HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:47 PM
Joined Sep 2011
2 Posts
Discussion
11 yrs old, want to build a SPAD, don't know where to start

I am 11 yrs old, and I want to build a SPAD.

I already have a JR9503, my dad and I just built a Gaui 330X quadrocopter together, and I want to build a SPAD by myself.

Don't really know where to start. Electric or gas?

Your input is greatly appreciated.
huntersimmons is offline Find More Posts by huntersimmons
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:53 PM
Joined Sep 2011
2 Posts
I really like the idea of a pizza box flyer because it looks easy and indestructible.
huntersimmons is offline Find More Posts by huntersimmons
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:33 PM
central CA
Joined Aug 2002
347 Posts
welcome to SPADS hunter. have you been to the spadworld.net site? thats were us spadders hang out.

the DPS is a really easy plane. not much glueing involved

check out these build videos, alot of good info
http://www.youtube.com/user/draftman3
draftman1 is offline Find More Posts by draftman1
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:56 PM
Envies his own avatar
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Apr 2008
578 Posts
Link to the suggested DPS:
http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/DasPlasStick/

Or a Pizza Box flyer:
http://www.spadtothebone.com/pizzabox.htm

Electric or gas? I'd say it depends on your experience with either/both. Or on your personal preferences. Either works fine.
rockyabq is offline Find More Posts by rockyabq
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:37 AM
Call me Frosty
Lawton, Oklahoma - USA
Joined Sep 2004
397 Posts
but remember the pizza box flyer is not an easy plane to fly for beginners.
TheRealFrosty is online now Find More Posts by TheRealFrosty
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:50 AM
central CA
Joined Aug 2002
347 Posts
amen to that! just like any of the other flat wing types of spads
draftman1 is offline Find More Posts by draftman1
Old Sep 19, 2011, 02:26 PM
United States, PA, Clearfield
Joined Jan 2007
409 Posts
I found the Spadet LC-40 a real easy plane to build and is an excellent trainer.Click on trainers on the blue bar and then on Spadet. http://www.spadtothebone.com/freeplans.htm
sleepwalker is offline Find More Posts by sleepwalker
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:59 PM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
884 Posts
Sloper

Don't overlook a glider for a beginner.
If you can find a suitable slope then you can fly for hours, no noise and mess, very cheap and with corro it is crash proof.
Lots of very simple one-evening projects out there including the Mugi, Beetle, DAzi, Swifter, right up to scale Mig7 (which can be powered to)...
Most are simple fold up flying wings and need the elevon mixing your transmitter has with elevator dialed down.
I made a Kfm2 Swifter out of a 3mm real estate sign in a couple of evenings at near zero cost recently and with a little careful C of G tweaking has a nice flat glide and low enough weight for medium wind sloping. No spar required, glues up quickly with contact adhesive, cut flute elevon hinges.
Rusty Nail is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Sep 25, 2011, 07:06 AM
I'm BIG on micros
R.M. of Peel, ON
Joined Mar 2011
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker View Post
I found the Spadet LC-40 a real easy plane to build and is an excellent trainer.Click on trainers on the blue bar and then on Spadet. http://www.spadtothebone.com/freeplans.htm
Well, I tried to build one but gave up because I was never able to get 2mm coro or the correct shape of gutter pipe.

My Dad suggested the BUHOR trainer or try a SPADSloper. I don't know what happened to their website, google it and you should be fine.

Good Luck!
JSS4 is offline Find More Posts by JSS4
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:01 AM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,061 Posts
I built a spadet my first spad it took me about 20hrs. It is alot harder than something like the debonair. After the spadet I built a deb and it took me an afternoon to build.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Oct 03, 2011, 07:14 AM
into the wild blue yonder
United States, OR, Dundee
Joined Dec 2010
633 Posts
go with the Spadet on spadtothebone....
Barney Boy is offline Find More Posts by Barney Boy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sky-Hero octo
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:04 PM
Jus Fly 4 Fun
Joined May 2009
128 Posts
The spadet is more work than many of the other ones, but it is well worth the effort. My dad's first spad was a spadet built with all 4mm coro and it flew great! It is also (like all spads) incredibly durable. There have hardly been any repairs needed on it after a few years of flying and training with many crashes. It is well worth the effort. spadtothebone.com will explain everything you need to know about building spads
Jus Wanna Fly is offline Find More Posts by Jus Wanna Fly
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:23 PM
ELECTRIC R/C
INNERKIP,ONTARIO,CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
352 Posts
want to build a SPAD, don't know where to start

Well I hope you have looked at SPADTOTHEBONE and the other threads like COMBAT where there are lots of Coro Planes and Plans. SPAD for me is "Scale Plastic Aircraft Design" for Scale WW2 Combat. These planes are tough and look cool too. They can be built quick and fly well with .25 engine and little cost. Here are some pics of the Combat Coro Planes from Southern Ontario.
Jsutherland8 is offline Find More Posts by Jsutherland8
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:48 AM
Somewhere near Parkville, Mo.
Joined May 2004
140 Posts
For limited building experience, the Debonair is the way to go. However, if you can't get the square PVC, and we know you can if you can get to your local Home Depot but sometimes 60 bucks of tubing showing up when you need 2 bucks of it is a little steep, Swap out Debonair fuse with a Buhor fuse. Swap out tail and wing, remember to set the wing on the fuse so that the CG of the whole ensemble matches where the Debonair wing sits as the cg is important to the wing not the fuse.
That being said, I generally like to see novices build the plane AS DESIGNED before venturing out on their own. If you have any experience flying airplanes or better yet, soloed, just build a BUHOR. The Only thing we're going for on the Debonair is the dihedral of the wing and it's stabilizing effect.

2 mil can be ordered by calling, not using online computer, the folks at Harborsales.com. Online calculator alwasy screws the shipping up. Pay attention to the way you need the flutes to go. If your are ordering, have them cut a sheet of 2 mil into 4 blanks, 2x4 with the flutes traveling along the 2 foot section.

If you are not a soloed and accomplished sport pilot none of the flat wing planes, SPA3D, 3DT, Pizza box, whatever, are not for you. These take skill levels between aircraft and Helicopter to fly. Helicopter and better skills to fly like Dave McDonald AND a lot of practice. They only look indestructible, believe me, you can tear one up in the first flight. Especially as you have none of the pilot skills which must be trained to reflexes to work correctly. I'm an average sport pilot with a little more practice then most and I can't get the darn things to fly right. Doesn't stop me from trying. But I KNOW where I screwed up before and during the crash, I'm just incapable of stopping it.

Debonair or BUHOR. If you can get 2 mil in, we can build a better wing for both of them. Lighter, it will fly better.
MrClean is offline Find More Posts by MrClean