SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:03 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percivale View Post
I have no experience on this Easy Trainer 800. Have you tried up-rating the motor/ESC to go for some inverted flying? How about a tight figure 8, loops and rolls? As for the next step, there are plenty of options!
The FMS Easy Trainer 800 is fully aerobatic in stock configuration, hence, it is not advisable for a first airplane as it's very responsive. The only upgrade it really needs is a better prop such as a couple of us had done by modifying a GWS prop.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:07 AM
Joined Mar 2012
59 Posts
what batteries and flight times you guys getting? thing looks like it could take a 1000mah
cram is offline Find More Posts by cram
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:15 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cram View Post
what batteries and flight times you guys getting? thing looks like it could take a 1000mah

The included stock lipo is 350 mah, and it balances the model perfectly with this size pack as designed, flight times varies with flight style, but I easily get 5-7 minutes of aggressive aerobatic flight per pack, with plenty left.

I have a handful of these for my FMS 800 which is a perfect match:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=20654
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:41 AM
Joined Mar 2012
59 Posts
Ah. Thanks doubleT. All your info on these pushers has been a huge help. Nice to have things narrowed well ahead of time. (I'm going to push my luck on batt sizes since I'm a bit the flight time whore. That and lights..
cram is offline Find More Posts by cram
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:47 PM
Faster is Better
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2012
465 Posts
I've been running 450 mah in mine... and get about 10 minutes of mixed-to-high throttle fun flying out of them. If I'm in the mood to climb-and-soar... 15 minutes. I needed to melt just a fraction of an inch up in the nose-tip to make room for the 450's... very minor. Also, no significant change in CG... just a few clicks different in elevator trim.
OldeMan is offline Find More Posts by OldeMan
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:11 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
ALERT!! FMS 800 ON SALE RIGHT NOW FOR Black Friday

FMS Easy Trainer 800 RTF is On Sale Right Now for $65.90 at Banana Hobby for Pre Black Friday Sale, this is a smokin' deal! & still in-stock at the moment!

http://www.bananahobby.com/easy-trai...5360-prd1.html
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:34 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Oct 2012
185 Posts
HEY GUYS!
I wanted to jump in here, I have this Easy trainer 800 and im a new pilot,
Im having motor problems with mine! It flew fine for 3 flights with no crashes. then the motor started sounding like crap when it spins up but I flew it any way thinking it was just me being anal. I could tell right away that it seemed slugesh. I brought it down fine. Then when i tried to throttle up again the motor wouldnt spin up and acted as if it was jammed. it kinda spits and spurts but will not spin up any more. if you fool with the other controls for a sec then try again to throttle up it hesitates and spits then spins up, but i dont trust it enough to launch it at this point. Any ideas whats wrong with it? I have an email in to the tech dept at BH but im sure you guys know thats a crap shoot on if i get any help or even a response. Even then Im doughtful they will replace the bad parts what ever they may be.
BUT HERES THE KICKER! have you guys checked the parts page for this model? NO MOTOR, NO ESC, NO WING, NO FUSE, just some glue, tx/rx, batt, prop and alligator clips! basically you might aswell just buy a new plane to get the parts you want or need. BUT IS THIS PLANE WORTH THAT? what do you guys think?
solodare is offline Find More Posts by solodare
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:01 AM
Faster is Better
Joined Jul 2012
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solodare View Post
HEY GUYS!
I wanted to jump in here, I have this Easy trainer 800 and im a new pilot,
Im having motor problems with mine! ...
Yeah... mine died too... after a month or so of weekend use. In my case, I'd crashed my plane a few times already... and couldn't, in good conscience, make a customer service claim. Disappointing, certainly, but replacements are cheap.

My first reaction was to buy a Hacker motor (I forget the numbers) and a new prop (GWS 5043, cut down to 3" to clear the tail boom). The combo required minor surgery to install, but was noticeably better than the stock setup. Later, after some calculations, I discovered that the Hacker motor wasn't a particularly good fit for this plane... and it was the prop that made the combination work as well as it was. So I ordered a replacement for the original motor, installed that with my modified prop, and my plane is flying better than ever.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8479

Enjoy!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:51 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Oct 2012
185 Posts
oldeman,
Thanks for the lead on the motor! will my prop work with that?
solodare is offline Find More Posts by solodare
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:16 PM
Faster is Better
Joined Jul 2012
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solodare View Post
oldeman,
Thanks for the lead on the motor! will my prop work with that?
Sure. Same motor/shaft as the stock motor. You can keep your plane's current motor mount and prop/adapter. Just plug in the replacement motor.

Ah... I forgot... it's not quite that simple: You'll notice, in HK's picture of the replacement motor, that the motor leads have no connectors on them... just bare-ended wires. You'll need to solder the connectors from the dead engine onto the new one. (Hopefully, a little soldering won't stop you.)

I encourage you to upgrade the prop, however, as described earlier. Hard to imagine a cheaper performance boost.

--

For the record: I was worried about my replacement motor dying quickly also. But it's still going strong after many many flights. It's been a great plane, overall.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:53 PM
United States, IL, La Grange Park
Joined May 2012
194 Posts
This plane has become my steady weekend flyer because it can handle some wind and still get around OK. When it is windy I mostly just do normal flying but this weekend we had weird warm weather and very little wind so I got to do more experiments with what the plane can do. Loops, inverse loops, inverted flying and whatever else seems to happen accidentally. Pretty fun plane.
ad skyraider is offline Find More Posts by ad skyraider
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:41 PM
Faster is Better
Joined Jul 2012
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad skyraider View Post
... this weekend ... I got to do more experiments with what the plane can do. Loops, inverse loops, inverted flying and whatever else seems to happen accidentally. Pretty fun plane.
Agreed! When it comes to loops, rolls, inverted flying, etc... I've actually learned quite a bit from this plane's mild power. I feel like it's taught me some energy management tricks that a more powerful plane would have allowed me to ignore. Heaven knows I've learned a lot about stall/recovery characteristics from trying to pull maneuvers that I hadn't set up for properly! With a little practice, this thing is really agile.

I bought a Dynamic-S about a month ago (which is awesome), and have just ordered a Spirit Mini Sport to retire my Easy Trainer 800. Both purchases are intended to take me up a notch in speed and power, and I'm looking forward to more learning. But I have to say: This ET800 has been a terrific trainer. Very glad I bought it.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:53 PM
Willits CA
Joined Mar 2006
6 Posts
just got one of these myself, first rc plane.

will get some sim time before flying in the spring.

thanks for the tips.

what is the stock prop specs?
sleez is offline Find More Posts by sleez
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:16 PM
Faster is Better
Joined Jul 2012
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleez View Post
what is the stock prop specs?
It's a 3x2.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:30 PM
Willits CA
Joined Mar 2006
6 Posts
thanks

so, a 3 x 3 would be a worthy improvement?

i found some for .75 ea.
sleez is offline Find More Posts by sleez