HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2014, 06:08 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
3,572 Posts
Question
Dr. Mad Thrust/RCLander 90 EDF's with stators loose. How do you fix this?

I purchased two new Dr. Mad Thrust/RCLander 90mm EDF units with the 1000kv motor (to be used with 10S) from Hobbyking.

I open the container for both, and a stator on each EDF is lose and flapping around. There are two screws that hold in each stator as many of you know, but the screws were loose. I figured I would simply try to screw it back in, but you can't because the hole that the screw is supposed to thread into seems stripped since no matter how many times I tried screwing it in, it won't catch or tighten. It just spins free. The second EDF is the exact same way. Now, this isn't a good sign at all if these stators can come loose so easily. It seems like the screws that go into each stator don't go in very far either, and can be loosened in a flash. How come the stators aren't permanently fixed to the EDF shroud to prevent from coming loose? I doubt it would be safe to fly a plane with a stator missing unfortunately, but I don't know how to fix it.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about:

I have had a great experience with RCLander EDF's in the past, but those are the ones that did not have bolted on stators. These stators have me a bit worried. Any idea how to fix an issue like this properly, especially when the screws cannot be screwed in?

Thanks
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2014, 06:34 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,195 Posts
If you can't get a replacement housing, I would epoxy the threads on the stripped one.
For the rest of them, reinstal all the screws with blue loctite, being sure sure to not overtighten the screws when doing so.
efflux RC is online now Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Apr 02, 2014, 10:20 PM
Joined Aug 2008
3,572 Posts
Thanks Gary . I just responded to your PM with a few questions.
Old Apr 03, 2014, 02:30 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,760 Posts
bad idea T-cat
call parkrcmodels and see if you can have it replaced...........this is from a bad batch..........we just had one replaced two weeks ago and they gladly replaced it.
!!!!dont take it apart if you dont have to!!!!

as far as Gary's idea, its fine for the one or two that are loose but dont try to remove any others. the bolts are so soft that their locktite is stronger, they feel like they are unscrewing out but no they just twist in half at the motor tube and your done
I think the reason some are loose is because if you tighten them the housing becomes out of round...........not the best QC on these units but if you get a good one they are ok I guess for the low cost........I prefer better units myself.
Jetfan edf units kick the crap out of these for a few bucks more
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Apr 03, 2014, 02:34 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,195 Posts
bad idea T-cat
call parkrcmodels and see if you can have it replaced...........this is from a bad batch..........we just had one replaced two weeks ago and they gladly replaced it.

as far as Gary's idea, its fine for the one or two that are loose but dont try to remove any others. the bolts are so soft that their locktite is stronger, they feel like they are unscrewing out but no they just twist in half at the motor tube and your done
I think the reason some are loose is because if you tighten them the housing becomes out of round...........not the best QC on these units but if you get a good one they are ok I guess for the low cost........I prefer better units myself.
.................................................. .................................................. .........
Thanks for the input John.
I've never had one. it was merely a suggestion. From what I've read some folks have success with them, others do not.

+1 on the Jetfan
efflux RC is online now Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Apr 03, 2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2014, 03:45 PM
Joined Aug 2008
3,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
bad idea T-cat

Thank you . I haven't done anything to them yet, but Tim from RCLander did contact me and said he would replace the shrouds on both if need be. He recommended to try loctite on them first. The problem with replacing the shrouds means I have to take both completely apart, redo it, and then have to rebalance probabaly. I don't want to even make the effort. Now with what you said as well, I don't really even want to use both of these units. I would love to get just most of my money back, and buy one Jetfan 90 from Gary with an HET motor in it. I know that's loosing two set-ups for only one, but I am really not a fan of the removable stator set-up on these 90mm units. Tim did say the next generation has fixed stators thank god. Thennnnnn, I'll buy RCLander 90mm units again, but not until then. The other smaller EDF's Lander makes have been great for me, but I'm sour as heck with these 90mm units now.

The problem is, I ordered these from Hobbyking USA, so I don't think ParkRC will help me to be honest. Hobbyking USA will probbaly stiff me since these two 90mm EDF's were ordered about a month or two ago (one of them may have been a month, and the other I may have ordered two months ago). They are still brand new though. I just want a Jetfan now, but I can't sink the dough in them until I sell these two brand new units, or maybe get my money back somehow (doubtful).
Last edited by T-CAT; Apr 03, 2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2014, 01:18 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
2,890 Posts
T-Cat,

I had the same thing happen to mine after a few flights. I glued the bolts in with some epoxy still. No problems since. The fan works great.
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
Old Apr 04, 2014, 01:34 AM
Joined Aug 2008
3,572 Posts
Thanks Anlucas. I don't know why they would even design it like this. What a joke.

I'll try to fix it only if Hobbyking won't allow me to return it. I'll let you guys know what happens .
Old Apr 04, 2014, 03:47 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
2,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT View Post
Thanks Anlucas. I don't know why they would even design it like this. What a joke.

I'll try to fix it only if Hobbyking won't allow me to return it. I'll let you guys know what happens .
I don't know why they designed it like this but the issue is definetely one of poor quality bolts. They screw them in at the factory and the tread strips.

You are the 3rd case that I am aware of. DerekB got one with the same issue for his Victory Jet.

I just put a blob of epoxy on the threaded end and pushed it in. 10mins later it was rock solid.

I never contacted HK because it was a simple fix.

If you are not in a hurry then you can claim a new one.

Be aware though that these days, HK support is really slow (3-4 days turnaround), possibly due to the tail end of the Fiji post crisis.
Old Apr 04, 2014, 08:02 AM
Joined Aug 2008
3,572 Posts
Thanks a ton . I appreciate it. I'll definitely keep this in mind. I wonder if CA glue or simple blue loctite would work as well as epoxy. I wouldn't think so because CA and threadlock isn't very thick amd doesn't fill in gaps. I'll stick with Epoxy.
Old Apr 04, 2014, 08:56 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,481 Posts
JB weld epoxy really holds well. Comes in fast or slow cure. It can take heat well as I've glued a spark plug into my first garden tractor and held with stripped threads.
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Apr 04, 2014, 09:49 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
2,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT View Post
Thanks a ton . I appreciate it. I'll definitely keep this in mind. I wonder if CA glue or simple blue loctite would work as well as epoxy. I wouldn't think so because CA and threadlock isn't very thick amd doesn't fill in gaps. I'll stick with Epoxy.
Thick CA would also work - Threadlock no.
Old Apr 04, 2014, 10:05 AM
Joined Aug 2008
3,572 Posts
Thanks 4stripes and anlucas. I really appreciate the input!
Old Apr 04, 2014, 10:37 AM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,015 Posts
Did the bolt strip or did the aluminum body? Worst case if needed you could turn the center body and drill new holes for all the bolts and re thread..but that is a lot of work. Or get green thread locker sleeve retainer
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Apr 04, 2014, 10:46 AM
Joined Aug 2008
3,572 Posts
Thanks Turbo. The hole in the aluminum body stripped. The screws still seem to have good threads. I'll look into the green thread locker sleeve retainer. I've never heard of that so it's definitely worth looking into.