Where do you get those spinners?
I think thet are included in the kit.
3171scott is offline Find More Posts by 3171scott
Old Dec 28, 2011, 05:20 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,161 Posts
Hi,

I have two kits here of RT Sirius Eleven and spinner is not included. If You want to have a spinner and as nice as on RT's own plane and use the recommended Hacker A10-15S You have to move the motor slightly back, see image.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Old Jan 10, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Nov 2011
5 Posts
CG-Data

Hi everyone!

NOTE: Robin told me there is a small but significant mistake in the manual. The CG-data in the instruction is wrong. With the CG which is given the plane is top-heavy, so you should move the CG a little bit forwards that the plane becomes a a little bit tail-heavy.

Robin recognize the right centre of gravity 205mm-210mm but we will post the right asap.
HotFlyAlex is offline Find More Posts by HotFlyAlex
Old Jan 10, 2012, 08:00 PM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
Does anyone have an unbuilt Super Serious??? I wanted one last seasion and never pulled the trigger, did not know that the models change so fast. Any info would be great.

Scott.
3171scott is offline Find More Posts by 3171scott
Old Jan 11, 2012, 02:12 AM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotFlyAlex View Post
Robin recognize the right centre of gravity 205mm-210mm but we will post the right asap.
Thanks for the heads up Alex. My plane is practically ready for maiden but I haven't flown it yet. I'll use a temporary method for battery mounting until I have the CG set to my tastes.

I actually thought that the CG in the Manual (225 mm from the nose) would result in a slightly nose heavy plane (due to the swept back wings) and Robin is suggesting to move it even further forward? OK, we'll see - I guess it is partially up to the personal preference as well. Robin is a F3A guy so he may like a foamie that flies like one of his bigger planes.

There's another teeny detail missing from the otherwise excellent build manual. See the attached image.
Finnspeed is online now Find More Posts by Finnspeed
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:00 PM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
900 Posts
Flight report

My Sirius Eleven flew today and my first impression is that it flies extremely well. It is not completely dialed up yet but getting there. The 225 mm CG is very close to the optimum in my opinion but it is a matter of taste and flying style. I would actually try to move it just a bit further back and not forward.

Now you have to pull a bit during level flight and push accordingly when inverted. This is the correct behavior for F3P but I might try how it feels if the need to work the elevator is minimized. I won't go all the way to 3D CG though.

Knife edge is very stable with a slight tendency to pull towards the cabin. I think this is either due to my elevator trim or the small fins that are attached to the ailerons generate enough lift to create this effect. This lift is not completely symmetric because the fins are on the underside of the ailerons only.

The air brakes seem to work very well too. Even with the 0843 RD propeller the downlines are nice and slow. I will try a 9" prop later to see if I can slow down even further.

I left some of the more decorative pieces of depron out to save weight. I also lightened the aileron and pull-pull horns, swapped the wheels to lighter ones and substituted some of the 1 mm carbon with 0.8 mm rods. The ESC was completely stripped down as well as the prop hub. I did not remove the RX cover piece which is only 0.5 grams nor did I replace any servo cabling or connectors. The final weight without battery is almost exactly 100 g. My lightest battery for this plane is 12.5 g (stripped down Zippy 180 mAh) and the heaviest 17 g (Dualsky 250 mAh) so the AUW will be 112.5 ... 117 g.

Equipment list:
- motor Emax GT 2203 (lightened prop saver screws)
- ESC Turnigy Plush 6A stripped down
- aileron servo Futaba S3114 with screws and bottom cover removed
- other servos 2 x Hitec HS35-HD in stock shape

I calculated that replacing the servo wiring and removing the RX cover & pins could have saved 5 - 6 grams more but I'm still a beginner as a pilot and thought that the current AUW will do fine for the next year or so.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined Nov 2011
5 Posts
Hi friends,

Robin sent me today a video of his new Sirius eleven with ContraRotatingSystem.
I was very impressed about the plane with that system. You should also know the video.
If you have any questions or improovements please eMail Robin.

HERE IS THE VIDEO!

