New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2015, 09:23 AM
Find More Posts by Ruby81
Joined Nov 2014
26 Posts
Help!
Bn-880 gps setup

Hi guys. I ordered ublox m8n from eBay and get this bn-880. There are no much information about this gps. Can someone please tell me how to configure it for flip32 / naze32 pro? I can communicate with it through pc but it is 9600 and only 7 satellites instead of 72.
Thanks in advance.
Ruby81 is offline Find More Posts by Ruby81
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2015, 05:09 PM
Find More Posts by Ruby81
Joined Nov 2014
26 Posts
I hope that someone can help me! I finally find the right settings and now getting 17 satellites indoors . But in cleanflight in gps tab 3d is changing true and false every second. Please help.
Ruby81 is offline Find More Posts by Ruby81
Old Mar 20, 2015, 06:20 PM
Find More Posts by thegigi
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
Bn-880 gps setup

I have the same and used this german forum and the settings from here via u-center and FTDI.

most important is : "Using this configuration there is definite glitching in the data stream being received by the U-Center as others on DIY Drones have reported Link
Changing the Measurement Period back to 1000ms from 200ms cleared the data stream glitching."

i put 1000 ms as Measurement Period and still has some random glitches below 5 sat but above that is ok.

Have not tried yet in flight will do tomorrow if weather is ok.
thegigi is offline Find More Posts by thegigi
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:26 AM
Find More Posts by worms32
Cengiz
Turkey, Ankara Province, Ankara
Joined Jun 2013
55 Posts
I have same gps and i cannot figure out its orientation for APM.
worms32 is offline Find More Posts by worms32
Old Apr 01, 2015, 03:28 PM
Find More Posts by ntreso
Joined Mar 2015
8 Posts
can you please share settings for that gps here....thanks
ntreso is offline Find More Posts by ntreso
Old Apr 02, 2015, 08:19 AM
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
BN-880 gps settings

Here are my u-blox settings. I still get glitches of 1-2 secs but it does not affect anymore the overall behavior. I have set the GPS glitch param to no change and enabled EKF filter (both in UBLOX and APM) and that gives a much more stable behaviour
I have not tried these settings in flight so use with care ..

A post of Greg Covey on DIYDrones was suggesting that these glitches may be due to unknown messages being misinterpreted by the APM and this erraticaly stops the communication with the APM as a kind of error overflow in the communication.

Anyhow would be good if someone with more experience could investigate this as i get inhouse close to window 8-9 sats and a <2 hdop so it may be a good replacement for LEA-6H and NEO-6M.

For this case i attach also a log where one can see err param is raised without visible link to sats behavior. Not sure what to do next.
Last edited by thegigi; Apr 02, 2015 at 10:15 AM. Reason: added info
Old Apr 02, 2015, 04:58 PM
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
BN-880 GPS settings

OK after doing some diggs and tweaking of several parameters in the u-center it came up that the BN-880 supports rates of 5Hz ! at 38400 baud so it may be usable with APM.
I don't have anymore glitches even in u-center at 5Hz and a hdop<2 at 10 sats on my work table! Also unknown messages are gone.(see pics).
On the copter(nova) i had solid 3d lock with 12 sats and hdop <2 for 15 mins close to window with zero glitches. The sudden interruption is due to disconnection and re-connection of the battery (after 10 sec).
I have attached the resulted u-blox file(M8N_new4.txt) . Also the original sheets of the manufacturer. Make sure you turn off NMEA messages by right clicking on the NMEA Text on top of the tree and then choose disable child messages and SEND to store the new setting.
Hope it helps. Not tested yet in flight so please use carefully. I would wait for a more authorized opinion before flying it
Last edited by thegigi; Apr 02, 2015 at 07:17 PM. Reason: misstype
Old Apr 05, 2015, 06:06 AM
Joined Mar 2015
8 Posts
so did you test it in a flight????
Old Apr 06, 2015, 02:42 AM
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
BN-880 GPS settings

I did a quick check on the field on saturday. Wind was 18 km/h and gusty so i was mostly moving around with the copter in hand without props. I have enabled SBAS for navigation and position was stable after aprox 5 mins of satelites search. Precision of the position was better than my galaxy s5 (with 3DR Tower App) . Logs look ok from sat(14-15 sats) and hdop (1.6) point of view, but had some EKF Failsafe (lots ) as the compass was mounted/configured reversely . I assume that was causing APM go to Land instead of RTL in radio Failsafe. Then i did a some short low altitude (2m) takeoffs and in poshold it was drifting drifting slowly as EKF Failsafe was engaged. So i need to do better tests once wind is out (and i have more time) in order to see to poshold/loiter stability.
Old Apr 06, 2015, 03:53 AM
Joined Mar 2015
8 Posts
thanks ...nice information .... im now curious too see new intel when you go to flight...thanks again for information

maybe you can use this settings..

Installing new Ublox 8 Series GPS By Boaz van Veen
By Matt Kim on Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 8:05pm
this will work for both the scout and Tali im pretty sure. I did it on a Scout. (on paper it should work on any APM-based drone)
With this modification you replace the whole GPS of the scout. This means you are upgrading to a gps wich can hold onto more sattelites, get the sattelites faster and has a same or better compass. If your scout of tali always hangs around 0,7 or 8 sattelites and maybe sometimes drifts while in gps mode without receiving a command from you, then this modification is for you. It makes the scout alot more trustworthy. I have no more drifting and always have a ton of GPS's locked in. (or GLONASS instead of gps:P)
Ofcource do these modifications on your own risc and have fun enjoying more reliable gps afterwards.
I have to say its the most awesome quadcopter i have seen and played with for pretty much any goal after this upgrade and other mods (minimosd and retract cushion mod)

EDIT: did not fix the drifting issue...probaly less then before but the drifting came back today.

Video:
Scout x4 new gps (3 min 23 sec)

I would like to give a special thanks to Petri Junnila for originally coming up with this idea and his research.

What do you need?
- Solder iron.
- Cables! http://www.banggood.com/40pcs-20cm-M...o-p-75613.html
- FTDI adapter. http://www.banggood.com/FT232RL-FTDI...-p-917226.html
- The new GPS module. http://www.banggood.com/Ublox-M8N-GP...-p-960564.html
- PC and usb cable(duh)
- Screwset(more duh :P)
- Glue.

For best and clean results:
- Sandpaper
- Drillset.

Lets get started!
1. Remove all screws from the scout body (20 i think) and remove the upper body by disconnecting the gps, compass and telemetry to receiver wires.
2. Put away the scout, you wont need it. We are going to mess with the upper body.
3. Remove the copper paper from inside the upper body, dont throw it away.
4. Remove the 2 screws that hold the GPS mount then pick up the gps since it comes loose and remove the screws from the gps unit as well.
5. Disconnect the wires from the old gps, and then pull the wires from the gps mount, the side of the gps mount should come loose. if not, use a small knife to pry it open. Then remove the rest of the old gps casing.
6. Remove wire connector from the gps mount and put away the old GPS.
7. Time to setup the new GPS. Remove screws and casing and check out the colors of the new gps cables and solder male cables to them so they can connect to the FTDI adapter you ordered or already have. Put a paper tag to the 2 compass wires(with the smaller connector) so you know those 2 wires are for compass.
(When soldering always make sure there is no bare/naked solder. Use tape or crimps to cover the solder).
8. Connect the new gps to the FTDI adapter. Install U-center on PC and FTDI drivers if you do not have them, then connect the FTDI cable to the PC and startup U-center. Connect the red cable to the FTDI's VCC, the black cable to GND, the other 2 cables (not from compass) to TX and RX. if you wired these up wrong, then your pc and gps will not connect or you will not see data. if this is the case just switch these 2 wires and it will work.
9. To confirm your gps is working please go outdoor or put the gps close to a window. Within 3 minutes as maximum (usally 30-60 seconds) you should see data incoming. Blue or green bars in the right side of u-center. This means your gps is working and is connected correctly to the PC. If not, try switching RX and TX wires.

10. If you have sattelites then your GPS is working properly and we can edit some important settings.
Press CTRL+F9 in u-center. a settings screen will open.
Go to PRT (Ports) - Target should be UART1. Protocol in = 0+1+2. protocol out = 0+1. Change boud rate to 38400. Click the Send button in the down-left corner.
Go to RATE (Rates) - Change measurement period to 250ms. Click the Send button in the down-left corner.
Go to MSG (Messages) - make sure the UART1 box is checked. If not, turn it on. check the box. Click the Send button in the down-left corner.
Go to CFG (configuration) - Check the "Save current configuration" and then Click the Send button in the down-left corner.
Disconnect the GPS from PC.

11. Solder female-end cables to the old gps and old compass cable of the scout. Connect new gps to scout using the old connectors and the cables you ordered.
12. Test the new gps. Go outside lay your gps on a flat surface with antenna facing upwards and power up your scout. After a while 30-180 seconds your scout gps LED in battery should start blinking because it finds GPS. The compass is messed up(if you have a minimosd you will see that) but dont worry, we get to that part later. If in 3 minutes you find nothing(no gps led blinking) then switch the 2 wires colored different then red and black. (not of the compass). Power up again and now it should work.
13. got sattelites? Great, then now we can nicely install the new GPS.
14. Use tape or a bit glue on the new wires female/male ends so they will not disconnect easily.

Easy setup(skip if you value prettyness/beauty):
14. Put the new wires nicely through the hole of the upper body, put the new gps casing back together with the wires connected ofcource and use glue or tape to put the gps on the upper body. Screw back everything and you are done! Make sure the gps N> arrow faces the to the nose of the scout with the antenna facing up.
Now go to step 19.

More pretty setup:
14. Remove the black wire protection from the wires using a sharp knife carefully.
15. Get the naked wires through the GPS mount. A little bit of messy work, use some pliers and you will be fine after messing with it. after cables sit in there nicely, put back the side of the gps mount so it closes up nicely.
16. Measure the distance between the 4 gps mount holes and drill them in the new gps transparant casing. Make sure to not drill too big or the screws fall through. The opening for the cables should face the back side of the Scout or Tali. Then screw down the transparant part of the casing. You will need sandpaper to make the top part of the gps mount flat. use some pliers to rip off the biggest part before sanding it down nice and smoothly.
17. Put back the new gps into its casing. Antenna facing up, and the N> facing to the exact-as-you-can nose of the scout. Then use some glue on the sides so youre sure the gps wont move in its casing.
18. Screw back the top part of the gps casing with the arrow facing to the front side of the scout.
19. If you value the 2 leds on the gps then you are done with installing the new gps back unto the scout. if you want beauty then bring the old gps casing to a paint shop and let them make the paint, and then paint the new gps casing like the old gps casing.
20. screw back evertyhing.
21. Remove the scout battery and connect the usb cable from pc to scout or tali. (might need to hold the usb board inside with a finger at the scout to prevent the usb cable from not connecting).
22. Start mission planner 1.3.5. Go to Initial Setup > Mandatory Hardware > Compass > Then click Manual wich is already set.... Then select ROTATION_ROLL_180. Then i have no idea how to save configuration. Try closing mossion planner, disconnect and connect scout again and see if it is saved. if not, then click live calibration and just close it again without calibration. Make sure the setting is saved. If it still is not saved then go to Config/ Tuning > Full Parameter List > AHRS_Orientation and set it to 8. Then click "write params". That -SHOULD- do the trick as well but i did NOT test it. If it saves in initial compass setup then do not touch that setting in full parameter list.
23. Disconnect usb cable, put back in the battery and do a compass calibration in open space away from metals. Best to do on grass or else on the street. Not on
Last edited by ntreso; Apr 06, 2015 at 04:15 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2015, 02:26 PM
Cengiz
Joined Jun 2013
55 Posts
forward direction

Hi
I could not configure the forward direction of this gps.
In mission planner i tried several configuration but not sure.
Roll 180 yaw 45 (See attached picture, white legs forward side) seems correct but its weird i think.
Any suggestion?

Edit : right answer is roll 180.
I have changed my calibration location, problem gone.
Last edited by worms32; Apr 13, 2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old Apr 08, 2015, 05:09 PM
Joined Mar 2015
8 Posts
this is install in scout x4...if that can help you
Old Apr 13, 2015, 02:54 PM
Cengiz
Joined Jun 2013
55 Posts
thegigi;
I uploaded your new4 config file using apm passthrough. In ucenter gps catches 810 satellites even indoors. But when i load firmware to apm (3.1.5) gps blue led blinks but not fix.
I think apm changes gps parameters in boot process. Maybe a new firmware can solve problem.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 02:41 PM
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
..sorry for delay

1. compass : position is the small arrow on the board pointed to front (in front the lower one) hard to see for me too . Make sure you use ROTATION_ROLL_180 and auto-declination if your FC board points in the same direction as the BN-880 and then do a compass calibration with MP ( i am getting now offsets below 100)

2. GPS : if you do not get any fix on APM make sure you use the GPS_TYPE = 2 as uBlox. Also i have disabled EKF and DCM checks. Just for testing (as you can hardly get HDOP 2 inside the house) you can also disable GPS_GLITCH and see if you get readings (and then re-enable it before actual flying)
Old Apr 15, 2015, 02:46 PM
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
APM passthrough

@ worms32 : how did you do the APM passthrough ? I thought this has been disabled..