HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2005, 06:40 PM
Just Keeping UP
United States, ID, Moyie Springs
Joined May 2004
1,726 Posts
35" Staggerwing Short Kits for Sale

I'm finally ready to offer short kits of my 35" WS Beech Staggerwing for sale.

For complete sales information, go here:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...51#post3897913

Nick
nfhill is offline Find More Posts by nfhill
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2005, 07:59 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,527 Posts
Wow, thats pretty! You should cover it in transparent....
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:50 PM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,726 Posts
I have thought of covering one side in doculam, leaving it clear. It would make a good sales tool. Close up, I'm not that sure my craftmanship is really up to it though. I always manage to leave lots of skin glued here and there. This one is covered in red Solite. Perhaps I'll build a third one.

Nick
Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:37 PM
Trampling out the vintage
Joined Feb 2002
1,893 Posts
Excellent model. While I'm no expert on these I have long admired the shape and your model appears very faithful to the original. How did you develop the scale outlines, what souce did you use?
4 Scale is online now Find More Posts by 4 Scale
Old Jun 16, 2005, 01:48 AM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,726 Posts
Greg,

I started out with a 17" WS Dumas kit. I started with the fuselage. I left the formers in their sheets and scanned them to get the basic shapes. I also scanned the plan's side view to get the basic former locations and side profile. Next, in my CAD system, I enlarged the design to 35" wingspan. Using the 3-view provided with the plans, I adjusted the shape to make it 'look' more scale. It took a significant amount of stretching to get a scale length. Then came some adjustments of structure to fit locations of the wing's LE & TE and other features.

About this time, I started a 'design & build' thread in the parkflyer forum. Martin Hunter then sent me a very nice set of graphic files: 14 pages of scale drawings in jpg form of various models of the Staggerwing. Using these drawings as references, I made more adjustments to the fuselage shape. I imported some of the jpg files into my CAD system and traced wing tip shapes, H-Stab shapes, etc. Then I scaled these drawings and added typical model structure details.

Next, I cut balsa and built the left side of the fuselage. With this half fuselage I was able to work out some more small shape/cross section changes to make the shape 'flow' better. After making some small changes to the left half fuselage, I cut the formers for the right half of the fuselage. The left and right sides of the fuselage were not exactly the same, but I felt they were close enough to fly OK.

Next came the wings. I used the scale drawings Martin sent be to work out the wing outlines, aileron, and flap sizes. Other than the landing gear arrangement, the wings were fairly straight forward.

As I completed the first prototype, I made small changes to the design so the next version would be better.

You can see the full development of the design by going to part one of the design / build thread here in Parkflyers: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229942

My scale goal was to make it look close enough to the real thing to require a ruler and/or a fair amount of knowledge of the full scale to tell the difference. I can still easily see some differences, but that's after over a year of work and studying the drawings.

Nick
Old Mar 05, 2006, 02:30 PM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,726 Posts
Kits Still Available

Just a reminder before the end of the building season.

I have 3 kits available for immediate delivery: $120 plus $15 shipping to the cont. 48.

These will probably be the last Staggerwing kits I put together. So if you want one, don't wait.

Nick