Best regards
Alex
HotFlyAlex is offline Find More Posts by HotFlyAlex
Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:03 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotFlyAlex View Post
Hi friends,

Robin sent me today a video of his new Sirius eleven with ContraRotating System. ...
Hi Alex,

you can directly link youtube videos here:

RT Sirius eleven with ContraRotatingSystem (1 min 24 sec)
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:24 AM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
900 Posts
The Sirius Eleven helped me winning the second place in the Finnish F3P Championships Sport round in Iittala on Saturday. I have to say that the plane made a mediocre pilot look good and I found myself competing with Evaldas Cerniauskas for the win. Evaldas was flying a Donatas Design plane.

There's many good ideas in the design of this plane and the air brake arrangement is one of the best. They are efficient and don't seem to bring any bad effects unlike the old style brakes that typically attach to the outer part of the ailerons. IMO, those usually make the plane look sluggish in the air.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:17 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2007
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnspeed View Post
My Sirius Eleven flew today and my first impression is that it flies extremely well. It is not completely dialed up yet but getting there. The 225 mm CG is very close to the optimum in my opinion but it is a matter of taste and flying style. I would actually try to move it just a bit further back and not forward.

Now you have to pull a bit during level flight and push accordingly when inverted. This is the correct behavior for F3P but I might try how it feels if the need to work the elevator is minimized. I won't go all the way to 3D CG though.

Knife edge is very stable with a slight tendency to pull towards the cabin. I think this is either due to my elevator trim or the small fins that are attached to the ailerons generate enough lift to create this effect. This lift is not completely symmetric because the fins are on the underside of the ailerons only.
I had the chance to fly AC Glenn's Sirius the other day in the armory, and it flew very well. I noticed similar things to what you mentioned above, but I'm very confident a further aft CG would help. Try it if you get time and report back on what you notice it changing.

A further aft CG will make you carry more down elevator trim (or less up), which will help the pulling to the canopy issue while on knife edge. I also prefer a more neutral airplane for F3P (but not in larger precision models), so moving it back would help there too.

I haven't gotten to try AC's with a further aft CG, but I'm pretty confident it would help.

Overall great flying airplane!

Seth Arnold
3D-Seth is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 06, 2012, 04:09 PM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
900 Posts
I agree and will test moving the CG a bit more aft. I already noticed that most of the knife edge tendency towards cabin was my elevator trim.

I'm currently playing with some Glavak props. They are lighter and better fit to the motor that is now on the nose of my Sirius. The SG 9x2.8 works extremely well and weighs only some 2.4 g. I have also tested the SG 9x2.3 that works fine as well if you prefer slow flying style - I'm so new with F3P that I can't decide yet...

I also have some new 180 mAh batteries (11.5 g) that are about a gram lighter than the previous ones. The new prop and battery actually moved the CG a bit more back and the plane flew fine and stable. I'll check where the CG is with this equipment soon.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 04:24 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2007
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnspeed View Post
I agree and will test moving the CG a bit more aft. I already noticed that most of the knife edge tendency towards cabin was my elevator trim.

I'm currently playing with some Glavak props. They are lighter and better fit to the motor that is now on the nose of my Sirius. The SG 9x2.8 works extremely well and weighs only some 2.4 g. I have also tested the SG 9x2.3 that works fine as well if you prefer slow flying style - I'm so new with F3P that I can't decide yet...

I also have some new 180 mAh batteries (11.5 g) that are about a gram lighter than the previous ones. The new prop and battery actually moved the CG a bit more back and the plane flew fine and stable. I'll check where the CG is with this equipment soon.
I ran one of the Glavaks on my Osiris and liked it very much too. 2.5g versus the 4g GWS props is a nice benefit as well. Believe it was the 9x2.3 (wider bladed prop). Really, really liked it. I'll be flying a Glavak at ETOC on my pattern ship.

Seth
3D-Seth is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Site Sponsor
Old May 11, 2012, 09:02 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
I think I might have to place an order for one of these. I've been learning to fly this style with an EPP plane that's taken it's share of knocks in the beginning and I think I am ready to step up to a bit better airframe. What a great looking plane and my wife even says she likes it, and that's very rare. Lol.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:51 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
So I have a question for folks that may own this plane. I just had a kit come in and debating what to use for gear and wondering if these http://flyairhobbyrc.com/product/37g...-dualsky-servo would do for the servos. I just happen to have them laying around not in anything. I have motor and esc and props. Just debating on whether these servos will do the job. New to really setting up a f3p plane and will pick up other servos if need be. Thanks in advance. Beautiful airplane. Can't wait to get it put together.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien