HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2014, 06:41 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,459 Posts
Fellas,

Yep now that I understand to let this bird fly pretty loose...it's all about conservation of energy. I got two 25min flights today. The 3s 25C 2200mAh LiPo came down at 3.83v per cell....just at my own personal cut off limit after a 25minute duration in the air. This was mixed flying but throttle was "always" on at least a minimum maintenance throttle....just enough to keep the prop from stopping and creating drag.

I'd say 15min of 40% throttle and 10min of maintenance throttle.

My wife was with me today at the noon flight and witnessed a huge red tail Hawk come waaaaaay out of nowhere to investigate the eagle. We made a couple of long sweeping rounds together...probably cruising I'd say about 250ft high or so...it was a real kick. I guess as soon as it thought I was not a threat or a "poser" he took two huge wing flaps and cruised off out of sight.

The second flight I was showing my wife low slow passes....huge loops....slow banking turns...and the forever floating lumbering mind numbing crawling flat turns at about 20ft off the deck.......amazing to me.

This evening I went back out and flew until my neck was sore from looking up so long...reminds of my sailing days looking top mast at the flags for windage and mast bend....the next day my neck was a little tender. Then it dawned on me....yes conservation of energy....when this bird starts to bank a little...just go with it...don't fight it....in fact turn into that bobble wobble and continue on that natural trajectory. I would then apply a scoshe of throttle and bring it around for another set up.....Until I got so hypnotized I'd have to bring it down for a couple of low speed passes then go back up.......what a trip!!!

Anyway....guess I'll have to start packing some lawn chairs and binoculars for the summer.

I hope you guys get your birds set up and enjoy them half as much as I am. By the way....black and white is very easy to see and up high the profile is readily recognizable.....glad I did not go brown.

Yours Truly,
TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2014, 06:33 AM
The tattoo guy
USA, MN, St Paul
Joined Jun 2009
578 Posts
Protect that nose of that bird!

Hey all,

Here is a nose cone for the EPP Eagle.
Protect that nose!
Hooks on with just two rubber bands.

Click on the link below to order.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/1708...s&materialId=6
Greasetattoo is offline Find More Posts by Greasetattoo
Old Feb 14, 2014, 07:19 AM
RC keeps me sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,154 Posts
From the site
"White Strong & Flexible
White nylon plastic with a matte finish and slight grainy feel.
$58.63"
Price seems high, no?
microDan is offline Find More Posts by microDan
Old Feb 14, 2014, 07:38 AM
Isle of Man
Joined Apr 2012
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microDan View Post
From the site
"White Strong & Flexible
White nylon plastic with a matte finish and slight grainy feel.
$58.63"
Price seems high, no?
That's almost as high as the cost of the bird itself
jhkiom is offline Find More Posts by jhkiom
Old Feb 14, 2014, 07:48 AM
The tattoo guy
USA, MN, St Paul
Joined Jun 2009
578 Posts
Order through me and I'll only charge you $25 plus shipping.
One crash and it would pay for itself!

Shapeways charges alot for printing.
Greasetattoo is offline Find More Posts by Greasetattoo
Old Feb 14, 2014, 08:53 AM
RC keeps me sane
Joined Sep 2005
1,154 Posts
Hey Grease, its a great product no doubt. Its just a matter of being cost effective.
I know what its like to nose in the Eagle and see the carnage.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 09:27 AM
Isle of Man
Joined Apr 2012
578 Posts
Thanks for coming back Grease, not slagging the product as it seems very good just the price from shapeways was a bit of a shocker!
Old Feb 27, 2014, 02:48 PM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Mar 2008
3,443 Posts
Anyone make one of these with full ailerons? I like the idea of soaring but seems I might like it more if it had full controls. Anyone still selling these in the states?
bigmoebbq is online now Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Feb 27, 2014, 04:01 PM
RC keeps me sane
Joined Sep 2005
1,154 Posts
No one makes a kit with ailerons. They only exist in homemade version modifications.
I can understand your thoughts about ailerons, but there is full controls on this bird.
I'm not crazy about 3 channel planes either, but to make them feel more conventional and like a 4 channel plane.... I mix the rudder & aileron sticks in the radio. This way I can use use both sticks and it feels like rudder or aileron or both.
Old Mar 01, 2014, 01:31 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,459 Posts
Three 18minute flights today....my neck is a little tight and my nose is sunburned from looking up sooo long - (80degrees midday).....drew in one Giant Hawk and several Texas Turkey Vultures.....my wife tracked the incoming feathered flyers as they came from very far off.....circled with me then flapped back off from whence they came.....I did try to mimic one of the Turkey Vultures and managed to get caught up in an updraft with it.......lost sight of my bird or at least could not tell what I was doing....flying the "Dot".....I had to wack the throttle and force down elevator to see what the heck was going on.....comes down in a hurry that way.

Nice flying in at or near 5-10mph winds.......can't wait for the summer evenings to soar with the big birds....if I can stay in practice...very fun and relaxing flyer....glad I have the "Black Winged white tailed Eagle" otherwise it would be pretty hard to keep up with in the blue skies.

I shot video....but it will be very boring....good steady stable..slow turning boring hovering flights.

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Old Mar 05, 2014, 08:15 AM
Joined Jul 2007
724 Posts
Whats the current best place to buy one of these from at the moment?
The_RattleSnake is offline Find More Posts by The_RattleSnake
Old Mar 05, 2014, 10:45 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
5,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_RattleSnake View Post
Whats the current best place to buy one of these from at the moment?
"Best is a matter of personal opinion".
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...gle-p-864.html
http://www.freewebs.com/eppeagle/
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...5&pid=C2700124
The BP Hobby one may be a clone.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Mar 07, 2014, 12:52 AM
Joined Jul 2007
724 Posts
Thanks for that, I've seen the freeweb ebay site but it seems they only sell the white one via ebay, good to see I can get the coloured versions.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 06:44 AM
Isle of Man
Joined Apr 2012
578 Posts
Good to see this thread still has 'wings'

Let's see some more flying videos, anyone doing 'low and slow', that what I want from my eagle.

Another two weeks of resting my hand and I'm back in action, can't wait. I've had my eagle a box for nearly a year now.

It's definitely one bird that shouldn't be a hanger queen!

Yesterday had a Hen Harrier fly through our garden, down the drive, though the gate posts, and on to a field in the front of our house, it was fantastic.

That's what excites me about this bird, she can fly high, and low and slow and I reckon the Hen harrier is likely to be my (daughter in law to be going to do the creative when I am able to build it) paint job!

Cheers guys.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 07:28 AM
Joined Jul 2007
724 Posts
I have an airbrush that I usually use to paint the inside of Rc car shells that I could use if I got the white version. but I dont know how the paint would stick to the foam, so I think I'm going to get the brown version. Seems to be closest to the birds that fly around here.