SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:48 PM
wishing for Tomcat...
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined Jun 2009
753 Posts
Nice hangar, looks like an aviation museum .
turbinefancy is offline Find More Posts by turbinefancy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2014, 07:47 PM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
2,334 Posts
Dambit....You do present your planes well...I have the TopRC 190..not as detailed "stock" but can be "tarted" up...I have had "Dora" in my Bixler..lol

Im keen to know more about the mechanics of the bigger props.....Would I be correct in saying that the bigger prop is like an "overdrive"(6th gear) in a car..Im thinking that it would reduce the revs on the motor.???
agedflier is offline Find More Posts by agedflier
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:08 AM
wishing for Tomcat...
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined Jun 2009
753 Posts
If I may offer my opinion on automobile analogy to props:
Bigger props is like bigger wheels-need higher torque engine/motor to move efficiently.
Steeper (higher) pitch is like higher gear
Ie. 14x6 is like 1st gear- quick get up, steep climb, 3D hover
14x14 is like 6th gear for top end speed, pylon racers, stalls at low speed.
turbinefancy is offline Find More Posts by turbinefancy
Last edited by turbinefancy; Apr 26, 2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 04:04 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
4,062 Posts
Yeah that's about it.

Since my last post I have had a good look at the pitch of my propeller and have now come to the conclusion that it is a 16x12 and not a 16x9 like I originally thought. It's difficult to calculate a paddle prop due to the much larger surface area.

The propeller I have made is modeled from the real prop, and the real plane was designed to be a high speed climb, high altitude interceptor, so because of this it has a paddle props with a huge blade area and naturally high pitch, but unlike the real plane I can't adjust that for varying flying conditions.

Because of the high pitch and large surface area of the prop blades, I have opted for a lowish KV motor with lots of torque (not the most accurate analogy, but it fits). I can get away with a low KV motor because the wide paddle type blades move so much air compared to the standard thin types and therefore don't require a high rpm. I also run this on 4s and not 5s like this motor normally would be run on because I have designed the blades for a max RPM of around 6,500.

8,584 rpm (580kv stock motor on 4s)

6,216 rpm (G46 420kv on 4s)

But these numbers are theoretical maximums, and because of efficiency losses and power loading issues, the actual RPMs reached are a good margin below these figures.

Now, I'm honestly open to all the 'advice' and 'suggestions' regarding propeller theory and design from the armchair engineers out there ,but remember, I am not theorizing here, I have built these and this is some of what I know based on actual flights etc.

Cheers,

Steve

Sorry to go so far off topic
dambit is online now Find More Posts by dambit
Old Apr 30, 2014, 04:53 AM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
2,334 Posts
Steve....Not off topic if your trying to make a prop that will work better than stock..I hope there are people out there with more info.
agedflier is offline Find More Posts by agedflier
Old May 11, 2014, 02:35 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bury St Edmunds
Joined Jul 2013
12 Posts
I've just ordered a 1700 Corsair and am really looking forward to it getting here. I've ordered the grey one as I already have a blue PZ corsair.
Spares seem pretty thin on the ground? Any good spares stockists in the UK?
porkster is offline Find More Posts by porkster
Old May 11, 2014, 02:55 PM
The Shetland Flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Lerwick
Joined Jun 2008
614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkster View Post
I've just ordered a 1700 Corsair and am really looking forward to it getting here. I've ordered the grey one as I already have a blue PZ corsair.
Spares seem pretty thin on the ground? Any good spares stockists in the UK?
Wheelspin Models and Apex Models both keep quite a good range, but some of the stuff can be on lengthy backorder. I tend to get all my FMS 1700mm spares from Raymond at RC Castle. It ships from Hong Kong but takes just a few days to get here - even to Shetland!

Cheers,

Rory
RoryG is online now Find More Posts by RoryG
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Vulcan Mantis 900 Hexa
Old May 11, 2014, 04:41 PM
Joined Jul 2013
12 Posts
Great stuff! Thanks Rory
Old May 11, 2014, 07:15 PM
United States, CA, Yorba Linda
Joined Mar 2013
281 Posts
Porkster- your going to love the corsair. It flies so nice
YLFlyer is online now Find More Posts by YLFlyer
Old May 15, 2014, 05:06 PM
Joined Jul 2013
12 Posts
I would have done, I had my order cancelled, no stock and none expected?? Pretty annoyed
Old Jul 06, 2014, 06:30 PM
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Jan 2008
1,596 Posts
+1 on the need for a Spitfire

By the way my Sea gull models sea fury is fitted out totally with FMS 1700mm parts. Retracrts, tail retract motor, prop, spinner, and servo's.
One servo was jitterey and had to be replaced and one retract needed to be replaced as it failed to operate.
But all in all for the price the parts are well done.
Lexta is online now Find More Posts by Lexta
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lexta; Jul 06, 2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2014, 09:00 PM
From the Ashes...
United States, AL, Athens
Joined Jun 2013
88 Posts
Hello FMS,

I also enthusiastically cast my vote for a 1700mm Spitfire. Or any Battle of Britain warbird, British or German!

However, I am also waiting for the USA distribution network to restock the Corsair.... I already have the P-47 and P-51.... Love 'em!

The world needs more 1700mm series warbirds to choose from, and a more robust supply chain, to keep up with demand.

I wonder how many sales have been lost because of insufficient inventory?
55TBird is online now Find More Posts by 55TBird
Old Jul 06, 2014, 10:21 PM
La Habra, California
Joined May 2004
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon6g View Post
Anyone upgraded the motor on these? I have the 1450mm p51. I run that with a 5-S and the prop mod and its flyes great. Now I have a 1700mm P47 on the way and I just wondering is anyone running a good motor upgrade? I would like to use the Stock 4 blade prop but what ever is fine.
Oh also,, Can you do the same prop mod to the P47 and I had done with my 1400mm P51?
Thank guys
I am flying the 1700 f4u with 8s 5000 mah and a Hacker 24 pole motor at 2300 watts. With a apc 18x12 she will do 104 mph level and unlimited vertical. Wings are strong enough if extra spars are added and packing tape on the bottom. You have to be careful with outside loops. Never had any flutter. Paint the prop black and add decals so it looks almost as good as a 4 blade. Your p-47 is lighter so it should go even faster.
paracanary is offline Find More Posts by paracanary
Old Jul 07, 2014, 08:26 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,790 Posts
Great thread.... Glad FMS is on board and listening to their fans. Good stuff here.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Jul 07, 2014, 10:27 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Would also LOVE LOVE LOVE a 1700 Stuka and BF-109!
I want to add a +1 to the Stuka....and Winter Camo please.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1