HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2004, 08:05 PM
WAR EAGLE
Parrish Fl
Joined Apr 2004
1,856 Posts
Monte

Just finished a Gene Payson foam Monte (Troy Built Models) What a beautiful flyer for even an inexperienced pilot like myself. Easy to assemble and I'm already on high rates doing axial rolls straight up and all the basic aerobatics. Flies as slow as you want for such a heavy foamy. No tip stall. Motor is a Himax 2025-4266 with 6:1 gear, Apogee 2080 liop 3cell (flies all day)and Phoenix 25 Esc. Prop 12 x 6 and pulls 17 amps for max on motor of 20. This has more power than you can beleive. Can't hover yet but working on it. You want go wrong with this set up. Have built two shocks but this puts them to shame. The Monte takes wind as the Shocks take very little and are hard to build. Would include a picture but can't figure out how to do it.
callen is offline Find More Posts by callen
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2004, 09:19 AM
gotta have just one more
Atlanta
Joined Jan 2003
50 Posts
How durable is the Monte compared to a shock flyer?
photoman is offline Find More Posts by photoman
Old Nov 17, 2004, 09:47 AM
United States, ME, North Yarmouth
Joined May 2004
56 Posts
I am finishing up my Monte and am suprised where I am having to put the battery pack to balance the plane. The instructions say to balance the plane on the spar at the wingtips. Using a new ETEC 3cell 1200 8.5c pack I have to put the battery right behind the motor. Did you use the spar for your cg and where did your battery end up? Thanks Steve
StevenG is offline Find More Posts by StevenG
Old Nov 17, 2004, 11:45 AM
Mount Vernon Skagit, Washington, United States
Joined Dec 2001
449 Posts
The Monte is really brittle, one easy doink and the fuse WILL break just aft of the wing. Gene said the fix is a 1 inch piece of fiberglass, smoothed over with foam safe CA...I have 2 Monte's, had to do it to both.
So after the fix, both Monte's weigh 16 oz....kinda piggy, but with the Himax 4100, still flys well...great in any wind, steady eddy KEpasses down low.
Be sure to tape the rudder hinge line before it breaks..and it will break after 4 or 5 tail touches...happened to both of mine, too.
The only somewhat derrogotory thing I can say about the way it flys, is heavy. Not that that's a bad thing...it just is what it is.
I just gutted mine to get the Extreme Flight Yak in the air...but I'll keep it as a quick fix backup...I'm using the optional landing gear from Insane Foamy's on mine..love the way it holds up..and installs.
My Battery (Kokam 1250hd) is right on the LE...half on and half forward.
Hope this helps..
Michael Bogh is offline Find More Posts by Michael Bogh
Old Nov 17, 2004, 04:27 PM
Real name, Adam Ruiz
Joined Sep 2004
139 Posts
Here are some videos of me flying Mike Boghs Monte.

http://www.dweiland.rchomepage.com/video/Monte.wmv

http://www.dweiland.rchomepage.com/video/montepart2.wmv

http://www.dweiland.rchomepage.com/video/montebonus.wmv
3DSWEPED#2 is offline Find More Posts by 3DSWEPED#2
Old Nov 17, 2004, 04:41 PM
Real name, Adam Ruiz
Joined Sep 2004
139 Posts
Photoman it is as weak or maybe a little stronger.
3DSWEPED#2 is offline Find More Posts by 3DSWEPED#2
Old Nov 17, 2004, 08:50 PM
Team JR
San Diego
Joined Feb 2002
1,595 Posts
I'm building mine now. It's heavy for sure.. but it goes together in VERY short order.
Doug Cronkhite is offline Find More Posts by Doug Cronkhite
Old Nov 17, 2004, 09:40 PM
Joined Dec 2001
449 Posts
Oh yea...'bout 2 hours from box to air...
Old Nov 18, 2004, 11:15 PM
Team JR
San Diego
Joined Feb 2002
1,595 Posts
Flew mine this afternoon. Very solid flying airplane. I put a Typhoon 15 on it on 3 TP 2100's turning an APC 11x4.7 SF. Really nice flying airplane.
Doug Cronkhite is offline Find More Posts by Doug Cronkhite
Old Nov 19, 2004, 12:51 AM
Joined Dec 2001
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcronkhite
Flew mine this afternoon. Very solid flying airplane. I put a Typhoon 15 on it on 3 TP 2100's turning an APC 11x4.7 SF. Really nice flying airplane.
Shoot Doug, mines damn near ballistic with the 1250's Hd's....yours outta 'splode under full power. Dija try them solid to the ground KE passes yet?
Does a nice violent blender/panic full speed, too. 8^)~
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:47 PM
Mansell Models
United States, UT, Layton
Joined May 2004
1,329 Posts
Here is my Monte. What a sweet bird! Hovers a little less than 3/4 throttle. Rolls extremely fast. My bird weighs flyable at 20.8 oz. A little heave but very satisfying. My setup is this: E-flite 400 with a Pheonix 25. a TP 3S 2100mah,
a GWS Gearbox with a D gear 6:1 ratio, swinging a 11X8 prop. 4 HS-55 Servos, a Berg 6 reciever. The Landing gear added 1 oz. to the airplane, definitly worth the weight.
N827TM is offline Find More Posts by N827TM
Old Dec 17, 2004, 12:48 AM
Team Hammer
Downey,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
66 Posts
I like mine also

The Monte is a very solid flying plane, a little heavy but that is what makes it fly good in the wind. very crisp turns and rolls hovers at half throtle, knife edge all day and repeted knife edge loops. For power MP jet outrunner blue,3s TP 1320, 10 amp CC esc,4 hitec 55s and a Plantracto 4 ch rec. AUW is 15oz. It's my favorite plane-3D is new to me but I'm having a blast learning it,
Team Hammer is offline Find More Posts by Team Hammer