Old Feb 03, 2016, 11:48 AM
Find More Posts by ronaldj
Winter - Tavares, Florida
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2012
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenelder View Post
Question: if my GeeBee is DSM2 only, then why do I get telemetry? I thought DMS2 was without telemetry?

I seem to recall something about the later production units being DSMX while the earlier were DSM2.
I'm pretty sure telemetry was available with dsm2, IE the tm1000 supported dsm2 and dsmx. It actually surprised me that as3x was on a dsm2 receiver as well.

Anyway, you can check it. If you are getting telemetry your radio should also tell you if you are binding in dsm2 or dsmx. Try to rebind and see what you get. It will be dsm2.
ronaldj is offline Find More Posts by ronaldj
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2016, 11:43 PM
Find More Posts by dacaur
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
11,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMPod View Post
On the GeeBee box there is a sign DSM2/DSMX :-) and ...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/EFLU4580-Manual_EN.pdf - page 3

"Recommended Transmitter: Spektrum ™ DSM2™/DSMX® with dual-rates and expo (DX4e and up)"
I have two of them. Both are DSM2, and yes both say DSM2/DSMX on the side of the box, but show its a DSM2 unit on the front in the "specs" and in the manual "DSM2 6Ch Ultra Micro AS3X Receiver BL-ESC (EFLU4864)" (that part is right above the part you quoted...)

As for the recommended transmitter, at the time ALL dsmx transmitters also supported DSM2, so they were just letting you know either would work.
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Feb 04, 2016, 06:43 AM
Find More Posts by MrMPod
Polska, Mazowieckie, Warszawa
Joined Aug 2011
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
As for the recommended transmitter, at the time ALL dsmx transmitters also supported DSM2, so they were just letting you know either would work.

are you agree with me that it is not clear and NOT fair from http://www.horizonhobby.com ?
MrMPod is offline Find More Posts by MrMPod
Old Feb 04, 2016, 09:07 AM
Find More Posts by ronaldj
Winter - Tavares, Florida
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2012
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMPod View Post
are you agree with me that it is not clear and NOT fair from http://www.horizonhobby.com ?
There has been lots of discussion on this issue in the transmitter threads. But Horizon Hobby must sell a lawful product. The real problem is that the EU has made the use of DSM2 illegal, hence the limitation in your DX7.

So, as disappointing as it is, you can't blame Horizon.
ronaldj is offline Find More Posts by ronaldj
Old Feb 04, 2016, 12:15 PM
Find More Posts by dacaur
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
11,249 Posts
yea not HH's fault at all, The EU changed their regs, and the new regs dont allow DSM2. If you can find a radip imported before 2015, you can still use it, but they cant import anything else with DSM2.m Its not the use of DSM2 that illegal, its the importation of DSM2 products. Anything already there is grandfatherd in... for now....
If you look at the eu version of horizons site http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/ , they do show all the radios as dsmx only, though I dont know how thy could really make it clear other than a ginat banner headline.... The .com version is for the usa, where DSM2 is still allowed....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Feb 26, 2016, 10:59 AM
Find More Posts by braaivleis
Joined Jun 2015
116 Posts
Hi there, looks like I've got some reading to do as I've managed to get my hands on a UMX Gee Bee. Here's my collection of UMX planes so far. Catch you all soon if I have any questions but no doubt every question will have been covered. Cheers

Paul
braaivleis is offline Find More Posts by braaivleis
Old Feb 26, 2016, 11:28 AM
Find More Posts by King of Plane
I apologize for my behavior!
Joined May 2008
1,147 Posts
Nice. They look good in your white display case.
Here is my pile of 21. No room to display though :-(
Next on my list is the UMX brushless J3 Cub
King of Plane is offline Find More Posts by King of Plane
Old Feb 26, 2016, 11:40 AM
Find More Posts by brokendiff
United States, PA, Ephrata
Joined Mar 2015
632 Posts
That display is super sweet. I love it.
brokendiff is offline Find More Posts by brokendiff
Old Feb 26, 2016, 11:59 AM
Find More Posts by braaivleis
Joined Jun 2015
116 Posts
21 ? !! Thats a mighty impressive collection youve got there. lol I've still a long way to go and thanks yes my wife was looking for a few bargains in a 2nd hand furniture shop and I spotted this. Only cost me £40 and a lick of paint. Still room for another 6 planes
braaivleis is offline Find More Posts by braaivleis
Last edited by braaivleis; Feb 26, 2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:56 PM
Find More Posts by Blaze0021
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2015
3,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by braaivleis View Post
Hi there, looks like I've got some reading to do as I've managed to get my hands on a UMX Gee Bee. Here's my collection of UMX planes so far. Catch you all soon if I have any questions but no doubt every question will have been covered. Cheers

Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Plane View Post
Nice. They look good in your white display case.
Here is my pile of 21. No room to display though :-(
Next on my list is the UMX brushless J3 Cub
Quote:
Originally Posted by braaivleis View Post
21 ? !! Thats a mighty impressive collection youve got there. lol I've still a long way to go and thanks yes my wife was looking for a few bargains in a 2nd hand furniture shop and I spotted this. Only cost me £40 and a lick of paint. Still room for another 6 planes
Love the display case!! If I didn't have a kitty that would most likely knock them from the shelf, I would most likely be displaying my favorites.

Here's my fleet (minus my Eflite Viking Model 12 280 that is hanging in my entertainment room, my Eflite Zero, and my unbuilt FMS T-28 800mm, all in the same room. I haven't counted how many in all, but I've already used up 35 slots used on my DX6. I think I might have a small micro fleet addiction.
Blaze0021 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze0021
Last edited by Blaze0021; Feb 26, 2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2016, 02:43 PM
Find More Posts by freddy_fo
United States, UT, Richfield
Joined Sep 2014
965 Posts
Finally a micro I actually enjoy. I picked one of these up from another member selling his here on RCG and maidened it this morning in breezy conditions with gusts. No problem at all. My son has a few micros where I usually maiden them for him but never wanted one for myself.

Wondering if there are any other sweet flying micros as good or better than the gee bee. My son has the champ, corsair, t-28 and the latest mustang (woefully under-powered).
freddy_fo is offline Find More Posts by freddy_fo
Old Apr 04, 2016, 03:41 PM
Find More Posts by turboparker
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2009
14,738 Posts
Welcome to the group, Freddy!

The Gee Bee is definitely a great-flying little hunk of foam! Still gives me a big grin whenever I take 'er up for a flight. And the sense of accomplishment one gets from pulling off a textbook 3-point greaser with a nice, straight rollout is tough to beat!

If you like the Gee Bee, I suggest that you also check out the UMX P-47, UMX J-3 Cub, UMX Beast 3D, UMX PItts Special, and UMX P3 Revolution. Like the UMX Gee Bee, all of the above are also 2s brushless scale-outline planes. They also have surprisingly authentic scale personalities & excellent vertical performance - although the Jug's scale 4-blade prop doesn't provide quite enough grunt for huge round loops. Here are the main threads:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2489190

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2553543

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1294197

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2139002

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2474637

If you'd like a seriously hot-rodded Super Cub with flaps & an extremely faithful Cub personality, try to find a UMX Carbon Cub SS. It was just recently discontinued, so some shops may still have a few in stock. It's one of my all-time favorite RC planes - of any scale.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1585631

The UMX Sbach 3D is also an excellent-flying plane. Unfortunately, Horizon dropped it some time ago. If you find one in good shape, grab it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1731391

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Last edited by turboparker; Apr 04, 2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2016, 05:08 PM
Find More Posts by Glideroldman54
Joined Feb 2016
28 Posts
Just picked one of these historical planes in a trade. Was a little beat up. But it flew. I could tell that it's had its share of rough landings .
But I have other plans for the drive train.
Anyways it doesn't fly very straight and wings a little off angle. So it's going on the shelf minus the motor and circuit board.
Those are going into my cub sport S.
This is a very unique looking plane.
Glideroldman54 is offline Find More Posts by Glideroldman54
Old Apr 05, 2016, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by freddy_fo
United States, UT, Richfield
Joined Sep 2014
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post

The UMX Sbach 3D is also an excellent-flying plane. Unfortunately, Horizon dropped it some time ago. If you find one in good shape, grab it.

Joel
Glad you mentioned the sbach. The fellow who sold me the Gee Bee had 1 -3/4 of those (2nd complete minus the wings) so I just purchased them. I've wanted a smaller 3D to practice with and I found a source for the wings so I may have 2 of them in a week or so.
freddy_fo is offline Find More Posts by freddy_fo
Old Apr 22, 2016, 06:50 PM
Find More Posts by andyf77
Joined Dec 2014
8 Posts
Gee Bee and grass (field,that is..)

Hi All- I've had my Gee Bee safe and sound in its box for the past two years. Now that I have a bunch of planes under my belt, it's time to maiden her. Since I fly in a farmers field, what do you think is the safest way to bring her down in one piece? Also, any hints on hand launching? Thanks in advance.
andyf77 is offline Find More Posts by andyf77