HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2007, 09:07 PM
United States, MN, Shakopee
Joined Nov 2006
108 Posts
Help!
electronic ignition on a gas engine

i cant get my reichmuth ignition to work right. i have the timing set right because it idles perfectly. at faster rpm it starts to pulse and eventually dies. does anybody have any thoughts about this?

thanks
crazy plane is offline Find More Posts by crazy plane
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:42 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy plane
i cant get my reichmuth ignition to work right. i have the timing set right because it idles perfectly. at faster rpm it starts to pulse and eventually dies. does anybody have any thoughts about this?

thanks
Hello "crazy plane"

I am glad that your plane is crazy cause I am sure YOU are not crazy.

I do not use this system but as you said "does anybody have any thoughts about this?". I can do some thinking .

http://www.dandbengines.com/

Because it idles perfectly does not mean the timing is set right.
At idle the ignition timing should be a few degrees like 3 to 8 before TDC. It has to advance to about 20 or more degrees at high rpm.

An engine may idle quite well with ignition after TDC and also with ignition well before TDC.

The above URL is worth reading and will save me lots of typing suggest you go and read it. Link in the site to ignition.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 20, 2007, 02:31 AM
NM2K
Ringgold, GA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy plane

thanks
---------------

Keep in mind that a bad battery (low voltage, insufficient capacity) or a defective Hall sensor can lead to problems, most of which manifest themselves at higher rpm.

You might want to bite the bullet and give R/C Ignitions or Brillelli a call to order a new C&H ignition system. Life is too short to troubleshoot out of production products, unless money is scarce and time is aplenty. BTDT myself, so I can understand that position with a history of experience.

I bought my last C&H ignition system from Brillelli for well under $100, plus I bought an add-on module (which made it slightly more expensive than $100) to add the Synchro-Spark automatic timing adjustment feature (not absolutely necessary, but nice).

I say this because lots of folks used to pot their electronic circuit boards in epoxy, making them basically unfixable. Some of the older Reichmuth ignitions might have been potted. Don't know for sure though. It is easy enough to see once you remove the cover.

Ed Cregger
Artisan is offline Find More Posts by Artisan