovers, but otherwise it's a winner in my book.
Alpha.MotionRC is offline Find More Posts by Alpha.MotionRC