New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2015, 03:43 AM
Find More Posts by antennahead
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbemerson View Post
Are you saying that running through PPM frees up channels on your radio?? I hadn't thought about that. Interesting..
Yep, instead of having a servo cable for each Individual function for aileron, elevator, throttle and rudder, if your RX supports ppm out, you only need to run one single servo cable. The only real downside if I remember correctly, is you give up the RSSI function. Since I have never had my RSSI drop below 2.9 volts on my dragon link, I would rather give up the RSSI so that I can get rid of the horribly stiff arkbird servo ribbon cable.
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2015, 04:37 PM
Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbemerson View Post
Ok so I posted this on the Volantex Ranger Thread, but I'm using an Arkbird and that could be part of the issue so I'm posting here too. Any idea what could have caused this?

Ok so if I may detract from the Observer for a minute and ask a question to the masses.. Today, I took the Ranger for a flight and it did something a little (ok, a lot) weird. I was cruising along at about 12 amps when out of no where, the throttle jumped up dramatically on its own, up to 37 amps. This lasted for about 1.5 seconds before my ESC went into panic mode and cut throttle to where I could not get above 10 amps. Luckily my Ranger can putt along just fine on 10 amps.

My question is, what on earth could cause throttle to sky rocket, without any input from my Tx, without ever switching to RTH (even if it did, which it didn't, I have the autopilot set to not exceed 40% throttle) and without the ESC getting too hot? It's a 70 amp ESC and I was flying along at 12 amps AND the ESC is mounted outside the plane for maximum cooling.
Why did my throttle jump up on its own?

Here's the video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojziM9KQTYo

A remote possibility but we are going through a big Solar Storm at moment (CME) that could cause a spike in your GPS HDOP so Arkbird with a brief bad GPS data could have done that?
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Jun 25, 2015, 08:44 PM
Find More Posts by zbemerson
FPV Funds Accepted. Thanks.
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Jan 2015
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
A remote possibility but we are going through a big Solar Storm at moment (CME) that could cause a spike in your GPS HDOP so Arkbird with a brief bad GPS data could have done that?
I'll share part of the discussion from the other thread. Found my answer but somehow ended up with more questions O_o Here is the copy/paste from the other page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdv View Post
I understand. My point is that the receiver may have gone into failsafe but did not tell the controller to enter RTH mode. Instead the receiver increased the throttle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by major.monogram View Post
Yeah, not to beat a dead horse, (especially since this is probably not the cause!) but what i am saying is that maybe RTH w/failsafe is not functioning. So instead of RTH it just kicked into high gear when radio signal was lost for that 1.5 seconds. Again, probably not the case, but if you haven't tested RTH by switching off your radio, you won't know if it works until you accidentally fly out of range.

I think you are probably more on the right track. I would still just test the radio signal loss to be sure..if you haven't already that is.
I'm not sure why it took me so long to understand what you guys were saying, but I'm glad I listened!! You were both right.
Turns out, I had made a change to a couple channel locations sense setting up the fail safe, and forgot I had. The fail safe kicked in with the old configuration (which is the new channel location's Gyro mode.) This explains why it looked like it never went into fail safe, bc I was already in Gyro mode.
With my Rmilec UHF LRS module, you need to set the controls on your Tx to manual RTH and hold in a button on the back of the module in order to assign that configuration to the fail safe.
SO! What happened is, I lost signal (which is another problem. I was at such short range and have been out A LOT further than I was), some weird throttle spike happened (due to loss of signal maybe?), fail safe kicked in (which was really Gyro mode), I got signal back and for some reason, throttle was limited the remainder of the flight.
After I figured out how to correct the fail safe issue, I flew again and made it to just 2 miles before losing signal again. Luckily the RTH kicked in this time, but again, throttle was limited once I regained signal, for the remainder of the flight.

New Questions:
1.) Why did I lose signal at such short range?
2.) Did my throttle spike due to loss of signal?
3.) Why was my throttle limited after I got signal back?
zbemerson is online now Find More Posts by zbemerson