HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:09 PM
Joined Jan 2012
133 Posts
Question
Easiest size heli to service and most reliable?

Hi folks,

What is the easiest heli to work on I've heard that the Align TRex 600 is very easy to work on due to size albeit a little pricey and like most Align products it's pretty solid build quality. Also thought about HK500 or EXI-500 but not sure about quality.

Any thoughts?
Tks!
h8tow8 is offline Find More Posts by h8tow8
Last edited by h8tow8; Feb 20, 2012 at 01:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:37 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,513 Posts
Now that I know what I'm doing, I find my T-Rex 500 easy to work on. My only gripes are the hassle to replace the tail drive belt, and the soft metal used for the little self-tapping screws.

I've just got a shaft-drive T-Rex 550 and my first reaction was it was better because all the screws are bigger and, thus, less likely to strip their heads. But then I still stripped one when trying to remove the bottom plate to connect the motor to the ESC.

As for reliability, my 500 has gone for ten months now without needing anything done to it -- not even any pilot-induced damage. It flies four batteries practically every weekend.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:00 AM
LOOK MOM! TEN THUMBS!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Aug 2009
471 Posts
Bigger is almost always easier to service (unless youve got small hands and GOOD eyes)

Quality?.....not to beat a dead horse but for most things you get what you pay for. Not saying that clones are junk at all, I have 5 clones of various size including a HK500. But in all I have replaced all the "suspect" parts with "quality" parts..........not necessarily Align parts because sometimes their parts are junk too.........But Quality parts.

Reliability? Ive never had any mechanical/electrical issues with my helis (I have dumb thumb issues often ), But I take care of them like I want them to last forever.....regular services, inspections before and especially after each flight.....and i immediately replace any thing that looks like it needs it.

Like anything you get out what you put in.
desertdweller is online now Find More Posts by desertdweller
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:42 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,656 Posts
The Thunder Tiger Mini Titan is the easiest heli to work on I've come across, and being 450 size, it's pretty versatile. The motor is top-mounted, so adjusting gear mesh is a cinch. The three cyclic servos are external to the frames and directly linked to the swash and the whole tail section comes out in one piece with the tail servo. The frames even have built-in clips for the servo leads.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:47 PM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8tow8 View Post
Hi folks,

What is the easiest heli to work on I've heard that the Align TRex 600 is very easy to work on due to size albeit a little pricey and like most Align products it's pretty solid build quality. Also thought about HK500 or EXI-500 but not sure about quality.

Any thoughts?
Tks!
-As others have said: the larger the size the heli, the easier it is to work on. That being said, I've found that for me, one limiter is the cost of the lipo pack. The pack-cost for a decent size, 35c pack for a 450+ heli can be quite expensive...
elan is online now Find More Posts by elan
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:37 PM
Joined Feb 2012
36 Posts
ill second a 500 size, it has a perfect balance of crash cost and size
nick779 is offline Find More Posts by nick779
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Jan 2012
133 Posts
Thanks for input guys,

Looks like 500 is popular size and a little easier to work on than let's say a Blade 450 which is pretty tight. I see all these names "E" "ESP", "3GX" can someone give me a elevator statement as to difference between them?

I was looking at wikipedia, looks like E is older and was replaced by ESP? and 3GX is FBL head..?

Finally, looks like Amazon selling TRex 550 3GX V2 for just $100 more than 500 ESP $770 vs $865.
http://www.amazon.com/Align-T-REX-55...pd_sim_sbs_t_7
http://www.amazon.com/Align-T-REX-50...pd_sim_sbs_t_6

Is it good idea to order these helis from Amazon or would local hobby shop offer better support if you buy it from them?

Apologies for all questions, I've only been in this hobby couple months but I wake up every morning hoping for no wind.. super stoked to be flying albeit only sport flying at the moment..

Cheers!
h8tow8 is offline Find More Posts by h8tow8
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:13 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8tow8
... Is it good idea to order these helis from Amazon or would local hobby shop offer better support if you buy it from them?
My local model shop is owned by an expert heli and fixed-wing flyer, it's convenient for me to get to, and he gives club members 10% discount off manufacturers' recommended prices.

So, if I buy from him I know I can get practical help and advice (he test-flew my first heli build for me) and no-quibble returns of faulty items.

Having said that, there are some things he can't obtain (distributors who won't sell one-offs, for instance), and a few things that are massively cheaper on the internet, so I do go internet shopping sometimes.

My recent T-Rex 550e 3Gx purchase was from my local shop, since his price was close to anything I could find on the internet.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:12 PM
Joined Dec 2007
842 Posts
I found my Century Swift 550NX to be very easy on the budget, flies like a 600, and very easy to work on.
Cyclick is offline Find More Posts by Cyclick
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:04 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,683 Posts
+1 on the Century Swift. A little larger than the Trex500, same size, more or less, as the T-rex 550. Parts are inexpensive, and the heli is as durable as a 550 size CP can get. Most of the parts are plastic, but don't let that fool you. Century uses a high grade plastic that seems to be as tough as industrial ABS. There are aluminum bling parts available, but you don't need them. For a larger EP heli, my Swift fills the bill for a fraction of what a T-Rex 550 or 600 will cost. (I have the older Swift 16, which was replaced by the NX, but most of the parts that count are interchangeable.)
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:48 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalheli View Post
+1 on the Century Swift. A little larger than the Trex500, same size, more or less, as the T-rex 550. Parts are inexpensive, and the heli is as durable as a 550 size CP can get. Most of the parts are plastic, but don't let that fool you. Century uses a high grade plastic that seems to be as tough as industrial ABS. There are aluminum bling parts available, but you don't need them. For a larger EP heli, my Swift fills the bill for a fraction of what a T-Rex 550 or 600 will cost. (I have the older Swift 16, which was replaced by the NX, but most of the parts that count are interchangeable.)
Ditto to all of the above.
rotoraddict is online now Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:18 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalheli View Post
+1 Swifts are cheap,easy to work on and generally very durable.

Mini Titan E325's arent too bad either though.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:26 PM
Quit asking ???s, get a Quark!
On a 20ft ladder with a 20ft stick beating an airplane out of a tree. In Spokane, WA.
Joined Oct 2006
713 Posts
+2 on the Swift.
wetwolf is offline Find More Posts by wetwolf