HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2013, 05:31 PM
United States, IL, St Charles
Joined Jan 2013
666 Posts
Discussion
Traxxas emaxx or stampede

Hey guys, I have the rustler vxl right and want the stampede or the emaxx. just want some opinions on which is better and what would be best choice. I like the emaxx because it's larger, but isn't waterproof so I'm torn!
Bnh105 is online now Find More Posts by Bnh105
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2013, 01:14 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Rotterdam
Joined May 2011
13 Posts
An important difference between a Stampede 2WD, 4x4 and Emaxx is price.
I like the 4x4 Pede very much, because it's a very durable machine with tons of possibilities for upgrades to make it close to bullet proof. I assume the 2WD Pede is not an option when you mention Emaxx and Stampede.

Look at price/quality ratio, the amount of fun and durability out of the box, the 4x4 Pede would be my choice.
Petertje60 is offline Find More Posts by Petertje60
Old Nov 04, 2013, 06:46 PM
United States, WA, St John
Joined Jun 2012
517 Posts
Both the brushed and brushless Emaxx are indeed waterproof since 2007 #3905. Are you sure you're not looking at one of the older models of that?

So just looking at those 2 kits and nothing else from either Traxxas or other manufacturers I would say that the Stampede 4x4 is the better buy for the following reasons.

Stampede 4x4 is a newer, stronger design compared to the E Maxx. It has fewer problem areas, is cheaper while still being brushless, and is much more versatile. Just search youtube for Jang's project Shapeshifter to see what a Stampede can do. And if you must have the larger look, swap in a Slash 4x4 chassis, put monster truck tires on it and boom, you have a EMaxx sized vehicle.

A few other things I don't like about the EMaxx, Wonky dual brushed motor setup on the brushed version, requires 2 batteries which is another expense, FRAGILE bulkheads (RPM makes a replacement now) and 8 shocks to tune, maintain, adjust or replace when you want to upgrade.

Don't get me wrong, the EMaxx is a Good rig and it does have that imposing look and size, I just think the Stampede 4x4 is better.
Jimmy the Heater is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy the Heater
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2013, 07:55 PM
Joined Jan 2013
666 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the esc in the brushless emaxx is still not waterproof?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2013, 08:40 PM
Joined Jun 2012
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnh105 View Post
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the esc in the brushless emaxx is still not waterproof?
Wow...you are right, I was looking at the brushed version. So sorry! The Castle system that is in the EMaxx isn't waterproof from the factory. I wonder if Squirrels technique would work to take care of that??

How to water proof ANY heat sinked ESC (19 min 37 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2013, 12:03 AM
Joined Nov 2013
5 Posts
Not to threadjack , but I would like to discuss the models of emaxx a little more, maybe I'll open another thread but..

They offer a factory full waterproofed emaxx in brushed twin titan . The other brushed castle version is NOT waterproof. Is it just the speed control we are talking about or is the brushed titans waterproofed, as well as the castle??
Domindart is offline Find More Posts by Domindart
Old Nov 10, 2013, 02:31 AM
Joined Jun 2012
517 Posts
I'm thinking you mean the castle brushless version?? Since I gave wrong info up above I went and researched the subject to make sure it didn't happen again.

Brushed twin titan ESC, motors, servos, RX, everything is waterproof

Brushless Castle system, everything is waterproof except the ESC.

The only motors that don't react well to water are Sensored Brushless systems. Those can be made waterproof but it is difficult (or so I've read)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2013, 06:43 PM
Joined Nov 2013
5 Posts
Sooo

Could I get a waterproofed servo from ebay and put it on my brushless truck to make the truck full waterproof??
Old Nov 10, 2013, 09:26 PM
Joined Jun 2012
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domindart View Post
Sooo

Could I get a waterproofed servo from ebay and put it on my brushless truck to make the truck full waterproof??
Do you have the brushed or brushless Emaxx right now?...that wasn't clear in your post.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2013, 03:38 AM
Joined Nov 2013
5 Posts
I do not have a emaxx yet. but plan on it or the axial exo terra for xmas
Old Nov 13, 2013, 05:52 AM
Joined Jan 2013
666 Posts
FYI I picked up the brushless emaxx, it is all waterproof minus the esc, so you you will have to buy the new Castle mamba 2,it is waterproof. So now it's all waterproof
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2013, 01:42 PM
RCG Car Editor
United States, CT, Brookfield
Joined Jun 2013
1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnh105 View Post
FYI I picked up the brushless emaxx, it is all waterproof minus the esc, so you you will have to buy the new Castle mamba 2,it is waterproof. So now it's all waterproof
Have you driven it yet? That is a fun truck!
Paul Onorato is online now Find More Posts by Paul Onorato
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A little about me.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 02:44 PM
Joined Jan 2013
666 Posts
Yeah I have, it is a beast on 4s,cant imagine it on 6s! I just ordered some rpm parts to make it really strong!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2013, 03:33 PM
Joined Nov 2013
52 Posts
i have a emaxx myself and my friend has a 4x4 pede. Both are great trucks but pede is were its at
motolife672 is offline Find More Posts by motolife672