SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM
Find More Posts by NullVoxPopuli
Team WarpSquad
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jul 2014
468 Posts
Discussion
I'm building a micro flying wing from scratch. What type of airfoil should I use?

Here is what I have so far.
Name: IMG_20150521_224244.jpg
Views: 15
Size: 565.2 KB
Description:

These are the dimensions: http://fwcg.3dzone.dk/?wing_span=45....ow_mac_lines=0 (sans elevons)

What type of airfoil should I build?
NullVoxPopuli is online now Find More Posts by NullVoxPopuli
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 09:46 AM
Find More Posts by Cereal_Killer
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Dec 2014
326 Posts
I just built my first micro wing (15" wingspan) using a KFm2. At first I had my flaps wrong and it didn't fly at all but after correcting that (by gluing/taping the built in flaps back solid and adding additional surfaces at the back outter edge) it nearly glides!
Cereal_Killer is online now Find More Posts by Cereal_Killer
Old Today, 10:19 AM
Team WarpSquad
Joined Jul 2014
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal_Killer View Post
I just built my first micro wing (15" wingspan) using a KFm2. At first I had my flaps wrong and it didn't fly at all but after correcting that (by gluing/taping the built in flaps back solid and adding additional surfaces at the back outter edge) it nearly glides!
do you have a picture?

mine is about 45.5 cm across.
Old Today, 10:52 AM
Joined Dec 2014
326 Posts
I'd never actually measured it before. From one stabilizer to the other is 17.25".

Made from a sheet of foam board recycled from one of my daughters 4th grade projects. Electronics are from a v911 heli, motor is 0820 (8.5 x 20) 9250KV. It floats along at about 8-10MPH (ground speed) and is very easy to keep in the air. Obviously my Tx (Devo) is handling elevon mix since again it a helicopter brick.
Old Today, 10:58 AM
Team WarpSquad
Joined Jul 2014
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal_Killer View Post
I'd never actually measured it before. From one stabilizer to the other is 17.25".

Made from a sheet of foam board recycled from one of my daughters 4th grade projects. Electronics are from a v911 heli, motor is 0820 (8.5 x 20) 9250KV. It floats along at about 8-10MPH (ground speed) and is very easy to keep in the air. Obviously my Tx (Devo) is handling elevon mix since again it a helicopter brick.
woah! is that a hubsan motor?
is your airfoil symmetrical? I currently don't have an airfoil (just the flat sheet of foam)

I was thinking about throwing brushless motors on my wing, but maybe my polecat guts will work after all! :-)
Old Today, 12:30 PM
Joined Dec 2014
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullVoxPopuli View Post
woah! is that a hubsan motor?
is your airfoil symmetrical? I currently don't have an airfoil (just the flat sheet of foam)

I was thinking about throwing brushless motors on my wing, but maybe my polecat guts will work after all! :-)
Yes, the main body is a single piece (not two wings butted together) and was made by me making one pattern, tracing one wing then flipping it over and tracing the other wing then cutting it all out whole. The first (inner) flaps you see there are my first attempt, it didnt work (to close to center and not enough wing area) so I taped those back solid and added on the bigger ones (why the vertical stabilizers dont extend back over them). AUW with the 500mA battery is 51g, I tried with a 180mA V911 battery and it wasnt enough weight up front to kepp it from going nose up and stalling.

I'm using this motor (also note, I have a better FET on the v911 board that's rated to 5.8A).
I tried a new motor for a L6052 I had on hand and it wasnt fast enough (or perhaps it was just to weak in general) to spin the 110mm prop I was trying to use so I bought the 37000RPM motor (fastest I could find) and it still wouldnt fly (tho it did move that big prop much better) so I switched over to the pictured prop (from a dromida kodo) and it started flying and I'm happy with it so I didnt mess with parts any more. I think there's a good chance it would of flew with just the new FET and the Kodo prop on the stock L6052 quad motor (I was using a 110mm plane prop, I dont know what from).

I'm not gonna mess with this one anymore and just fly it but I am building a second, nearly identical but with a blunt nose and the motor on interior of the body (setup as a pusher) and using another V911 brick. BTW I fly with a Devo 7E so if anyone wanted my .ini for the elevon mix just let me know (it's actually already posted in the model configs section at devo forums)
Old Today, 01:40 PM
Find More Posts by joe_crash
Pelagicide
United States, MD, Gaithersburg
Joined Oct 2010
507 Posts
Where are the Devo forums? I've never seen it on rcg, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place. I've thought for a long time that the Devo transmitters looked really good in terms of # of channels, mixing, etc, for the price, which seems to be a lot less than you'd pay for an 8 ch radio from anyone else. (or 7 ch, or even 12)
Thanks!
joe_crash is offline Find More Posts by joe_crash
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 02:24 PM
Joined Dec 2014
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_crash View Post
Where are the Devo forums?
Thanks!
Www.deviationTx.com

Whatever you do, DO NOT get a 7 (7E is great!) but a normal 7 is not deviation FW compatible. BTW, Taranis support is coming very soon!