Old Jun 02, 2015, 06:03 AM
Find More Posts by rssluca
Joined May 2015
3 Posts
Discussion
Northen beaches RC fields

Hi guys,

New here!!

I own a HZ Super Cub (also with floats, never used) but struggle to find a nice large place where to learn how to fly it properly. I am a private pilot but definitely struggle not being inside the cockpit !

Went twice to a park with football fields in Conrcord, but found the place too small to fly.

I live in Lane Cove, does anyone know a nice place around the area? I know of a few clubs but for now I would like to try on my own.

Also does anyone still fly with floats in Narrabeen lake or in the area?

Cheers
rssluca is offline Find More Posts by rssluca
Last edited by rssluca; Jun 02, 2015 at 08:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2015, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,955 Posts
Not sure about now but 15 or so years a go there was a group flying at Macquarie University campus at a field on the west side.
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Jun 03, 2015, 02:53 AM
Find More Posts by _AL_
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
1,362 Posts
I recommend a club purely because you can learn with help & not destroy your plane or hurt someone. You will also have public liability insurance just in case. Not all clubs are full of wnkers (though some definitely are). You can fly at most clubs a few times for around $5 a day when you are starting out so don't feel like you need to fork out hundreds before they'll help you.

The Macquarie guys are now at George Christie oval just behind the SAN Hospital.
A good bunch of guys for what it's worth.

I think the Northern Beaches Soaring Club is still around & fly near Monavale Hospital.
Send a PM to oldpilot. He will know more.

I fly with the Sunset guys in Wahroonga. The chief instructor is a commercial pilot so will be able to talk to you in familiar terms. Another great bunch of guys.

WRCS is in Oxford falls. My experience there was pretty ordinary but that was 15-20 years ago. I'm sure it's better these days.

If you are determined to go it alone, pick somewhere you can fly away from people & houses just in case.
If you do fly Narrabeen Lakes, try the western side & do it on a weekday when the lake isn't full of Kayakers. They WILL call the ranger if you annoy them.

If you are a pilot then you are not a child & I'm not your mother, so I'll spare you a lecture other than to say......Just remember, you are taking a risk by flying in a public area so make sure you fully understand your exposure & make your decisions accordingly.
Best of luck & feel free to PM me if you want some assistance.

Al
_AL_ is offline Find More Posts by _AL_
Old Jun 03, 2015, 04:27 AM
Find More Posts by sodapop131
Australia, NSW, Newport
Joined Sep 2014
26 Posts
rssluca, check your pm's
sodapop131 is online now Find More Posts by sodapop131
Old Jun 03, 2015, 05:56 AM
Find More Posts by rssluca
Joined May 2015
3 Posts
Thanks guys

Al, I didn't know you can fly at some fields initially without having to join. My only concern is having to pay so much to end up flying only a few times in the year. Does your club accept casual visitors as well?

Cheers
rssluca is offline Find More Posts by rssluca
Old Jun 03, 2015, 07:55 AM
Find More Posts by _AL_
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
1,362 Posts
PM sent.

Al
_AL_ is offline Find More Posts by _AL_