HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2011, 01:42 AM
Youngstown, Ohio
Joined Jan 2011
56 Posts
Discussion
USCG 82' Point Class Cutters

Here is my current work in progress that I have been working on for the past several years;. It all started with a Microglass hull

power is 2 MACK #1885 motors

The Point Young in action

These boats have all sorts of possibilities, I chose to do mine up in her battle configuration. I know there are others around here, let's see 'em!
PointBoat is offline Find More Posts by PointBoat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2011, 02:02 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,028 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread! They are neat boats My hull is still bare, white gelcoat...
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jan 26, 2011, 02:11 AM
Youngstown, Ohio
Joined Jan 2011
56 Posts
Put up a pic! I forgot what mine looked like
Old Jan 26, 2011, 02:54 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,028 Posts
Just waiting its turn to be built!

Your choice of MACK 1885 motors looks like a good call! Are you running them direct or though gearboxs?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 03:06 AM
Youngstown, Ohio
Joined Jan 2011
56 Posts
Running them direct for now, had them hooked to a 9.2 volt battery out of a nikko CG boat when I was testing them out, but need more juice. am going to eventually go with 12v, they seem to run better on 12v. Haven'nt even connected proper dog bones yet. currently have the motors hooked to the shafts with parts of left over oxygen tubing (I'm an EMT and nurse by trade). Thanks for posting that pic, now I remember what it looked like before I started.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 03:13 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointBoat View Post
...now I remember what it looked like before I started.
They're nice hulls, for sure! Thanks for the info about the motors. Have you had your boat on a scale? I'm thinking this model will have a light target weight.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 03:22 AM
Youngstown, Ohio
Joined Jan 2011
56 Posts
Not yet, but with this size of hull, I have attempted to keep things as light as possible. mostly used balsa with the decking and superstructure and sealed it with poly resin and very light fiberglass cloth. with hindsight being 20/20, I should have used ABS (hence the extensive refit planned). I'm trying to keep as much weight as low in the hull as posible, as I plan to put an SLA battery in it for power.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 07:47 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,811 Posts
just remember that the real boats rolled badly.. two guys pulling on the mooring lines could get on these ships taking 25 degree rolls at the dock(we used to do that to new watch standers)having painted almost every surface on one these(82359 Pt. Steele) over a two year period I can give some help for the 1980s configuration. (I never took pictures of my own ship back then, damn)
tghsmith is online now Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Jan 26, 2011, 08:09 AM
Youngstown, Ohio
Joined Jan 2011
56 Posts
Thanks fo the tip tgh, always good to hear from somebody that served on one of these. I did notice it does have a pretty good roll to it when I was testing it in the pool,was thinking of putting an epoxy/birdshot mix in the keel channel if I have room for some extra ballast.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 08:41 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,370 Posts
Hey this thread has given me an idea for my 1/82 Lindberg 95' Cape class Coastie! in 1/72 the Lindberg Cape class hull works out at about 83' I can convert her 2 a Point class (new super structure and add slightly raised foredeck) and she will be properly in scale!! The slight difference in hull length being virtually unnoticeable at such a small size!! And their hull shapes R very similar...

Bruce
HeavyCruser9 is offline Find More Posts by HeavyCruser9
Old Jan 26, 2011, 09:38 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,811 Posts
you might get away with it, but might be just as easy to carve out a hull . one big feature that I have not seen on many models is the stern exguast tubes, besides coating the stearn in soot, they had a massive stream of cooling water while underway. I,ve though long and hard about modeling the steele, still thinking if I should put all the hull dents in from when we were the third last ship out of the saint lawrence seaway before it closed for the winter, we spent several days playing icebreaker.. not good for the 3/16th inch plate on the hull...-20 degrees F in montreal, the radar greabox froze solid!!!
tghsmith is online now Find More Posts by tghsmith
Last edited by tghsmith; Jan 26, 2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:08 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,069 Posts
Could you use a helicopeter gyro to counteract the rolling?
Has anyone ever gone there?
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:25 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,248 Posts
tghsmith: I heard the story about the Point Lookout, donít know if any of its true. Apparently she went into dry dock for repairs at a shipyard in South Louisiana. While on the gantry the yard went on strike. It took so long to settle the dispute some of the frames on the Point Lookout rusted to the point it was deemed too costly to repair and retired. Last I heard it was taken up to the northeast and sunk as a reef.
Rmay is offline Find More Posts by Rmay
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:08 AM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Morris View Post
Could you use a helicopeter gyro to counteract the rolling?
Has anyone ever gone there?
Similar discussions pop up on the submarine forums. The helo gyro won't work in this case because there is no control surface (fin stabilizer) to counteract the roll. The gyro needs to be connected to some sort of control surface to work.

I know of at least one person who tried a submarine pitch controller on the fin stabilizers of an FFG model; it didn't work well at all.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob