SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:32 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,295 Posts
What does it take to put an FDM print head on a CNC mill I already have? Does anyone have software that will do FDM on an existing machine operated by EMC2? I do subtractive protoyping, but the part quality of these DIY FDM has improved to the point where it might be useful.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:06 PM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
So It looks like I'll be getting a 3D printer regardless of whether the funding actually hits 100 orders or not!

http://makibox.com/z-axis-and-other-happenings

Funding at 33%
THE_SHRUB is offline Find More Posts by THE_SHRUB
Old Feb 15, 2012, 02:19 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I notice in one of those pictures it looks like he is using USB connections for the controllers, that is a welcome change from the usual par. port stuff.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Feb 15, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
I notice in one of those pictures it looks like he is using USB connections for the controllers, that is a welcome change from the usual par. port stuff.
Yup, another reason why I went with this project, I don't have a computer with a parallel port
Old Feb 15, 2012, 03:37 PM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamysz View Post
What does it take to put an FDM print head on a CNC mill I already have? Does anyone have software that will do FDM on an existing machine operated by EMC2? I do subtractive protoyping, but the part quality of these DIY FDM has improved to the point where it might be useful.

Greg
This guy has done some work on adding a print head to cnc router. I haven't looked to much into it yet.
robe_uk is offline Find More Posts by robe_uk
Old Feb 15, 2012, 03:51 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,295 Posts
robe_uk, exactly! Thank you.
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Feb 15, 2012, 04:16 PM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamysz View Post

Greg
I also asked this question and found the info that the village_idiot found, except I found it on the CNCZone.com, http://www.cnczone.com/forums/3d_pri..._software.html.
This link will answer some questions for Mach3 users.
The only thing I have personally found out is that it is going to cost almost as much to outfit my CNC router with and extruder head and all it's accessories than it would be just to buy one of the Makibox's.
Tom
DeadTom is offline Find More Posts by DeadTom
Last edited by DeadTom; Feb 15, 2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 04:47 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,437 Posts
I'm not impressed with homebuilt 3D printers. The quality isn't there on existing kits (Reprap) and hence the final part quality suffers. I have seen parts made with the $20K machine and a rep-rap; the latter isn't even in the same league.

The same is true of most low end CNC routing machines. You really need to spend $1000+ to get a CNC router with decent accuracy for a 12"x24" type unit, and go up from there.

Still, its nice to see the tinkering and hopefully I can one day replace my desktop printer with a 3D do-all box.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:26 PM
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Your are correct, but the big difference is $20,000.00 vs $300.00, so for the cost differential I will put up with lower print quality for my "hobby" purposes. Now if I was in business to print prototypes for other manufacturers I would invest in an expensive machine not a hobby level device.
And yes my DIY CNC router did cost me about $1200 6 years ago to build and then the expensive software on top of that. It will cut a block of material (wood products) 15.5" x 32" x 5.5" in size to whatever I would like.
Now I want to play with a 3d printer, inexpensively.
Tom
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:58 PM
Maker
Joined Feb 2012
3 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm the developer for the MakiBox. It looks like you've pretty well answered the questions about it, but am happy to help with any questions. Size wise, I picked the current volume since it is just large enough for most small projects, like phone cases or most things you might use around the house.

I picked a handful of design constraints: letter sized, output larger than the Makerbot, faster than the typical machines in that class and more accurate, and reasonable cost. So, things like using drive screws vs. belts and pulleys made a lot of sense. I'm building it as a platform, so will be interested in feedback on new uses that you would want. Assuming it is successful, there is a lot of potential in the space, so it will be exciting times coming up.
Jon.buford is offline Find More Posts by Jon.buford
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:39 AM
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Jon,
I do have question for you; Does the Makibox have/come with a heated build platform?
Thanks,
Tom
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:00 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I'm just hoping it can use some sort of free software.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
Funding just hit 60% thanks to some feisty germans! The prototype is now working in 3 axes so progress is definitely being made.

MakiBox prototype Z Axis - First Moves (1 min 14 sec)
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:41 AM
Maker
Joined Feb 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadTom View Post
Jon,
I do have question for you; Does the Makibox have/come with a heated build platform?
Thanks,
Tom
Hi Tom,

Yes, I'm designing it to be heated and compatible with ABS printing.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:45 AM
Maker
Joined Feb 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
I'm just hoping it can use some sort of free software.
There is a pretty wide range of software. All the controller software is free and open. The software for creating new parts is pretty widely varied, as you can use anything that can output STL or can be converted into it.