HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:36 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE Spin View Post
I have to disagree with you here. On the first 180 degree roll into knife edge, what you say works...However, if you roll another 180 degrees in the same direction then opposite rudder puts you into the ground. The method that I outlined above really does work and speeds the transition to flying visually and not having to think about moving the sticks.

BTW, Thintz..Excellent tip!!
Well duh, of course, but if you are LEARNING Knife Edge flight, you are rolling from upright not from inverted. A roll from upright is the first step to learning KE, get that down and THEN work on the 3rd part of a 4 point roll. I'm just offering an easy way to learn to do a KE that's all.
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2013, 01:01 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
I'm not so sure when these threads became a less than friendly place to those offering sound and proven advice.

For those who have an open mind, give what I have mentioned a try and you will quickly progress through point rolls, ke, ke catches and you will greatly reduce the time that it takes to master the rolling circle. The rolling circle? Yes, because you can look at the rolling circle as a continual roll from ke to ke with only minor corrections to change from flying a straight line into a circle. So, there really is a method to the madness and I had your continued growth and development in mind the whole time.

Enjoy your flying.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Last edited by KE Spin; Apr 13, 2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 09:06 AM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,477 Posts
I struggle with the "tricks" too, have found myself more of the stick time sort - even if it's one of the baby helis (go MCPX!). The earlier comment regarding constant rudder input required to fly a heli right on - but I would add so are throttle (collective), aileron and elevator inputs! Much more entertaining to me than a sim... For me, though my fist love is airplanes, flying the heli is time spent towards not having to think about that radio in my hands - allowing me much more time to think when in the air.... That's me though, FWIW. -Al
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Apr 15, 2013, 03:46 AM
Sydney Kingsford, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
203 Posts
Hey Guys,

As always guys thanks for the advice and consul. KE Spin I have a question for you,

"Here's a little trick:

When ke flying left to right or right to left...if you see the canopy... push rudder toward the tail

When ke flying left to right or right to left...if you see the belly...push rudder toward the nose "

My friend this is probably a fantastically dumb question but what do you mean? Sorry if I sound like an idiot.

Many thanks

Danny
Dan the man is offline Find More Posts by Dan the man
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:43 PM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,447 Posts
Dan, If you are flying across the a field from left to right >>>>> ...A right aileron turn of 1/4 should put the canopy facing directly at you (the right wing straight down) and in this case the correct rudder input to keep the nose up would be left (or towards the tail of the airplane).

So basically if you can see the canopy (with either wing facing down) the correct rudder input is towards the tail of the plane. This part goes without saying (but think about it for a minute)....if you continue KE and give down elevator (and turn the plane around in a flat circle but still in KE) you will see the bottom of the plane with the same rudder input but now it will be towards the front of the plane because you have turned! Hope this makes sense.

Another thing that really helped me when I started learning this a few years ago (and this sounds really, really stupid) make sure you can fly inverted fast, slow, high and low without even thinking about the fact that you are giving down input to keep the plane flying. If you still have to think about flying inverted or have reservations about it, you need to just fly entire flights inverted until your hands just do what your eyes see! Sounds elementary right?

Again, this sounds stupid but trust me. The reason why you need to be able to do this is because you are going to dumb thumb your inputs from time to time. That is for sure, it will happen. If you are comfortable flying inverted and don't have to think about it, you have a much better chance of saving your plane when you do. Ask me how I know!

The reason I bring this up is that I see guys at my field watching me fly and they want to know how I am doing KE and other things but they are not really comfortable with other basic skills yet! No biggie really, I still love to help them as I didn't have anyone with me when I was learning. It really is a progression and as some have stated above RF G6.5 is the bomb.

tommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the man View Post
Hey Guys,

As always guys thanks for the advice and consul. KE Spin I have a question for you,

"Here's a little trick:

When ke flying left to right or right to left...if you see the canopy... push rudder toward the tail

When ke flying left to right or right to left...if you see the belly...push rudder toward the nose "

My friend this is probably a fantastically dumb question but what do you mean? Sorry if I sound like an idiot.

Many thanks

Danny
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:42 PM
Sydney Kingsford, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
203 Posts
Tommy,

Thank you sir - you are a good kind man! I also agree with you. I bought Real Flight 6 a couple of months a go and it's been worth every cent.

All the Best

Danny
Dan the man is offline Find More Posts by Dan the man
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:42 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Tdab,

Very nice explanation. :-)

What you will find is that learning ke this way will move focus away from the sticks and your reactions will be based on what you see the plane doing.

Other methods are too stick focused with too little attention on the plane or these other methods set up too many rules to remember easily.

For example: I'm flying from the left right straight and level, rolling to the right so I push the rudder to the left. Not too bad thus far but...Add that to, remembering the reverse when flying in the other direction or rolling left rather than right in either of the two directions down the runway.

Ulitmately, It is just so much easier to push the rudder stick to the tail or the nose based on seeing the canopy or the underside of the plane. It works either way (up or down the runway), rolling either way (to the left or right) and there is just so little to remember that you can't help but learn faster.

Enjoy your flying guys.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Last edited by KE Spin; Apr 16, 2013 at 06:25 AM.