HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:58 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,260 Posts
So sad gkalush. I had a loverly fly a couple of nights ago, but it has been quite windy since. I have since been repairing a friends foam glider. I try and keep myself busy with something rc related if I can. Hope you sort your glitch problem, hope things don't happen in threes for youi'm sure you will be up and flying again soon.
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:56 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkalush View Post
Thanks Captain ... I am truly frustrated. I put a lot of time into these two builds, and I have to say they both came out really well. Can't understand the electronics issues ... first an aileron servo that overtravelled and frozed with full deflection, and now a lost radio signal ... what the heck. Anyway, if I stay away from it for a while I might change my mind, I guess I am too frustrated to think rationally about it right now.
I am no electronics wizard by any stretch but I'm curious what your using....
Dick
capteasy is online now Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:09 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,175 Posts
Did that last plane have the e-tracts or mechanicals? The e-tracts that I have used all have an overcurrent and 3 second stall cut-out. A jammed gear will go to sleep after 3 seconds and not draw the esc into over current.

So sorry to hear that you had the problems. I know how that goes, when it feels like every thing you fly is doomed. Been there and I know that it gets to you. I know that you will get over it sooner or later.

Be well, amigo.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined May 2009
277 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks for the support. I had two mishaps in the same morning. The first was pilot error, I straffed "second base" (I fly at a local elementary school and there is a baseball diamond) that I didn't see when taking off with the Hyperion P-51 Suzy ... ripped the left LG right out of the wing. I successfully took off and was flying it around with the landing strut dangling from the wing. Landed it on one leg, and have it repaired already. Then I took up the Spit, was flying GREAT, fast, straight and level, a truly sweet bird ... on final I swept over a couple of houses and that's when it took the radio hit. I am thinking a must have flown too close to a 802.11-N wireless router ... these devices have a tendancy to flood the 2.4GHz band.
Anyway, I am not completely sure what happened, I have a friend with a spectrum analyzer that will stop over and survey the area for me as this could be a problem from now on if a new router was installed and will be operational in our flight path ... but I don;t know if this is the root cause.

Captain, my setup is a Spektrum DX7 radio with an AR6200 receiver. I tested the receiver from the rubble and it worked fine ... it survived the crash (but not much else!)

JimNM, I used the HK e-tracts on this one, and you are right they do shut down if in overload, but I don't think that was the issue, I had lowered the gear downfield in the downleg and had good control for about 5 - 6 seconds after they locked down, when I pulled into my final approach turn ... that is where I lost it ... no control at all.

The only plausible explanation is a radio hit ... and the wireless router is a good working hypothesis. I should know more when we complete the spectrum sweep. I will let you guys know. Thanks again for your support and concern.
gkalush is online now Find More Posts by gkalush
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:18 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,883 Posts
....yes for sure let us know what you find, thanks and good luck.
ce
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined May 2009
277 Posts
Just bought another Spitfire from HK, they got in 6 and I grabbed one ... I sure hope that the third time is a charm! Having built 2 others, I now know the drill pretty well. I will try to adjust the motor/prop alignment as justflynow2 mentions when my kit comes in.

No scan yet with the spectrum analyzer ... my friend hasn't been out to fly in the past several weeks, Once that is done I will let you guys know what it tells us.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:06 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,260 Posts
Good on you gkalush. I have had just the one flight since my last post in windier conditions and although it flew as it should was found a little wanting for power and penertration upwind. I think I will reserve this plane for perfect conditions, it is a bit disappointing to see a scale model buffeted by the wind and start to look like the light balsa and film build it really is.
Careful with your mods too gkalush, I wouldn't presume anything with these arfs these days, hopefully your new kit is in good order and your experience will stand you in good stead. My general approach is to do as little as is neccesary. Hopefully you won't need to adjust anything. Anyway, happy flying. See you in the skys soon.
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:49 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkalush View Post
, when I pulled into my final approach turn ... that is where I lost it ... no control at all.

The only plausible explanation is a radio hit ...
I see that quite regularly with scale models at our club (a crash during or just after the final turn to touch down). But it's not a radio glitch...
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:42 PM
Joined May 2009
277 Posts
Thanks mustflynow2 ... I will build it like the other two, but I might try to get the motor/prop pulling downward a bit ... the stock motor mount has it pulling upward ... which I always adjust with down elevator.

PLMS ... if its not a radio glitch, what is it? I turned toward final and it stopped responding all together ... what do you think it is?
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:26 PM
Wingnutz
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined May 2009
271 Posts
Belated contribution

Have really appreciated this thread as a resource so will add a few bits that may help others.
Model balances at 75mm with a 3300mah 3S and AUW is 1240g or about 2.8 lbs. Motor is an HK 3635 NTM prop drive with a 60A Plush ESC spinning an 11x6 folding prop on an over-sized spinner which brings it to about 12x6.
Photos are of the aileron/linkage protectors since model has to belly land, and other pics are of efforts to keep things cool. Sorry I haven't cleaned up the vent holes behind the wing.
Bill Quantock is offline Find More Posts by Bill Quantock
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:32 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,175 Posts
Video (head mount Contour)

Well, it did not turn out like I wanted it to, but I will keep working on it.

The wind kicked up just before this flight started. The prop dies at the end due to small down draft that bounces the model just before it comes into view. You can hear it hit. Flown with 3s 4000, Emax 2820-7 motor and 13x8 prop.

HK Spitfire January 4, 2013 (3 min 50 sec)
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:12 PM
Joined May 2009
277 Posts
Awesome flight Jim, I have parking lot envy! What a great place to fly, looks like the lot goes on for miles!
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:19 PM
Joined May 2009
277 Posts
Just started my Spitfire build, I hope the third time is a charm! I figured out that I lost the satellite receiver on the last flight of Spit number 2. It seems that the little wire between the main receiver and satellite was failing during flight, so this might have contributed to my radio lost signal. I bought new wires and I am going to epoxy they to the little white connectors to be safe. I hope this solves the problem.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:15 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,883 Posts
Best of luck with it - let us knowhow it goes.....!
ce
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:14 PM
Joined May 2009
277 Posts
I just finished the Spitfire build. Experience on my previous two birds made this one easy to build. It looks just like the last two, and I think I might have stumbled on the reason I lost radio signal, and I would encourage you guys to check this out too. The thin wire between the main receiver and the satellite was bad. After takeoff, the satellite seems to be diabled, leaving only the main reciever ... which cut down on the range substantially. I checked all my other planes and all but one had similarly intermittenly failing wires. I tend to have my planes for several years, and all I can guess is that those little white connectors just don't stand up well to the vibrations and g-forces I put on them inside my planes. I am replacing them one by one and tying down the wires... and the satellites now stay locked on, where before they would go into blinking mode wiithin minutes of taking off. Wish me luck on this maiden!