New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:06 PM
Find More Posts by Dave Moore
United States, AZ, Sun City
Joined Jun 2002
160 Posts
Question
Art Hobby High Aspect - Do you like it?

I am considering getting an Art Hobby High Aspect for casual ALES contests and general fun soaring. I have built their models so am familiar with them and like them. But I just haven't seen much chatter about the High Aspect as an ALES choice.

So what have you seen or heard about the High Aspect?
Dave Moore is offline Find More Posts by Dave Moore
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2014, 08:02 AM
Find More Posts by jswain
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,275 Posts
fyi

a friend (john cole) of mine built and flew/flys the glider only version of HA and really likes it a lot. If you search the sailplane/thermal forums you will see his build notes and pictures from a few years ago.

he beefed up the center panel wing joiner area with a thin carbon fibre reinforcement panel let in and against the back of wooden center wing joiner to relieve any concern about the center panel folding on high start/bungee launch and there have been no problems ever(even less a concern with ales launch).

based on his experience i would do what your planning and have a lower cost but well flying HA ales model myself also.

js
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Last edited by jswain; Sep 25, 2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:35 AM
Find More Posts by MikeC
Albuq, NMex USA
Joined Jan 2001
661 Posts
Philip Brister (aka Pocket Rocket) use to fly a High Aspect in ALES comp. Two weeks ago, at the Albuq Ales Contest, I asked him if he thought it was a competitive glider for the event and he still thinks it is. I am currently putting together an Odyssey 2.8 and so far like what I see. Not ARF but easy enough to build.

Mike
MikeC is online now Find More Posts by MikeC
Old Sep 29, 2014, 04:05 PM
Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
839 Posts
Dave:
I have been following this as I am interested in one also. They are out of stock now but I won't have the money for a few months anyway. I am surprised there are not more answers. Figuring a flying weight of 36 ounces, (2 ounces more than listed) the wing loading is 6.23 oz/sq.ft. Nice in light air, but what is the wind speed range this plane will handle? Can you easily ballast it? I am a first year ALES pilot and would love something like this to compete with next year and sport fly also. I have read a lot on the Owners thread in Sailplane talk and some of the build threads and think I can handle the build (assemble) but don't know about the planes ability as no one flies Art Hobby around here that I have seen.
Gary
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Sep 29, 2014, 07:51 PM
Find More Posts by John Lueke
Miamisburg OH
Joined Dec 2003
536 Posts
I have had one for a few years, but do not fly it a lot. It started as an unlimited LMR plane and had about 1200 watts available. Climbed at about 90 ft/sec. When ALES came along, I backed off on the power to about 600 watts, which was fine for 200m in 30 sec. It is not a floater with its small wing area and weight in the 65 oz range. I beefed up the wing center section, since at 90 ft/sec a twitch of the thumb on the elevator could do some wing damage. So it makes a good windy day ALES plane. It could probably be built a few ounces lighter for current ALES flying. Probably no need to ballast it and it would be hard to find room to add ballast. Don't try to find the lightest motor/gearbox combo because it needs weight in the nose to get the cg right.
John Lueke is offline Find More Posts by John Lueke
Old Sep 29, 2014, 09:17 PM
Old Prop Buster
Joined Dec 2009
839 Posts
John:
Thanks that is the type of info I am looking for, how about you Dave? Yours came out at 65 oz., Art Hobby says "Glider weight 34.03 oz". Maybe Art Hobby means without radio gear? Wow 90 ft. a second! Please keep the info coming
Thanks
Gary
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:12 PM
Find More Posts by Dave Moore
United States, AZ, Sun City
Joined Jun 2002
160 Posts
Gary,

Yes, this is exactly what I was hoping to get with this request. I'm surprised how little response there is, as well. Although there are very few threads on Art Hobby planes in general, let alone on electric High Aspects.

I am sure that the weight listed on the Art Hobby website is airframe only.

Dave
Dave Moore is offline Find More Posts by Dave Moore
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:41 PM
Find More Posts by jswain
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,275 Posts
Dave and Gary, a thought about...

i think the art-hobby line line of model is, for american modelers *buying tastes* , invisible between a a Radian type foamy bnf glider and kilobuck+ arf (Pulsar,Ava, etc) thus lost to the choice making process.
The minimal building techniques and effort for ArtHobby models are either not known or thought perhaps to be too much (imho) to attempt. Another 'secret' is the ArtHobby replacement parts are much less costly by 50% than a similar pulsar/ava/etc arf parts.
That is to bad because these are the best values short of building a balsa glider kit like those of skybench.com or M&MGliderTech, espcially for the motor glider category.

best wishes on your decision process's, at least you have your eyes and minds open.
john s.
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Last edited by jswain; Sep 29, 2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 06:48 PM
Find More Posts by Resurgam
Vienna, VA, USA
Joined Dec 2005
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lueke View Post
It is not a floater with its small wing area and weight in the 65 oz range. I beefed up the wing center section, since at 90 ft/sec a twitch of the thumb on the elevator could do some wing damage. So it makes a good windy day ALES plane. It could probably be built a few ounces lighter for current ALES flying. Probably no need to ballast it and it would be hard to find room to add ballast. Don't try to find the lightest motor/gearbox combo because it needs weight in the nose to get the cg right.
Good summary - I'm very happy with mine. Definitely not a floater, it likes to be flown "assertively". Outstanding value for money if you don't mind a bit of assembly and finishing work.

BTW, see my avatar
Resurgam is offline Find More Posts by Resurgam
Old Sep 30, 2014, 09:43 PM
Old Prop Buster
Joined Dec 2009
839 Posts
I am looking for this plane to have about 9oz/sq.in. wing loading, which makes the weight have to be about 55 ounces ready to fly. Probably not going to be able to make one that light and still climb out decently in ALES? What do you have for your motor, radio gear, esc, battery, Reurgam and John?
Thanks in advance for your time.
Gary
Old Oct 01, 2014, 07:49 AM
Find More Posts by John Lueke
Miamisburg OH
Joined Dec 2003
536 Posts
If you aim for 500 watts you will be fine for ALES. This is a clean airframe and you wan to climb at a lower angle and fly fast. Don't hang on the prop and try to go vertical. I have an ARC 28mm(about 3000kv) motor with a Kontronic 5:1 gearbox, 4s 1300 battery and a 16x8 prop. A low kv(850?) direct drive 36mm motor will also fit, but it is not as efficient.
John Lueke is offline Find More Posts by John Lueke
Old Oct 01, 2014, 06:34 PM
Find More Posts by Resurgam
Vienna, VA, USA
Joined Dec 2005
836 Posts
Motor is a Medusa 28-56 geared inrunner with a 16x9.5 CFK prop and a Phoenix 80 ESC. Battery is 3S 1600 mah 65C, with a separate receiver battery. All up weight is 57 - 58 ounces.
Resurgam is offline Find More Posts by Resurgam
Old Oct 01, 2014, 07:51 PM
Find More Posts by JBGROS
Old beginner...
Brasil, RS, Porto Alegre
Joined May 2011
52 Posts
My 2 cents

Have a HA and fly it whenever possible. Is a good plane and will need very little lift to stay a long time, but will also take winds of 15 mi (I've flown it more than once).

The one small complain: the tail should not go below the fuse. If the landing is not absolutelly strait, the rudder gets hit if the plane cartwheell. I think I'll order a replacement set to have as a reserve.
JBGROS is offline Find More Posts by JBGROS