HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:44 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
Buy a DX18 (or the Futaba) from a place with a really liberal return policy (i.e. Amazon - 30 days). Get it in your hands and play with it. If you don't like it? Return it. At most, you might be out a few bucks for shipping.
So your perfectly willing to take advantage of a companies customer service policies in order to gain a demo unit to try out? Ok, I see where you are coming from.Dont forget "what comes around goes around".

Kids.Its no wonder to me that there is a large contingent in the flying community that just assume there were no kids around the flying field at all.
IMO this isnt a very good representation of what our hobby should be all about.Maybe its just me.Did you used to or still do race RC cars?
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:46 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
DX5e was good enough to lock Peter's bedroom door.
You got me there.I guess I should shut up now.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:48 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,618 Posts
FYI Aerocal, please don't quote Trolls. It completely defeats the purpose of having such members on an ignore list. Thanks for future considerations.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:50 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,666 Posts
Quote:
FYI Aerocal, please don't quote Trolls. It completely defeats the purpose of having such members on an ignore list. Thanks for future considerations.
Doh.Got me again.I should know better.It wont happen again.
Im gonna CA my lips shut.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:51 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
So your perfectly willing to take advantage of a companies customer service policies in order to gain a demo unit to try out?
Yup. If they didn't want people doing it, they wouldn't allow it.

Quote:
Did you used to or still do race RC cars?
Nope. Haven't had an R/C car since the junk I got out of the Sears/JC Penny catalog when I was a kid decades ago.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:02 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
How are we supposed to know who every single other person has on their ignore list so we don't quote them?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:50 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Aug 2012
329 Posts
Dx18

Hey Guys,
I have a brand new Dx18. It keeps wanting me to register it so I did. Now I want my radio to stop showing me that message. How do I get rid of it?
Benton
Benton3dflying is offline Find More Posts by Benton3dflying
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:55 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,618 Posts
Do an update, update to the latest Airware version and the message will go away.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:03 PM
OUCH!!!
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Sep 2008
580 Posts
That right there is the only complaint I have against the 18. I actually called Horizon tech to ask how one without internet access would go about getting the radio to function properly. He was kind of dumbfounded. I know I mentioned this all before in this thread or the other one, but it needs to be said, and HH needs to hear it. IT IS A DUMB IDEA! to have to register and update a brand new radio just to get rid of a nag screen. The radio needs to work out of the box. They had their hands full before with updates and returns with the DX8, and now they are INTENTIONALLY introducing what some would consider a flaw, or at best a bothersome/nuisance bit of code.

I apologize for repeating a small rant, but come on HH, no need to put spam on your flagship radio!!

Jay
Jayray123 is offline Find More Posts by Jayray123
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:13 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray123 View Post
IT IS A DUMB IDEA! to have to register and update a brand new radio just to get rid of a nag screen.
Be glad you had a "nag screen". It's there to make sure you update your TX so you don't crash your sh$t. The rest of us with older Spektrum radio systems weren't so lucky/warned...

Quote:
The radio needs to work out of the box.
A great many people have said (and rightfully expected) the same thing, over and over again, with every new Spektrum radio system release from the DX8 on.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:14 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,618 Posts
The guys at my LHS are kind enough to offer it to the people that don't have a computer. They will register the radio and do the update for their customers.

They told me once that one owner simply went to the local library and registered his using there computer.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:20 PM
OUCH!!!
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Sep 2008
580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
Be glad you had a "nag screen". It's there to make sure you update your TX so you don't crash your sh$t. The rest of us with older Spektrum radio systems weren't so lucky/warned...

A great many people have said (and rightfully expected) the same thing, over and over again, with every new Spektrum radio system release from the DX8 on.
I have yet to crash anything due to radio issues, signal or power. Rather than posting uselessly, try focusing your energy on something more productive. there's enough problems in the world already, we don't need your contributions to them.

Spektrum works for me. If it doesn't work for you, use something else.

Jay
Jayray123 is offline Find More Posts by Jayray123
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:21 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
I wasnt trying to be mean.The way these brand comparison questions generally end up Im just being realistic.I think the better definition of my statement would be "politically incorrect".I can live with that on my conscience.

I did however go on to give the best possible advise.Did I not?
Gimme a break.Ive been dealing with Marketing for the last week.Trying to explain why Im refusing to use the DX5e they gave me to fly the blimp.Now I got them arguing amongst themselves.Half agree with me and half dont.
All because I refuse to be "politically correct".
This didn't help me much, but maybe it will help you:
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray123 View Post
That right there is the only complaint I have against the 18. I actually called Horizon tech to ask how one without internet access would go about getting the radio to function properly. He was kind of dumbfounded. I know I mentioned this all before in this thread or the other one, but it needs to be said, and HH needs to hear it. IT IS A DUMB IDEA! to have to register and update a brand new radio just to get rid of a nag screen. The radio needs to work out of the box. They had their hands full before with updates and returns with the DX8, and now they are INTENTIONALLY introducing what some would consider a flaw, or at best a bothersome/nuisance bit of code.

I apologize for repeating a small rant, but come on HH, no need to put spam on your flagship radio!!

Jay
Not having internet access in 2012 is a mind blowing thought. I personally consider the internet as a basic necessity along with power and water!
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:18 PM
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
It is hard to imagine someone buying sophisticated equipment and lacking that degree of sophistication, but maybe Spektrum can come up with some solution for similar guys, or just refund his money and be done with it.

I mean, we used to walk 10 miles to school, and it was uphill both ways, BUT WE LOVED IT!
JohnathanSwift is online now Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift