HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:06 AM
Joined Sep 2011
105 Posts
Discussion
Boomerangs?!

I just saw this section! Who else makes their own? I haven't carved one out in a little over a year, but I love doing it. This was my last one:

I cut it for a long flight piece. It would easily sail 100~125 yards out in its loop. It weighed a ton, though. The first time I caught it I stood directly in its path thinking I would clamp my hands on it and cradle the thing. Big, big mistake. I thought it broke my hand.

I flew it until a slight breeze caught it one day. Took its arc out and sailed straight up at least 100ft. It didn't curve out as it came back down, though...the spin was all wrong...it just sliced into the asphalt. Left a huge dent in the ground, wasted the boomer.
makenzie71 is offline Find More Posts by makenzie71
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2011, 09:39 PM
United States, GA, Grayson
Joined Mar 2008
509 Posts
1,100 views and no replies?

While I know nothing about boomerangs, I will say that it looks incredibly cool
tripleup05 is offline Find More Posts by tripleup05
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:41 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,391 Posts
An Ancient Art

I got interested in boomerangs while teaching 7th and 8th grade science in the 70s and 80s. Being left-handed it was very hard to find a boomerang I could throw. So after school one day I went to the woodshop and made one. It worked great. Like the Pied Piper, a few of my students tagged along and by the next day, 15 kids were in the wood shop with me building their own. It's hard to imagine the excitement a 13 year old boy can generate for things like this. So off we went to the athletic field, with 16 boomerangs in hand. I hadn't thought this through very well and as soon as we got to the middle of the football field they all cut loose and winged their rangs into the air. Within a few seconds we were all ducking and dodging boomerangs. It must have look hilarious to someone watching us. It was obvious to even the most Ritalin-drugged kid that we needed to throw our boomerangs - one at a time. Boomerangs are great fun, especially if you try building your own.

Mike in Edmonds
hookpilot is online now Find More Posts by hookpilot