SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 20, 2005, 09:55 AM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,442 Posts
Nikon 7900 test church shots

Yesterday was one of those crisp clear winter days so I took the opportunity to test my new Nikon 7900. My location was this church close to my home town and stands out very well in the low winter sun. The aircraft used was the Bar-stool Kite-e Plane.

A bit of history:
The Church of St. Mary in Sompting is one of the most striking examples of Anglo-Saxon architecture in England. Its primary distinguishing feature is the Rhenish Helm or Rhineland Helmet of the tower. This is the only known example of this style with roots in the Anglo-Saxon period.

The date of construction is not known, probably around 960AD, the church was mentioned in the Domesday Book compiled under the direction of William the Conqueror in 1086. By 1154 the church had been granted to the Order of the Temple of Solomon in Jerusalem, more commonly known as the Knights Templar
The Knights Templar rebuilt the nave and chancel on the original Saxon plan. They also added the present north and south transepts in about 1180.

Gray.
Gray is offline Find More Posts by Gray
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:14 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,230 Posts
Gorgeous.

Great to post a ground shot too - makes you realise what it must be like from up there! Do you have any dislikes of the 7900?

Thanks for sharing mate and I look forward to seeing this ship next Tuesday!
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:27 AM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,442 Posts
Hi Hogster, I am still finding my way with this camera but first impressions are very good, easy to use and a fantastic resolution. I also like the sport spectator mode for sequential shots.
I am concerned in that a few pictures are blurred but no too many to worry about, this may be my camera mount.

Looking forward to the 27th so fingers crossed for good weather,

Gray
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:53 AM
Joined Sep 2002
2,098 Posts
Excellent photos - both quality and subject! Thanks so much for posting.

My mind has difficulty dealing with that date... nevermind that the church is that old. In the US, buildings that are 200 years old are old.

Is the church within a town different from the one in the photo background?

Thanks,

SG
sierra-gold is offline Find More Posts by sierra-gold
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:57 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,230 Posts
Mmm, just curious as it's quite similar to my Casio. I am very impressed with the 7900 but at the time it just didn't seem like it had as many features as the Casio. However, the Casio does use the inferior Pentax lens system as opposed to the Nikon's superior Zoom Nikkor lens .... ah well, live and learn.

Dave

PS. Make sure you keep your 7900 close to you at all times on the 27th
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:44 AM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,442 Posts
Hi SG,

The building in the background I think your referring to is in fact a school building; I just love these old buildings and history associated with them. This is one of the reasons I like to share with you all especially in the US.

David, Hands off my camera it’s my new toy…..
Old Dec 20, 2005, 01:20 PM
Dingwall, Ross-shire, Scotland
Joined Nov 2000
243 Posts
Hi Gray,

Super sharp photos and a stunning subject. I'll be getting my 7900 in the next few days and my EZ* won't be long behind I also intend to build a Barstool E-kite soon. Can't wait to get going. Look forward to seeing more from your 7900.

Cheers

Steve
Sierra Golf Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sierra Golf Mike
Old Dec 20, 2005, 02:59 PM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,442 Posts
Thanks Steve, you will not be disappointed with that combination of models/camera. Your part of the world must be a haven for AP! Will look forward to your results, If you require any info on the Kite-plane feel free to PM me with any questions.

Gray.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 03:05 PM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Hi Gray,

The church you've depicted in these shots stand out very nicely, but I must admit I myself would love to see a closer look at that school in the background. Such wonderful architecture!

-Roger
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Old Dec 20, 2005, 03:23 PM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,442 Posts
This is the best I can do for now Roger, will have to make this an AP target for the future.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 03:51 PM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Wayy cool there Gray...I see that you come prepared for requests!

I just realized, looking at the pictures of the church, someone had to put roofing material on that steeeeeep pitched roof on the tower! That would not be fun in my book...no sirree!

Thanks for the added piccys, that school definitely begs for an A.P. sortie of it's own.

-Roger
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Old Dec 20, 2005, 05:13 PM
Farnborough, Hampshire, England.
Joined Jan 2002
2,133 Posts
Nice one Gray..........the 7900 looks very promising, no doubt with your skill and enthusiasm the results will be very pleasing .......for us all!

I like the low shots........take out the cricket site screen, and maybe the pool, and it could be taken by a high speed PRU Spit(maybe) on a pre-raid recce for, say the Brunaval adventure 1942-43.

BTW, My Dad finished his time in the RAF, based at RAF Benson (Oxfordshire) working on the High speed PRU aircraft.........what a great shame he did'nt add some of their many superb AP pictures to his private collection!

ian
farnboro flyer is offline Find More Posts by farnboro flyer
Old Dec 20, 2005, 05:41 PM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,442 Posts
Thanks Ian,
I hope to meet up with you on the 27th

Grahame.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 06:03 PM
Dingwall, Ross-shire, Scotland
Joined Nov 2000
243 Posts
Gray,

I certainly won't be short of locations to take photos once I get a bit of practice in, Just need the weather!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve
Sierra Golf Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sierra Golf Mike
Old Dec 20, 2005, 06:21 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,745 Posts
Gray:

And at weddings, I'll bet it's
"Sompting old, sompting new, sompting abbots, sompting blue"

Sorry. Couln't resist.

howell-the-colonial.
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh