Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2014, 06:09 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
A short and fairly uneventful phone video of life on the hill late this afternoon.

Tbones arvo with Brent 2Dec2014 (1 min 59 sec)
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Dec 02, 2014, 06:59 AM
less sleep more planes
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2006
432 Posts
Congrats on pushing through and getting some of you new planes in the air. They fly really nice.
PlayinInTheParK is offline Find More Posts by PlayinInTheParK
Old Dec 02, 2014, 10:15 PM
Addicted to carbon and speed
Australia, QLD, Tingalpa
Joined Jul 2013
168 Posts
Here is some video of the sexy curvy SCratCHO action at T Bones. Only light DS, but it sure looks and sounds great.

Sexy Curvy SCratCHO at T Bones (5 min 21 sec)
Soaring Junkie is online now Find More Posts by Soaring Junkie
Old Dec 03, 2014, 12:23 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
Thanks for that Brent. Those DS laps look better in the video than it was, I think. I found it hard to hold a good line for more than 1 or 2 laps, with wind blowing up the back and a really low shear. I don't know why, since the frontside direction seemed really good. But it was probably just a bit too north, perhaps indicated by the way that northern end bowl completely stopped working after a bit. In some "gusts" while you were flying the Schwing, the Scratcho did get more wound up but all sub-100 I reckon. One really impressive thing was how sharply it flipped back in the top turns. I just breathed on the elevator and I reckon I couldn't even see the turn, it was so fast! I remember Alex and Jarred etc DSing the old ones, and giggling and saying "nothing bangs the turns tighter than a Scratcho". Well, I think I can say that if anything, the new one is even better! I keep repeating myself I know, but I can't wait to see it in a good strong clean DS zone.
Old Dec 03, 2014, 01:35 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
Here are a few pics I forgot to put up before ...
Old Dec 03, 2014, 02:49 AM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,718 Posts
Wow, seriously, they look so good! Really love the new Scratcho scheme. Really bold but compliment the shape well. Looks to fly superbly too!
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2014, 01:47 AM
Addicted to carbon and speed
Australia, QLD, Tingalpa
Joined Jul 2013
168 Posts
Heavy SCratcho

The heavy SCratcho flies! A good afternoon breeze at Shorncliffe to let the heavy cork core layup Scratcho loose. The elevator rates, like the lighter version were quite hot, needing rates reduced to about 35%, and the CG seemed a little rearward at first. Seemed more stable through the turns and when changing direction, maybe not as nimble as the light one, but given the conditions that was to be expected. Great colour scheme on this one (AvB's tried and tested black/white with fluoro tips) and it should rip around the DS circuits... hoping we get some good wind to test that out soon, Andrew!

Heavy SCratcho maiden at SC (5 min 4 sec)
Soaring Junkie is online now Find More Posts by Soaring Junkie
Last edited by Soaring Junkie; Dec 08, 2014 at 03:08 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2014, 06:57 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
Nice work thanks Brent! In fact the elevator throw was just way too much. I've always been a stickler for measuring wing control surface throws accurately, but I've got slack about doing the Scratcho stab by eye, and obviously I'm misjudging it a lot with the new shape tail! I measured the throw with a ruler at home and was a bit shocked at how much more it was than I thought.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 07:29 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
When exploring Ma Ma ridge on Saturday the 1.7kg cork skin core Scratcho was sussing out a bad DS zone which resulted in an unscheduled landing on the backside - it flew into a small dead tree, dinging the wing LE and breaking the stab free from the fuz.

It's pretty impressive how small and localized the damage to the wing was. A very quick and easy fix. The cork core makes the wing skin very tough. I think it's probably enhanced by the resin infusion, which fills all the pores in the cork with resin. I reckon a bought mouldie would have had quite a big dogbite into the skins.

This is the first time I've ever had a stab break free from the fuz. I used the higher quality ATL 5-minute epoxy to glue it on, and I think the cheap Hobby King 5-minute does a better job because it remains a bit rubbery whereas the ATL is more hard and brittle.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 07:42 PM
R.I.P
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,570 Posts
Nice one Andrew. Maybe the perfect combo for heavier ones like that is a hollow wing with PU or something in the D box. Ive been wanting to try it for some time but never got around to it.
They are a credit to you mate- I don't think there would be many bought mouldies that could do what yours do without substantial mods.
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18