HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Spadplanter, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 07:50 PM
central CA
Joined Aug 2002
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Sports View Post
Nice Spad and Corsair.

Out of interest what does a 48" glow powered corro plane weigh?
Thanks guys!!

The corsair was right about 5 1/2 pounds
draftman1 is offline Find More Posts by draftman1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2014, 01:51 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined May 2012
437 Posts
Holy cow....I usually target just over 2lb AUW for that size warbird! I'm constantly amazed at the range of weights that these correx creations will fly at
Extreme Sports is offline Find More Posts by Extreme Sports
Old Jul 05, 2014, 12:31 PM
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Feb 2013
598 Posts
A little video of the SPAD flying. Right around the 1 minute mark, I roll upright after a low inverted pass, and the SPAD Stik almost met its doom This plane is a hoot to fly! Coroplast and Adams Foam Board are two of my favorite building mediums. I like a nice balsa plane as much as the next guy, but the low financial consequence flying is always fun!!

More SPAD Stik Flying (7 min 34 sec)
roversgonemad is offline Find More Posts by roversgonemad
Old Jul 09, 2014, 11:38 AM
Joined May 2012
437 Posts
Mitsubishi A6M Zero

Span: 1200mm (48")
AUW: 890g (~2lb)
CWL: 7.6
Power: HXT DT750 motor with 11x7 prop and 1300mAh LiPo

This one has provision for retracts and split flaps, but I've not got round to trying them yet.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:27 PM
Joined Dec 2008
20 Posts
Hi, has any one built a 100cc SPAD. if so i would like the plans.
fchris2 is offline Find More Posts by fchris2
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:15 AM
Joined May 2012
437 Posts
Mugi Tea Racer

This one has been on and off my build list for a long time....I think the Mugi guys created a plane with very elegant lines. But the jury seemed to be out on whether it was a decent flyer or not. Anyway, I finally got round to trying it. Incidentally, I enlarged it by about 10% and made the fuselage lighter.

Specs:
Span: 900mm
AUW: 550g
CWL: 8.0
Power: 2826 2200Kv park jet motor with 1300mAh Lipo (3S) and 6x4 prop.

It certainly did not fly 'out of the box'. In fact I destroyed 2 fuselages before I got it to fly nicely. Though to be fair the first was my fault (taking my eyes off the plane to adjust the trim) and a dog attacked and mauled the second one. If you look carefully at the first picture, you can see the claw marks on the left wing

Once trimmed out it does fly pretty well. It is a bit twitchy in pitch (Mugi does warn that it is) and its not as fast as I expected. But it does have an unexpectedly good speed range and stall behaviour is not bad at all. In summary, its a simple build and nice size for a 'throw in the car' then 'throw around the sky' performance plane. May be worth experimenting with some hotter set ups in the future.
Last edited by Extreme Sports; Jul 28, 2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:39 AM
Envies his own avatar
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Apr 2008
578 Posts
Nice job on it regardless!
rockyabq is offline Find More Posts by rockyabq
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2014, 04:46 AM
Glow? What is that?
South Africa, FS, Bloemfontein
Joined Apr 2009
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Sports View Post
This one has been on and off my build list for a long time....I think the Mugi guys created a plane with very elegant lines. But the jury seemed to be out on whether it was a decent flyer or not. Anyway, I finally got round to trying it. Incidentally, I enlarged it by about 10% and made the fuselage lighter.

Specs:
Span: 900mm
AUW: 550g
CWL: 8.0
Power: 2826 2200Kv park jet motor with 1300mAh Lipo (3S) and 6x4 prop.

It certainly did not fly 'out of the box'. In fact I destroyed 2 fuselages before I got it to fly nicely. Though to be fair the first was my fault (taking my eyes off the plane to adjust the trim) and a dog attacked and mauled the second one. If you look carefully at the first picture, you can see the claw marks on the left wing

Once trimmed out it does fly pretty well. It is a bit twitchy in pitch (Mugi does warn that it is) and its not as fast as I expected. But it does have an unexpectedly good speed range and stall behaviour is not bad at all. In summary, its a simple build and nice size for a 'throw in the car' then 'throw around the sky' performance plane. May be worth experimenting with some hotter set ups in the future.
I kept it the original 100% size.

Increase the motor to an inrunner 2500KV and go up to a 5x5 prop.
THEN SHE SHUNTS.......
Blizards316 is offline Find More Posts by Blizards316
Old Sep 03, 2014, 07:58 AM
Joined May 2012
437 Posts
Plastic Polaris

The Polaris thread in the foamies scratch-build forum must be one of the most popular on RCG (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922465). Its been on my build list for a long time, but just as I was about to start cutting the foam, it occurred to me that I might be able to make one from correx.

I had to make a few changes to the design to suit correx construction and to mitigate the extra mass of correx, but the result is a fantastic park and lake flyer. Its certainly not a 'simple' SPAD, but using correx gives a much tougher plane that still flies incredibly well and is unusually versatile.

The most complex part of my build was ensuring that all correx joints would be 100% waterproof...but if you not planning to fly off water (or are not as worried about leaks as I was) , it could be quite a simple build....in essence its just a Mugi with a fuselage and tail.

Span: ~900mm (larger than the depron one)
AUW: ~750g (About 150g heavier than the depron version)
WCL: 5.9 (Same as the depron version)
Power: Turnigy 2826-2200KV with a 6x4 prop and 1300mAh Lipo (same as the depron version).

Here is some video of my having some fun with my 'Plastic Polaris' at my local park. I highly recommend this plane!!

Plastic Polaris (3 min 35 sec)
Old Sep 08, 2014, 11:14 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2013
88 Posts
Awesome. Would love to see some plans/build log ES!
pzanni is offline Find More Posts by pzanni
Old Sep 09, 2014, 02:49 AM
Joined May 2012
437 Posts
Plans (for the foam version) are on the first page of the original thread (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922465 ). Discussion on my modifications and pictures of the correx build start at post 24848 (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2465&page=1657). I think its best to keep all questions and discussion on the original thread as the average Polaris flyer is probably unaware that a SPAD forum even exists...and several of them have useful insights.
Old Sep 09, 2014, 09:56 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,382 Posts
WOW, a 1,600 page discussion of a plane. Laddie lived in the next town to where I used to be. Still flies foamies and stuff.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM
AMA District XI AVP
Boise, Idaho
Joined Mar 2006
10 Posts
How about 16 DPS's for 2 pylon races this past Saturday
bw5493 is offline Find More Posts by bw5493
Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Feb 2013
598 Posts
There appears to be some real hoodlums in that shot.... Particularly those fellows from Idaho Falls..... Rough crowd.

EDIT: that must be pre-race, all the planes appear to be in one piece
roversgonemad is offline Find More Posts by roversgonemad