HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:06 PM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Jun 2004
344 Posts
Birger,

I have tried two different SD Cards, both 2 Gigs, one SanDisk, the other a PNY.

As far as "TX" and "Card" on the disply in model select, I have neither one.

Warm Regards,

Travis
Pilot232 is online now Find More Posts by Pilot232
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:16 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot232 View Post
Birger,

I have tried two different SD Cards, both 2 Gigs, one SanDisk, the other a PNY.

As far as "TX" and "Card" on the disply in model select, I have neither one.

Warm Regards,

Travis
Yeah, I run a SanDisk, it's an old one that came out of an old camer but it is 2 GB. I also believe that other people have gotten the PNY to work. If I were a betting man (and I'm not) I would bet on at least one of those two being compatible but you never know.

The only other suggestion would be if someone at your club has an 8FG with a working card to try their card in your radio to check the reader. If this is impractical then I would just contact Futaba Support over the phone, see what recommendations they have.

Regards,

- Birger
bdelapen is online now Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:22 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,330 Posts
This may help......

simages is offline Find More Posts by simages
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:49 PM
Joined Jun 2004
344 Posts
Many thanks for your help. I will contact Futaba Support Monday and see what they have to say. This will be my first experience with Futaba Support.

Wish me luck!!!!

Warm Regards,

Travis
Last edited by Pilot232; Oct 06, 2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:05 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot232 View Post
Yes to all questions. Should the SD symbol be on the home screen if an SD card is inserted inthe Transmitter?

Warm Regards,

Travis

Yes the SD card symbol will be on home screen if the card is formatted, inserted correctly and compatible.

The SD symbol on the home screen DOES NOT INDICATE THE ORIENTATION OF THE CARD IN THE READER. The card is inserted PINS UP. If you follow the SD card symbole it will be inserted pins down and that would make the card unreadable.

NOTE TO FUTABA: Please change the SD card symbole to indicate the orientation of the card.
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Jun 2004
344 Posts
Since I will be using Futaba service for the first time in 35+ years, What can I expect? I am obviously hoping for a good experience.
Also, is there any thing in the radio's software that would prevent it from looking for the SD card? Any help would be appreciated.

Warm Regards,

Travis
Last edited by Pilot232; Oct 07, 2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:51 PM
Registered RC flier
Suomi, HKI
Joined May 2011
21 Posts
Hi,

I had a similar issue, I got even the symbol on the screen but when tried to copy models to card, it was not possible to select the card.

Then I realized that the radion did not even asked that would I like to format the card. Tried other one, that did not worked either.

And yes strugling which way to install it also :-D

Then I bought totaly a new card, and, hooah!

I think it is very sensitive for what kind of card you are using.

Was also a bit hard to find a 2Gb cards these days :-D
Nax70 is offline Find More Posts by Nax70
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:37 AM
Malaysia
Joined Feb 2012
336 Posts
I've been struggling to find a compatible card to be used with Futaba t8fg as well..
They should do something and get rid of this card compatibility issue..
It's like having a radio of the 90's that isn't compatible with newer generation memory cards..
neato4u is offline Find More Posts by neato4u
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:44 AM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,595 Posts
I flew with the 8FG for the first time this weekend (and really like it!) but have an issue no one was able to resolve in the field and two other separate RCG threads (so hopefully this is the right place)...
Before that tough, another question to help a buddy. He saw my 8FG this weekend and wants one too (his 7CH died so he is using his older 6CH). He has plenty of Rx tough and I saw ServoCity has an option to buy just the Tx.
You think it is OK to buy just the 8FG from them? When you click on on-line dealers on the Futaba site it only takes you straight to Tower (so I am not sure if they are "authorized")....

Thanks!
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:00 AM
Sadorus, IL
Joined Mar 2004
597 Posts
A couple of things about the SD card. First it must be a standard, 2 gig or less card. It cannot be an SDHC card. Also it should not be speed classed.

Make sure the write protect lever is not in the lock position, also make sure it is not sliding to the lock position when you insert it. I had one that did this at an event and drove me nuts. I finally cut a tiny piece of tape to hold it in place.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Skaluf is offline Find More Posts by Skaluf
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:02 AM
Sadorus, IL
Joined Mar 2004
597 Posts
They simply strip the receivers out of complete systems and sell the components separately. They are an authorized dealer.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
I flew with the 8FG for the first time this weekend (and really like it!) but have an issue no one was able to resolve in the field and two other separate RCG threads (so hopefully this is the right place)...
Before that tough, another question to help a buddy. He saw my 8FG this weekend and wants one too (his 7CH died so he is using his older 6CH). He has plenty of Rx tough and I saw ServoCity has an option to buy just the Tx.
You think it is OK to buy just the 8FG from them? When you click on on-line dealers on the Futaba site it only takes you straight to Tower (so I am not sure if they are "authorized")....

Thanks!
Skaluf is offline Find More Posts by Skaluf
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:22 AM
Joined Jun 2004
344 Posts
Steve,

I have tried 3 different SD cards an I still can't get a format. ( spent $45.00) Is there a phone number Where I can reach you. Please pm me.

Warm Regards,

Travis
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:27 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaluf View Post
They simply strip the receivers out of complete systems and sell the components separately. They are an authorized dealer.

Steve
Perfect! That is the only thing I need to know....Thanks...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:42 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,595 Posts
Ok, so onto the issue... it relate to setting up a throttle kill switch for electric.

Background:
The very first thing I have done when setting up the new plane is program a throttle kill switch as per the instructions. I then proceeded to set the rest of the Plane (expo, throws, D/R, etc'). At the end of it though I ended up with a non working throttle kill switch. Unfortunately, being new to Futaba I couldn't tell you all the steps I did (but its along the lines of traversing every option the radio has to verify or change it).

Some additional info:

- This has nothing to do with the Planes themselves (ESC etc') I flew with the 8FG this weekend and everything was perfect. This is something on the Tx Programming side. The 8FG software is v5.

- The Model type is correct (i.e. airplane)

- I selected SF as the throttle cut switch. When selecting SF, and switching it, the position is changing from on to off (as it should).

- However, back in the throttle cut screen after the switch is selected, moving the switch doesn't change the value to on.

- In addition, trying to activate it by selecting ACT only shows OFF or INH. Either one of those doesn't reflect the changed value of the assigned switched.

- I tried different combinations: Assigning different SF positions the on or off values. Turning the Tx on and off in different position values.

- Finally, moving the throttle (J3) doesn't show the throttle position on the throttle cut screen (which is odd). The throttle cut screen basically completely ignores the throttle position and the assigned switch.

Hopefully this makes sense and sufficient amount of details.
Any ideas what it may be or what I should do? it was fine when I first started programming but obviously I messed something up...

Thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:57 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,202 Posts
You need to go to the function screen and change the throttle function to motor function. This will give you throttle lock for an electric motor, rather than the throttle kill function for an IC engine.

Steve K. They really should have the motor/engine power type choice in the new model setup template in a future software update
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2