SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 15, 2014, 06:10 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,549 Posts
Build Log
Howard Bonner 75% Smog Hog for AMPLAN Build Off

Some preparation before starting the actual build next month.

What I want is a 75% version so it's a sort of scale model and the first thing to do before tackling one of these is to collect all your documentation.

I have the full size plan and copies of the construction articles from MAN February 1957 and Aeromodeller April 1957 plus a couple of shots from the internet. This will give me the outline and colour scheme.

There already exist at least two plans for reduced size Hogs - one in MAN August 1973 and another in Radio Modeller August 1994 but I spent a couple of enjoyable hours scaling down the full size plan to produce my own drawing and structure.

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ
Last edited by RFJ; Aug 26, 2014 at 04:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2014, 07:24 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
................ I spent a couple of enjoyable hours scaling down the full size plan to produce my own drawing and structure.

Ray
Ah, the sign of a REAL aeromodeller - someone who ENJOYS drawing plans! I spent a pleasant hour or two last evening with pencil, straight edge and french curve on the reverse procedure having decided to scale up the Airknocker drawing from the little A4 rather than tile print it out - glad I did, I enjoyed the exercise.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2014, 07:32 AM
Dog is my co-pilot
Joined Jan 2004
1,000 Posts
Subscribed!
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Aug 15, 2014, 08:26 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,869 Posts
Subscribed....

I enclose a couple of pics of my old Smog Hog.
(Powered by an MVVS 40 with Super Tigre carb & silencer)

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Aug 15, 2014, 08:59 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,549 Posts
Nice work Gluehand - hope my little one turns out as good.

Many years ago I actually built an original size Hog but sold it before completion. It had turned out rather heavy and for some unknown reason I had used a foam wing I decided that someday I would return to the design and build it properly. Sundancer's AMPLAN build off is just the excuse I need.

Nowadays I tend to build smaller models and, since the original was quite a chunky beast, 3/4 full size seems about the right size for an electric version.

Ray
Last edited by RFJ; Aug 17, 2014 at 07:05 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 09:18 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,869 Posts
Thanks Ray,

My Smog Hog was a great flyer, however a few years ago I sold it.....yes you guessed it, due to its "chunkiness".
A small car, small house with an even smaller cellar made transport and storage a handful...
This is my first year of retirement, and I predict that smaller things (in general) will fly off my building board...

(Among many "projects", I'm thinking of a "Spearhead Jr", scaled down a bit, to suit a 0.25cc Schlosser diesel)

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Aug 15, 2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 04:26 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,549 Posts
Quote:
(Among many "projects", I'm thinking of a "Spearhead Jr",
Cute design but reminds me of something..........

Ray
Old Aug 16, 2014, 04:34 AM
Mt Evelyn, Melbourne, OZ
Joined Dec 2008
628 Posts
This Hog has reminded me I always wanted another Hog.
Maybe an Astro Hog is firming up as my entry.
Warren B is online now Find More Posts by Warren B
Old Aug 16, 2014, 04:51 AM
United Kingdom, England, Richmond
Joined Apr 2011
75 Posts
Will be following with interest. Back in 1959 Charles Riall designed the Rattler for Galloping Ghost, this was essentially a 3/4 size Smog Hog.

Alan
ukengineman is offline Find More Posts by ukengineman
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:06 AM
I'd rather be flying.....
United States, IA, Story City
Joined Oct 2013
371 Posts
smog hog

Hi Everyone -

My friend has a Smog Hog we flew last summer - it is a heavy beast but flies SO NICE ! A wonderful model and I'm looking forward to seeing the 3/4 size SH take shape !

Best Regards,

Jeff
JeffMac is offline Find More Posts by JeffMac
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2014, 08:39 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
714 Posts
My first encounter with the Smog Hog was at a fly in in Marysville Ks. back in the 60's. A fellow from KC came out with one sporting a Fox 59. To say I was impressed is an understatement as he would do verticle 8's with the bottoms about 4' high and the tops at about 50'. These were inside on the bottom and outside on the top. He would kick in the throttle at the bottom of the 8, and then pull it off at the top. I was flying an Esquire at the time with an Enya 19lV, and I could not believe the stuff he was doing with that thing.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Old Aug 23, 2014, 09:59 AM
Joined Jan 2005
708 Posts
Scaled down Smog Hog

Here is a scaled down Smog Hog. K&B .19 R/C with reeds. Span about 56 inches if memory is correct. A great flying model. Here at Misawa AB North Honshu. Jack
JackHiner is offline Find More Posts by JackHiner
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:50 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,549 Posts
Before getting down to building perhaps a little history would be in order. I am sure most of the "Old Timers" who frequent this forum will be familiar with the Smog Hog but for those who are not .........

Designed by Howard Bonner and flown by him to win the 1956 US Nats, the Smog Hog is considered by many to have been the first true competition aerobatic model. From it were developed the Astro Hog, Perigee, Taurus etc. which set the basic parameters for subsequent designs. A Smog Hog (with ailerons) also won the 1957 Nats flown by Bob Dunham.

As an ex F3A competition flier I appreciate Howard's contribution to the class and felt I should someday build a Smog Hog as my small tribute to him. I started F3A in 1967 with a reed equipped, Merco powered Dave Platt Kingpin and finished in 1992 with retract/pipe own designs. Along the way I remember having a Moonglow, Thunderstormer, Bar Fli, Twister, Swinger, Belaire, Capricorn, Meteor, Tornado and Super Star - happy days

Right now, being too old and stupid to be competitive any longer, a little Smog Hog will suit me just fine. I have collected all the materials, covering and accessories needed ready to start building next week.

1) Anyone know Mr Bonner's AMA number.
2) Anyone know the manoeuvre schedule used at the 1956 Nats so I can try some prototypical flying.

Ray
Last edited by RFJ; Sep 02, 2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:50 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,630 Posts
Wow that is quite a list of aerobatic models Ray. I never got too heavily into aerobatics, certainly not competitively, just for a few years before I became hooked on thermal soaring, but I did have a Barfly and a Kwikfly III. My favourite though was Doug Spreng's "flat top" Stormer. I looked out my plan recently with thoughts of an electric version and was amazed all over again at how light the construction is - lots of 1/16" balsa. In fact very little in the way of changes would be required to produce a highly aerobatic electric model which would not require large cell counts - probably 3S or at most 4S.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:20 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,269 Posts
Quote:
I am sure most of the "Old Timers" who frequent this forum will be familiar with the Smog Hog...
I for one will never forget the Smog Hog. In 1957, Howard Bonner and Bob Palmer (control line guy) did a demonstration tour of southern Africa, the UK, and possibly some other places too. As a model airplane mad kid, I couldnít believe my good fortune when they included Salisbury, Rhodesia, where I lived at the time. Iíll never forget the demos they put on, especially Bonnerís RC ones. He had his Smog Hog (the very one shown on the MAN cover photo in Post #1, I believe) as well as an example of the latest and greatest development, the Astro Hog.

Everybody who saw the models and the flying that day was just blown away by it all. We did have a very active local club, but the most advanced equipment anyone had seen up to that time was one of those ED rudder only cubic foot boxes with the lamp cord and switch, which hardly ever worked anyway. To see what Bonner did with his Hogs was unbelievable. More than 50 years later I can still remember each one of his many perfect flights like it all happened yesterday. Happy days, indeed.

Shortly after that I got hijacked by the usual motorcycles/girls/cars thing, and I never did get around to building a Hog (of either species). But theyíre still on my someday list, and Iíll be watching your build with much interest.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D