HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM
Sheriffporter
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2011
16 Posts
Discussion
Identify this engine?

Gas two stroke, looks like a weed eater motor. Has a threaded shaft coming out the back of the engine in addition to the prop adaptor on the front. I got it on this aircraft (also unidentified) from an old timer about 10 years ago, and he got it from another. I am thinking from the early eighties maybe.... it is very heavy!
Any idea what it is? Anybody interested in it?
sheriffporter is online now Find More Posts by sheriffporter
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM
Measure thrice, mark twice...
United States, AZ, Ajo
Joined Jun 2012
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriffporter View Post
it is very heavy!
Not surprising, to judge by the exhaust system.
ahrma_581 is online now Find More Posts by ahrma_581
Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM
Sheriffporter
Joined May 2011
16 Posts
At least it is black gas-rated pipe! Lol
Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM
WBE
Las Vegas Circle Burners
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Aug 2005
570 Posts
Sheriff, just a thought but could you track down the gentleman who installed that "exhaust system" and arrest him?

...unless, of course it was you then I'll just compliment you on a beautiful installation!
WBE is offline Find More Posts by WBE
Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM
Sheriffporter
Joined May 2011
16 Posts
Alas, I can not take credit for that rather unique "tuned" exhaust pipe.

I noticed that some of the older Quadra engines have that threaded shaft going out the rear of the crankshaft. Maybe this is an older Quadra? Anybody have one to compare a photo?
Old Today, 09:22 AM
1/2 scale
Pitt Meadows. B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2006
140 Posts
Definately not a Quadra. A better picture of the crankcase might help. Maybe something that was cut out of a chainsaw etc? Is that a compression release on the head next to the plug?

Plane looks like a Telemaster. Is the stab flat or airfoiled . T'masters used airfoiled stabs.
mogman is offline Find More Posts by mogman
Old Today, 09:33 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,849 Posts
Yes I would agree in that it is a conversion engine. Looks like someone converted a chainsaw engine, or large trimmer engine, for RC airplane usage. That compression release, if that is what it is, tends to be a giveaway for it being a conversion engine. I remember a lot of people using threaded pipes for exhausts on the conversion engines years ago.

Yeah it does look like a Telemaster plane of some sort.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Today, 02:10 PM
Sheriffporter
Joined May 2011
16 Posts
I will pull it and get some better photos. Can't get it to run, it has spark and will "pop" but wont fire up. I think the carb is all gunked up from sitting for so many years with fuel mix in it. Not sure if it is worth messing with or if I should just look for another engine, it does seem pretty heavy for the plane.
Old Today, 02:24 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,849 Posts
Yes if the engine sat for a long time then the carb needs to be cleaned out and the diaphragms replaced. Yes the old magneto ignition engines tend to be quite heavy. But at the time we didn't have electronic ignition systems yet. So one had to carefully choose the plane to use it on.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Today at 02:25 PM. Reason: add more info
Old Today, 03:01 PM
Sheriffporter
Joined May 2011
16 Posts
It does have a lifting stab, the same profile as the wing. But the nose does not look anything like a Telemaster (at least none that I have seen). But I suppose somebody may have custom built the nose around the engine. It also has nice fiberglass wheel pants and pretty heavy duty landing gear unlike the Telemaster.

Did some checking, looks like around $350 for an electric motor to pull this thing, and by the time I get an ESC and batteries I would be into it a LOT.... may need to look for a good used motor....